Corsair Community

Connecting 6 ML120 and 3 LL120 to PC?

_d0nut

Hello, as in the title I am looking to connect my 3 LL120s and 6 ML120s onto my PC. How would I be able to do this?

There are 6 4 pin PWM connectors on my motherboard. 3 of the fans would be in a package, which includes the Node Pro and RGB LED Hub. Can I just get 2 3 way RGB splitters and connect those to the led hub, as well as 3 2 way PWM fan splitters and connect those to the motherboard’s PWM headers?

Also, is it advisable to go for the Commander Pro in this scenario?

Thanks

Take a look at the RGB FAQ linked in my signature.

Officially, mixing fans on a single hub is not supported. And there are no 3-way RGB splitters for these RGB - they use different cables from Aura so the Aura splitter cables won't work. There are also reasons why it's not always a good idea, too.

For fan control, in any scenario, you can use standard PWM Fan splitters. However, if you are using the Commander Pro, limit yourself to using 2 way splitters. We've seen lots of issues with 3-way splitters on the Commander Pro.

For the RGB Splitters, 2-way RGB splitters that work with the Corsair fans do exist. With all ML fans, you'll be under the power limit. You can also use a splitter on the Lighting Channel so that you can have 2 fan hubs on a single Lighting Channel. However, this works best when both channels are identical, which you wouldn't have. Splitters are available here: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech or you can make your own - check out the link for "Making/Repairing RGB Cables" in my signature.

Question: what is it that you are trying to accomplish with splitters here?

Dude ... there are no "standard" Addressable RGB cables!

And if you are going to say that Asus Aura is the "standard" ... they are NOT. They are just the biggest motherboard manufacturer and have made their own "standard" (which isn't a "standard" because such a thing requires a standards body of different industry participants along with a ratification process ... don't confuse the biggest company on the block pushing their own implementation as a "standard").

Now ... the 4-pin RGB cable that is kinda standard is for 12V, non-Addressable, analog RGB. What Asus did when they added addressable RGB to their motherboards (which was after Corsair had already come out with their Addressable RGB offering) was removed a pin from the kinda-standard 4 pin analog header and made it a 3-pin header for addressable RGB. Gigabyte went down another path until recently - they used a true 3-pin header. Others use 3-pin JST connectors and will ship with adapters for Asus' non-standard.

The problem with this is that it's possible to put the wrong cable on the wrong header. Certainly, they try to mitigate that but ... putting a 5V fan on a 12V header doesn't tend to end very well.

There are standard fan speed connectors and Corsair certainly uses those. But you really need to get this notion that there is an official standard for addressable RGB out there out of your head ... because there isn't. The closest thing to is is probably the JST adapters - as those are seen on addressable RGB cables across the industry. But Asus didn't go down that path.

Archived