Corsair Community

Obsidian 250D 240Rad, which fit?

Trophy

Hey there! Since the H100i cpu cooler is getting harder and harder to get your hands on, which other/newer cpu coolers fit inside the 250D case? I know that the H105 doesn't but do the H100i GTX fit? From the dimensions i've found online it seems to be slightly larger than the prev. H100i

Thanks for any responses! :D

I'm sorry, but I just fitted a H100i GTX and OMG the pipes are terrible. They are too thick and too hard to bend properly into the case. If you plan on keeping the optical tray for any reason (I have a fan controller installed, so need to keep the tray in), it will NOT fit without some serious work. If the pipes were as they are, but have pivoting joints going into the CPU block itself, perfect.

This might just be my experience with the H100i GTX and the 250D and it might fit perfectly into say a 450D.

I generally love Corsair products (all of my PSU's, coolers and cases have been Corsair), but the design team on thinking of connecting the pipes directly to the CPU block with no movement on a 'universal' AIO cooler just seems stupid.

• Corsair Employee

So the tubes go directly down into the block as a way to reduce flow resistance, allowing the cooler to function better. Honestly I'd almost take the performance hit for pivoting tubes, but that's just me.

We do still offer the "old school" H100i on our web store, which is a bit easier to install in the 250D.

So the tubes go directly down into the block as a way to reduce flow resistance, allowing the cooler to function better. Honestly I'd almost take the performance hit for pivoting tubes, but that's just me.

We do still offer the "old school" H100i on our web store, which is a bit easier to install in the 250D.

The performance has definitely improved thanks to the direct and larger pipes, before I tried cramming the unit into the case I was getting 5-6c better across all cores on my 2500k @ 4.5GHz.

Obviously sacrifices could be made, maybe the OP doesn't require the optical bay tray and the pipes can bend more freely.

Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm currently using the H80i in push/pull config in the front and it's a tight fit, Good thing the spare ram I had that i'm using for the build was low profile. It would never have fit because of the tubes if not! :)

I am looking to begin a build that uses the Obsidian 250D, H100i GTX, and Gigabyte's G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, and I will likely put a EVGA 970 GTX FTW+. I would use Corsair's low profile ram DDR4 2400 (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R), which I hope aides with airflow and the flexibility of the H100i GTX's hoses. Anyway, I guess I want to make sure it all will fit.

I am looking to begin a build that uses the Obsidian 250D, H100i GTX, and Gigabyte's G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, and I will likely put a EVGA 970 GTX FTW+. I would use Corsair's low profile ram DDR4 2400 (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R), which I hope aides with airflow and the flexibility of the H100i GTX's hoses. Anyway, I guess I want to make sure it all will fit.

Barring the RAM, this is what I am building today. I will probably have to install and uninstall the cooler a few times before I figure out what works. I want to use my optical drive.

I managed to squeeze in the cooler with the hoses at the back but I haven't mounted the block on the CPU yet. The Corsair fans are sitting against the edge of the mb. The bottom hose sits against a card protruding from the MB.I read all of the posts and watched all of the videos. I bought slim fans which Corsair doesn't seem to offer. They were only 3 pin non-PWM. I mounted them and everything before realizing I need the PWM so I re-mounted the Corsair fans. When I mount the block on the CPU, I am not sure if the hoses will fit when I try to slide the top on. It looks like they may have to be crammed down inside which might cause issues.

If you completely remove the bottom bracket that the rad screws in to, you can install the rad and fans and put the bracket back as the very last thing you do on the build. This gives some flexibility because the bottom of the rad can be pushed out a little to install/uninstall ram and plug in power cables, etc. When you go to screw in the bottom bracket, the fans will push right up on the MB so you may end up with a mm or so of the rad pushing out the side which may make it difficult to slide the side of the case back on. No, I am not going to do strange things like mount fans outside of the case.

This is not an elegant solution at all. It is blatantly obvious (now) that the GTX was not engineered with the 250D in mind. So, I may have to flip the rad around so the hoses come out of the rad on the front side of the case instead of the back and I might have to forego the optical drive tray and drop money on an external drive.

I want liquid cooling due to the environment I operate in. High temps and high humidity. I don't want to build another huge computer. In this day and age, we should be able to get performance and a system that will last us at least 5 years in a smaller package.

I wish Corsair would advise us on which liquid cooling system is built specifically for the 250D because it's not the H100I GTX. As was mentioned previously, the H100I is scarce and quite a bit more expensive than the GTX. I wish I could use slim fans but I believe I need the PWM and although there's a few slim 120s out there, I don't think they will be effective enough for static pressure even if they do have the PWM.

So I am stuck with what I have and I hope I can figure something out that will last me the next 5-6 years and be reliable.

I'm facing the same issues Shrinker, can't find a H100i for less than $150 here in Spain, no way I'm paying more than the original price because the 250D is a hard fit. I'm thinking about going with the H80i in the front of the case. I just finished the build but the Cooler Master Nepton 240M was a tight squeeze. I have set for exhaust, fans against the Mobo. It did fit but I had to remove two of it's unique fan thumb screws. one of the tubes is slightly pinched by USB3 box on the mobo. The pump squeeks so I'm returning it to Amazon.es. There aren't any more available and I only buy from Amazon in Spain. Decent customer service.

Anyway, the Devils Canyon i5 4690K overclocks to 4500 at lower voltage with temps running much cooler than my Haswell i74770K. Post Haswell chips overclock at cooler temps so perhaps the H80i is a solution for you too.

That sounds like that all would fit, but as mentioned, you may have to remove the optical drive tray to get it to work.

Thanks for the response, would a MSI 980ti 6GB fit? It looks like it will length wise, but I am not certain about height.

I finished building out the 250D. I am using it to post this.

I used the Gigabyte GAA-Z97N-Gaming 5

Intel I7-4790K

Corsair H100I GTX

and my old EVGA GTX 750 TI

I managed to fit it all in. The radiator has to be facing outside the case with the fans inside. Otherwise the hose that enters the bottom of the rad will not clear the card (I think it's WiFi) protruding from the board. The card is mounted on a steel plate that is very ridgid and even though the hose still rests on it, the card and plate do not bend. So there is some pressure on the hose. It shouldn't be a problem.

The build turned out very nice and clean. I am able to put the optical drive tray in no problem.

Maybe I will post a picture later. I haven't seen one yet built with my parts or using the H100I GTX without modifying fans but we know now it can be done. I think this computer will last quite a few years.

I may have to remove the fans and flip them around. It seems that tright now, they are exhausting out of the case instead of pulling fresh air through the rad. I need all of the fans pulling air in so the air exhausts out the rear of the case. All of the vents on the case have filters but the back opening and I don't want dirt/hair being sucked in to the case.

The Gigabyte MB is nice. Everything worked perfectly the first time I powered the rig on so I am chuffed.

Yes it should fit, atleast since the Gigabyte windforce does :)

It will be tight, the MSi cards are wider than the Gigabyte counterpart. Not only is the PCB wider, the cooling shroud and heat pipes add extra height. That being said, there is loads of room to accommodate the vast majority of cards, but if you ever plan on water cooling it, the block might then be too high.

It fits. Tight like a tiger..

22460502572_b2e1c3f7bf_z.jpg

22484832121_396b89c6b3_z.jpg

22484912501_a88263cc83_z.jpg

Glad you managed to get it to fit. The pipes over the board would drive me nuts though :p

It will be tight, the MSi cards are wider than the Gigabyte counterpart. Not only is the PCB wider, the cooling shroud and heat pipes add extra height. That being said, there is loads of room to accommodate the vast majority of cards, but if you ever plan on water cooling it, the block might then be too high.

Glad you managed to get it to fit. The pipes over the board would drive me nuts though :p

That looks like a EVGA card, tho. Is it the same width? Sorry, for not knowing this right off the top of my head. I know, though, for example, that the EVGA classified 980TI does not fit.

Otherwise the build looks great! Could you up the front fan size or does the radiator prevent it? From the angle, it looks like the rad gets in the way.

What would probably drive you nuts is the fact that when the sides and top are off of the case, the frame becomes wobbly and when you try to lift it or move it around, it twists. Anyone using the case has to be careful of that.

There's no issue with the hoses over the board. The one hose does touch the corner of that card as it leaves the RAD but it's not an issue at all. The Gigabyte board also seems to be a very durable board. The smaller form factor makes it more rigid than a full size ATX MB. The card that the hose touches is mounted to a very strong steel bracket that would be nearly impossible to break or bend without breaking the MB. The hoses on the GTX don't kink and the material that protects the hoses is high quality.

I flipped the fans around so they suck fresh air in to the case. In the pictures, the fans are mounted so they would blow air out.

Using Corsair link software, you can choose different fan speeds or a custom curve. Anything but silent mode is almost unbearable. It gets loud. I ran my games and watched high res videos and my CPU didn't even break 35C while the fans and pump were on silent mode. Even if I crank the pump on the cooler up to performance mode, I cannot hear it.

The top panel of the case should have a small handle at the back, the same way the side panels do. It's difficult to slide it back and I don't know why they didn't include the little place you can get your finger tips in to help pull it back. I also wish that magnetic dust filter were included to protect the 80mm fan vents at the back of the case and the hard drive bay vents. Then the entire case would be protected from dust on the interior. Since these vents are exhaust vents, they should not be sucking air in but blowing it out.

I wish either the case was a couple MM wider or the H100I GTX was a couple MM thinner but it did fit in and I don't see any issues with the build that would cause the lifespan of the system to be shortened.

I am very happy with this machine. There's nothing about it that irks me. I think it will serve me well for some years.

That looks like a EVGA card, tho. Is it the same width? Sorry, for not knowing this right off the top of my head. I know, though, for example, that the EVGA classified 980TI does not fit.

Otherwise the build looks great! Could you up the front fan size or does the radiator prevent it? From the angle, it looks like the rad gets in the way.

For my system, I could put a larger/thicker fan in the front if I wanted to. The fan it comes with will move plenty of air if I crank it up. A larger fan would possibly affect the optical drive tray if you wanted that in there.

For my system, I could put a larger/thicker fan in the front if I wanted to. The fan it comes with will move plenty of air if I crank it up. A larger fan would possibly affect the optical drive tray if you wanted that in there.

Cool. Thanks for replying on that. So why this over something like the Carbide Series® Air 240?

• 5 weeks later...
I'm facing the same issues Shrinker, can't find a H100i for less than $150 here in Spain, no way I'm paying more than the original price because the 250D is a hard fit. I'm thinking about going with the H80i in the front of the case. I just finished the build but the Cooler Master Nepton 240M was a tight squeeze. I have set for exhaust, fans against the Mobo. It did fit but I had to remove two of it's unique fan thumb screws. one of the tubes is slightly pinched by USB3 box on the mobo. The pump squeeks so I'm returning it to Amazon.es. There aren't any more available and I only buy from Amazon in Spain. Decent customer service.

Anyway, the Devils Canyon i5 4690K overclocks to 4500 at lower voltage with temps running much cooler than my Haswell i74770K. Post Haswell chips overclock at cooler temps so perhaps the H80i is a solution for you too.

Heres a pic of mine with the H80i in push/pull, its tight alright! But it does fit nicely and gets the job done. :)

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/Trophy69/V_kBT63d6I4YOL8f2sh1m99x8UmVcKw0ueJfwabhN7I.jpg

• 4 months later...

Did you do this build @fropwns?

I have the exact same gear I am trying to fit and the hoses from the H100i GTX wont allow me to slide the radiator all the way down passed the wifi components on the MB... so I cant even screw down the radiator to the case. ALso looks like once I mount the fans onto the radiator before final fitment, the fans will stand out too proud and then will bump up against the edge of the MB. Slight problem. I am going to have to look for a smaller radiator.

I also agree, the hoses on the H100i GTX are a little unweildly for the 250D, even with the optical bay removed, it does look like they would comfortably mate down over the CPU, even if I could fit the radiator over the components on the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5...

Pity, as I liked all these components specs together.

Best,

John

Did you do this build @fropwns?

I have the exact same gear I am trying to fit and the hoses from the H100i GTX wont allow me to slide the radiator all the way down passed the wifi components on the MB... so I cant even screw down the radiator to the case. ALso looks like once I mount the fans onto the radiator before final fitment, the fans will stand out too proud and then will bump up against the edge of the MB. Slight problem. I am going to have to look for a smaller radiator.

I also agree, the hoses on the H100i GTX are a little unweildly for the 250D, even with the optical bay removed, it does look like they would comfortably mate down over the CPU, even if I could fit the radiator over the components on the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5...

Pity, as I liked all these components specs together.

Best,

John

I have a new-in-box H100 that should work fine. Send me a PM if you're interested! Actually, I'll send you one as well, just in case.

-Doc

Hello. I am looking to build a system for myself using the 250D. I am curious if the H100i v2 will fit with this case normally if I use an Asus ROG Maximum Impact motherboard. It looks like it might be pretty tight, and I see that the v2 is a little bigger than the original H100i, so I wanted to ask about it before buying the v2.

Also, I saw some posts mentioning the H100i GTX, but I didn't see it on the Corsair website page for coolers. Is this an alternative to the H100i v2 that I should be considering?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Archived