Corsair Community

Force GT 120GB random freezing issue query

basket

Hi.

Recieved my new Force GT 120GB SSD, along with the other components of my new sandy bridge machine last Saturday (23rd July 2011).

Built the machine and all working amazingly fast and fine, and got Windows 7 freshly installed, the usual bits and bobs needed - AV/drivers/messenger/etc - and so on, and all was good, but had a issue copying some files from a external drive to the SSD whereby it lagged for a few minutes but then carried on and i didnt think anything of it.

Noticed this lag happening the following day (and every day up to now) while browsing - aka pretty much everything on the screen just is unresponsive, sometimes you can click certain things but otherwise it just sits there frozen, and then it carrys on again like nothing happened and all is fine again.

This seems to happen a few times in the evening (i only use it in the evening generally as I'm at work :p: ) and in checking the Event View logs, I find the following is logged at the same time as the lag:

Log Name:      System
Source:        iaStor
Date:          25/07/2011 21:56:11
Event ID:      9
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      XXXXXXXXX
Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
 <System>
   <Provider Name="iaStor" />
   <EventID Qualifiers="49156">9</EventID>
   <Level>2</Level>
   <Task>0</Task>
   <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
   <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-07-25T20:56:11.928029900Z" />
   <EventRecordID>3974</EventRecordID>
   <Channel>System</Channel>
   <Computer>XXXXXXXXX</Computer>
   <Security />
 </System>
 <EventData>
   <Data>\Device\Ide\iaStor0</Data>
   <Binary>0F0028000100000000000000090004C011111111090004C0010000000000000067452301EFCDAB89010000000000CCCC2A00B0CD80032040000000003C0000000B000000AC1817A70B000000E57579BE</Binary>
 </EventData>
</Event>

Last night, it started lagging and then Blue Screen'd and i had to reset the machine.

Note, there is no overclocking or any such fancy features turned on with my machine presently.

It seems very much the case that it is exactly the same symptoms as the other issues mentioned on this forum, and indeed other manufacturers using the SandForce 2281 chip in their SSD's.

Looking back through the event viewer log, I noticed that i had the lag before and after installing the Intel RST drivers, so its unlikely to be a driver issue in this case.

Have tried the reg fix (cant remember its name but it's where u add some reg values to disable some power management features on that port connected to the SSD etc - u know what i'm refering to here I'm sure) which hasnt helped.

About a hour ago, I've tried enabling hotplug on the port connected to the SSD (again, which can help prevent the issue, as suggested elsewhere).

Regardless of any of these workarounds actually working, please advise me as to whether there is a firmware update to address this, I should RMA this with yourselves, or return the supplier I bought this from?

I'm quite disappointed because the performance of the drive is immense (windows boots in about 8 seconds - after BIOS post) and I really want to keep it, but I'm not prepared to put up with these issues or having to use workarounds when I've spent a large amount of money on this.

Another little thing i notice is that on this thread ( http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95825 ) that depsite this thread stating that Force GT's arent affected, my serial number starts with 1121 so with both the Force 3 and the Force GT using the same Sandforce chip (as far as i know), along with oher manufacturer's drives that are also experiencing these issues, could mine be faulty too?

Hope you can suggest something, and apologises if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Another little thing i notice is that on this thread ( http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95825 ) that depsite this thread stating that Force GT's arent affected, my serial number starts with 1121 so with both the Force 3 and the Force GT using the same Sandforce chip (as far as i know), along with oher manufacturer's drives that are also experiencing these issues, could mine be faulty too?

Hope you can suggest something, and apologises if I've posted this in the wrong place.

As noted, ONLY the Force 3 120GB drives were affected by that specific issue.

You may want to read thru some of the other threads here. The first troubleshooting step I recommend is to try a different SATA cable. This has helped some users.

this error "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period" is caused by not setting sata to "hot plug enabled" in bios...

besides, my experience is that msahci (ms ahci driver) is much more stable then iastor (intel rapid store driver).

Just to update things...

So far so good tonight (though it has only been a few hours yet).

@Yellowbeard:

Have read through quite alot of threads - here and on other manufacturer sites - apologises for not saving them to link on here.

I presume there is no difference in SATA cables when it comes to SATA II and III drives? The mobo only came with two cables and i have my previous old SATA II HDD attached with one of these new cables (before anyone asks no, the error isnt on the old HDD ;) I've triple checked which is which) but we could certainly switch the cables around to see if that makes any difference, although as we've enabled hotplug on the port, will see if the lagging repeats itself now until we change anything else (troubleshooting 101 there ;))

Had zero errors or anything else in the Administrative Events log since firing up the machine after enabling the hot plug option in the BIOS.

My mate (who has done this sort of thing professionally for the past 15 years) finds it a bit strange that you'd have to enable the hotplug option to prevent the lagging - everything should "just work" we'd have thought but providing there isnt a issue with the drive, then i guess tweaks are needed i suppose.

Love that avatar picture btw :)

@jeroompje - do you have any official links that state that this is required at all?

We did have the lagging previous to installig the Intel RST driver too remember :) but thanks for the replies (Every little helps as they say :)) although I read that the reg fix method only works when you are using the Intel RST - from what i read - which was a reason why we ensured we were using the latest version of it (and for performance reasons too of course).

So far so good.... will report back with more as and when (or if) it should happen again.

Many thanks guys.

Thats what I dont understand either.... but like i say, so far so good, although it was very random when it did/does it so not sure.

For fun, I've just ran ATTO on it with stock settings of ATTO and here's what it gave:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2l49xw.jpg

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Corsair Force 3 120GB , serial starts with 1128

and have the same exact problem as you are having.

I am using Asus p8Z68-V Pro , SSD is connected to Intel Z68 SATA 3

did you fix your issue? does turning on the hotswap solve this issue?

I just got the Corsair Force 3 120GB , serial starts with 1128

and have the same exact problem as you are having.

I am using Asus p8Z68-V Pro , SSD is connected to Intel Z68 SATA 3

did you fix your issue? does turning on the hotswap solve this issue?

Update the firmware.

Archived