Corsair Community

H115i pro and Silent Wings 3

davegl1234

Hi,

Is anyone using corsair iCUE and Silent Wings 3 fans (I have the 140mm, 1600rpm) on a corsair radiator (I have the h115i pro)?

I am having some issues with controlling the rpm of the fans in iCUE. For starters, the fans will shut off with anything below about 90% in the fan curve (and will make strange noises when it does this). It also seems that the fans will only operate at 2 speeds, about 600rpm between 90-99%, and 1600rpm at 100%.

I was just wondering if anyone is seeing similar issues.

Cheers

Dave

Yeah, this has come up in a few places before. The basic summary is SW3 PWM fans are not reacting well to commands when on Corsair controllers (pump or C-Pro). The SW3 DC versions do behave as expected with the typical progressive curve. This is the opposite of the SW2 fans where the PWM one seems to work OK (but with a steep sloping % vs speed) and the DC one gets stuck at 100% (on C-Pro - this is expected behavior on a PWM pump controller).

I don't have an easy answer for you. BQ fans have been a bit odd at times with their PWM behavior and there are other threads in the world connecting this back to a variety of controllers. I don't know exact what the problem is or where to lay blame. However, I think you are beating your head against the wall trying to use SW3 PWM models at this time. I have a lot of these and I do like them, but I am less enamored with them on a radiator. You likely can move them to the motherboard for control or consider a PWM alternative for radiator use.

The ML series is an easy and appropriate radiator fan. I will mention two things. First, the ML will not be as silent as the SW3 as very low RPMs (400-800). There is a small hum related to the magnetic levitation bearing that can be heard when you press against the fan. However, I have never noticed it when running only two fans. With a case full, it bears more consideration for silent PC set-ups.

That said, the ML is excellent at middle speeds and is typically quieter than most fans in those middle ranges where you spend most of your time. In my experience, it is also more effective at pushing air through the radiator than the SW3. There should be a slight performance advantage. There is also a PRO model in all black and red, white, and blue LED models. All offer the same physical performance.

Ah ok, cheers.

So the PRO models are just different colours, I was wondering how they were different.

It also seem there are two different versions of the ML140, one that goes to 2000rpm and one to 1200? Is the former just a newer model?

Ah wait, hang on, just the PRO RGB Version.

Yeah, the RGB version and the grey stock fans that come with the Pro series cooler I typically refer to as ML-Quiet. They have lower max speeds (120mm=1600, 140mm=1200). Aside from that and lights, same blade and same performance from 400-1200 rpm. The twin pack you linked is stripped of beauty, but otherwise the same. The price break is from the missing corner pads and the frame always felt lighter to me. Now that the black Pro version has been out so long, you might find 2 singles for nearly the same price.

• 3 months later...
The H115i is a different cooler and thus different fan controller than on the Pro models or Commander Pro. You also had different stock fans than the Pro users above and I certainly never liked them. This is a good switch for you, but unfortunately the issue still exists on newer coolers and controllers.

• 1 year later...

The best chance you have is to use a powered PWM fan hub and run it's control lead back to one of the H115i Pro connectors. I recently picked up a Silverstone 8 port one and was amazed to get control back over my SW2 and SW3, but only when running off the hub.

To be clear, I have not tried this on a Pro cooler. The AIO have a different fan controller than the Commander Pro and the results may not be the same.

****Now tested and confirmed fail for both direct control and through an external PWM hub. The Pro series coolers use PWM % as the control. The Commander Pro uses RPM and this is a key difference in why it works or does not.

Edited by c-attack

I got my H115i Pro out of the closet and tested. Unfortunately this was a miss with both direct SW3 to H115i Pro connections and when using the Silverstone PWM hub as a go between. The Pro series coolers all use PWM % and this is key a factor. It works with the Commander because it uses RPM based control.

You don't really need 3000 rpm fans for an medium density AIO radiator and your CPU. The radiator won't benefit from speeds above 1800 rpm or so. Your Ryzen is quite efficient and you just don't have the watts to dissipate. The last time I was using my H115i Pro was on a 8700K@5.0 which was an average load of 135-170W when gaming/stressed. My typical coolant delta was +4C. With various ML, Noctua, E-Loop models, but all under 1200 rpm. You can assess your situation now by looking at your own H115i Pro temp from idle to your normal loads and CPU only stress testing. +3C is about as low as you can go on an AIO cooler, so if you are already at +4-5C, the most you can get back at any fan speed is 2C. That's not a good trade off for 3000 rpm noise.

i think i`m gonna use this fans for my build: https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-pro-led-config/p/CO-9050047-WW#tab-tech-specs

I have another question: my radiator is mounted on top, if i put him in front, is it possible to have problems? Kind of not enough liquid? It didn't flow but I think that the temperatures will decrease over time ... I bought and installed it on 2019-04-04, and as temperatures, the liquid almost if it exceeded 40-48 C

In terms of cooler function, it does not matter where you put the cooler or its orientation. In terms of performance, going to the front rail will often you get you back 2-3C in coolant temperature and thus CPU temp as well. It's not much, but those are the stakes. Even in a well ventilated case, the top layer is going to be about 2-3C warmer than the bottom of the case or front intake. This is where the saving come in.

In a restrictive case, it can be a lot more with heavy GPU loads. The GPU waste heat becomes the intake air for the cooler and you get higher than normal results. You usually can see this is normal gaming coolant rise vs CPU stress test data. If the coolant temp goes up +5C when you run a 100% CPU load for 10 min, but goes up +10C when you play a game or anything with extended GPU load, you know the GPU is having an effect -- likely about 6-7C. That is a good situation to move it the front or come up with an alternate case flow arrangement.

In the gaming sessions, my video card (RX 580 Strix) is a bit warm and emits enough heat, that's why I want to move the radiator to the front floor. My case is a Cougar Panzer-S.

I hope that the Corsair fans will not have problems like the ones from Be quiet!, from the beginning of the post.