The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 05:12 PM

POST ID # = 925672
jayhoo Reputation: 10
Unhappy Power cable burned up (CX750)

I'm not sure if this is power supply issue, power cable issue, or something else.

Last night when I turned on my computer, I thought I smelled something burning. I probably should have turned off my computer at this point, but I was ignorant. Maybe 5 to 10 minutes later, I saw a burst of light come from the back of my PC. I went to check it out and didn't see anything. I opened up my side panel to see if something had happened inside, and didn't see anything. I went to go shut down my computer, but by the time I came back around, I saw something burn up behind my computer. Around 2 inches away from my PC, my power cable connected to my CX750M power supply unit had burned in half and part of it was on fire. I immediately cleared cables from the area, and unplugged the powerbar from the wall.

I've had this power supply unit for 5 years. I'm afraid to change the power plug cable and turn the machine back on and have the same thing happen. Does anyone have a clue if it's an issue with the power plug, or an issue with the Power Supply Unit, or maybe something else? Thanks for any insight

Last edited by jayhoo; 11-08-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: looked like a wall of text

Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926032
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

The power cord lit up?

Replace it and you're fine. That's a fault with your power cord. Not your PSU.

That's not the power cord that came with the PSU, is it?

Tags
burned, cable, power supply, psu