Corsair Community

Need some advice.

Razalus

Heya Corsair community managers and fellow forum members.

I have a Corsair 570x crystal case with three SP120 Fans that come with the case in the front. Three HD120 fans that provide exhaust on the top and rear of my case. Four corsair light strips connected to a lighting node pro. I also just bought the HD140 Fan kit to replace the fans on my NZXT Kraken X62 radiator. So my question is this, What would be the best way to wire all these fans and light strips? Can/should I use two Lighting node pros in one system? I do have a NZXT internal USB hub extender so USB headers are not a problem.

Thanks,

Justin

Can/should I use two Lighting node pros in one system?

You could use 2 x CLNP, but I would recommend a CLCP which is basically a CLNP + 4 x temp sensors + 6 x fan controllers + 4-port USB hub.

I got a couple on Tuesday and so far they are doing OK.

How can the CLCP control 12 LED fans since there are only 6 fan ports? Splitter cables? Daisy chain? Can it control all of the LEDs in all 12 fans uniquely (full control of each LED in each fan for all 12 fans)?

1 x CLCP can control the LEDs of up to 12 x HD fans.

How can the CLCP control 12 LED fans since there are only 6 fan ports? Splitter cables? Daisy chain? Can it control all of the LEDs in all 12 fans uniquely (full control of each LED in each fan for all 12 fans)?

I never specified it could, you should read what I specified.

Further it could control 12 fans if you use 2-way PWM power splitters, though only 6 fan speeds can be reported.

Hi Ray,

Yes of course you are correct. That is not what you said so apologies. I am getting ready to order some HD140 RGB fans and just want to make sure I get the proper hardware. I would appreciate confirmation that I have this straight. Here is what I think.

I can buy the HD140 RGB fan separately or in a 2-pack with the RGB LED Controller and a 6-port RGB LED hub. The fans have 1 wire for fan power and PWM control and another wire for RGB LED control. If I am going to use a CLCP, I think I do not need the RGB LED Controller that comes in the 2-pack but I do need the RGB LED hub.

1. Please confirm this.

The fan's power/PWM control cables plug into one of the 6 fan ports on the CLCP. The fan's RGB LED control wire plugs into a port on the 6-port hub. This is repeated for up to 6 RGB fans. The RGB hub then plugs into one of the 2 LED ports on the CLCP.

If I had more than 6 RGB fans, I can use PWM cable splitters to connect a maximum of 6 more fans to the CLCP. The CLCP has the current capacity to power all 12 fans but only the first 6 will have speeds reported. I assume the PWM data pin is not connected to one side of the PWM splitter cable. To control the RGB LEDs in fans 7 through 12, I would need another RGB LED hub. Fans 7 through 12 would all plug into RGB Hub # 2 which would in turn plug into the 2nd LED port on the CLCP.

2. Please confirm this.

3. If I then want to add RGB LED strips to the mix, in the case with more than 6 fans, I have added a 2nd RGB hub and plugged the 2nd RGB hub into the 2nd LED port on the CLCP, leaving nowhere to plug in the RGB LED strips. So, is there a way to have more than 6 RGB LED fans AND RGB LED Strips all connected to 1 CLCP?

Please confirm this.

There are many permutations and typical sensible options are:

1. 1 x CLCP + <= 6 x HD RGB LED Fans + 1 x LED hub + <= 4 x RGB LED strips
  2. 1 x CLCP + > 6 && <= 12 x HD RGB LED Fans + 2 x LED hub + fan PWM power splitters
  3. 2 x CLCP + > 6 && <= 12 x HD RGB LED Fans + 2 x LED hub + <= 8 x RGB LED strips

How many fans + RGB LED strips would you like? You could also use your 1 x CLCC to control some of the fans.

Thanks Ray. Makes sense but in case #1 if I had 6 RGB LED fans they would fully populate 1 6-port LED hub. Then if I want to ADD >1 LED strip, I would need a 2nd LED hub as there would only be 1 LED port open on the CLCP and each LED strip requires it's own LED port.

Or can an LED strip be plugged into another LED strip which is then plugged into an LED hub or port on the CLCP? Looking at the CLNP, it comes with 4 LED strips but only has 2 LED ports. Spec says it has 2 LED channels each of which can drive a max of 4 strips, so 8 strips max per CLNP. So either you can daisy chain the strips up to 4 end to end or you would need 2 LED hubs to plug the 8 strips into, with each LED hub being plugged into one of the 2 ports on the CLNP (or CLCP).

So what I am not clear on is how multiple LED strips plug into LED ports. Is it strictly 1 strip per port or can you plug strips together end to end to a maximum of 4 strips per port? Sorry if I am being dense.

Archived