Corsair Community

Lighting Profiles work on Boot when Win Locked

OriginalOreos

I wouldn't say that it's here to stay. Corsair has heard the feedback loud and clear and, from what I understand, they are looking into options to address this a bit better. No word, however, on any kind of ETA.

For the record ... I'm with you. I'd like to see my profiles continue unabated, personally. I think a drop down option for how to handle workstation lock would make everyone happy (Current Profile ... Specific Profile ... Lights Off ... Unicorn Vomit). My daughter is a particular fan of unicorn vomit so it does have its fans.

That's good to hear. A specific, even if static, profile for lock state would make a lot of people very happy.

I would love for Corsair to have a public high-level road-map for iCue; I think that would stop a lot of negative discussion on here.

LINK was able to save lighting to the devices but the patterns we use in iCUE are very different than what we used in LINK (preset lighting is defined by mathematical algorithms). Currently we are working on a plan to reintroduce saving hardware lighting to Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, and all PRO coolers. But we'll need some time since all of the lighting is basically being redone to support this.

THANK YOU! I appreciate the transparency.

• Corsair Employee
That's good to hear. A specific, even if static, profile for lock state would make a lot of people very happy.

I would love for Corsair to have a public high-level road-map for iCue; I think that would stop a lot of negative discussion on here.

I am open to transparency and don't mind doing a known issues list but I honestly don't have the time to maintain it and people tend to run away with conclusions if left unattended. However, I can always answer questions here and there as long as its not confidential info thats being sought.

I am open to transparency and don't mind doing a known issues list but I honestly don't have the time to maintain it and people tend to run away with conclusions if left unattended. However, I can always answer questions here and there as long as its not confidential info thats being sought.

Fully understand the confidentiality aspect of it.

I also agree that an issues list - unmaintained - will actually cause more issues. Whatever you're using for bug tracking might have some kind of export function that would automatically keep a public list up to date... hopefully :)

For me the top questions would be:

1] Confirmation that there is a plan to do something about the "unicorn vomit" when the machine is locked.

2] A rough estimate of when we might see it (e.g. Q3 '18)

3] A top-ten of issues that are being investigated

4] Is there a plan to allow a key-press to trigger a lighting event on keys other than the one pressed? For example; I would like all keys that are impacted by shift to change colour if I hold a shift key down. Also... Caps Lock state changing the colour of the alpha keys to indicate if I'll get a upper or lower character.

If you are able to implement 1 & 4 I would be about out of ideas for meaningful improvements for me.

BTW... 3.5.111 is your best release yet (I'm no longer having to restart the corsair service to fix my fans).

I too want the unicorn vomit issue to be fixed.

I purposefully bought six ML RGB fans and the Corsair light strips because of the "hardware profile" feature which is supposed to make the lights to always display the profile i want from the moment i press the power button. And it worked great in Link. But with iCue the hardware profile feature just doesn't work.

I use a red themed lighting profile for my PC and my eyes bleed every single time i boot my PC and it displays the unicorn vomit pattern.

What I do also know is that the Corsair team takes feedback to heart and really does try to not only meet customer needs but exceed expectations. But it's a no-win situation; they're gonna make someone angry. And they're human too ... so sometimes they miss the mark. And I would bet you dollars to donuts that the minute that a version of iCue is released that changes the lock behavior from rainbows to anything else, there's gonna be someone up here on this forum screaming that it's the worst thing that Corsair ever did. 'Cuz that's how these here forums roll.

If you want to come up here and get all snitty about it, have at it. But that's typically counter-productive. If, however, you'd like to have a productive conversation where you do more than just complain about a feature that isn't there that you think should be there and actually discuss what an potential implementation might look like, that can be pretty productive ... and might actually influence future direction.

I don't care much what happens during boot, but as soon as the service starts I expect it to do what I want it to do - at all times...

For the record ... I'm with you. I'd like to see my profiles continue unabated, personally. I think a drop down option for how to handle workstation lock would make everyone happy (Current Profile ... Specific Profile ... Lights Off ... Unicorn Vomit).

That's exacly, what I was about to suggest. This should give everybody the posibility to set his/her expected behaviour.

It should also not be too hard to implement, since the service is still running when locked and aparently already "detects" when it is locked. It just has to react accordingly...

LINK was able to save lighting to the devices but the patterns we use in iCUE are very different than what we used in LINK (preset lighting is defined by mathematical algorithms). Currently we are working on a plan to reintroduce saving hardware lighting to Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, and all PRO coolers. But we'll need some time since all of the lighting is basically being redone to support this.

This seems to be the next step.

Changing the hardware default would be a nice feature.

But please add the possibility to change the "software" default first.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still voting with my Amazon reviews at 1 star.

The product is custom lighting. The lighting is only custom when my PC is unlocked. Product only works part-time. Product not delivered as advertised.

Unless I missed the fine print in the advertising showing off their fancy features that says *Only works when your computer is unlocked** then this falls under false promises and a product not fully delivered. Simple.

I'm still voting with my Amazon reviews at 1 star.

The product is custom lighting. The lighting is only custom when my PC is unlocked. Product only works part-time. Product not delivered as advertised.

Unless I missed the fine print in the advertising showing off their fancy features that says *Only works when your computer is unlocked** then this falls under false promises and a product not fully delivered. Simple.

I agree, I am very close to returning my Spec Omega RGB, This is not what is advertised :(

Everytime my PC Boots it's like it's doing some Pride parade, on a Unicorn, playing Mario Kart

While this is great, as quick fix i think a simple off or solid colour profile is enough until iCue kicks in.

is there an ETA? I still have about 12 days left before I can return my case and the extra HD140 fans I Bought

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but it appears still relevant. It's now been over two years and this still doesn't seem to have been addressed. I personally would like an option to pick the profile under lock or continue to have the active profile continue running until the machine is unlocked. I think a configuration option would be the best to make the most people happy.

I fully understand the hardware lighting options, but they are limited and I don't get the logic for disconnecting the USB devices when the system is locked. It just causes a lot of flashing when I lock / unlock my profile even though I have one lighting profile I use when locking so that the main profile and hardware profile are in sync as the RAM doesn't default to hardware settings. It's very inconsistent due to the USB disconnect of the devices and the varying behavior across the various products.

The hardest part for me to get is this works pretty much how you want it to when the machine boots up and no one is logged in. Why that can't continue into the lock screen and hasn't been able to be added as a setting in over two years is hard to comprehend.

I really like the Corsair fans and lighting effects, but honestly this lack of ability to fully control lighting when the machine is locked which is a significant amount of time, will cause me to move to a different vendors solution for my next build.

Hopefully adding some configuration options in this area can get on the dev plan.

• Corsair Employee
I know this is an old thread, but it appears still relevant. It's now been over two years and this still doesn't seem to have been addressed. I personally would like an option to pick the profile under lock or continue to have the active profile continue running until the machine is unlocked. I think a configuration option would be the best to make the most people happy.

I fully understand the hardware lighting options, but they are limited and I don't get the logic for disconnecting the USB devices when the system is locked. It just causes a lot of flashing when I lock / unlock my profile even though I have one lighting profile I use when locking so that the main profile and hardware profile are in sync as the RAM doesn't default to hardware settings. It's very inconsistent due to the USB disconnect of the devices and the varying behavior across the various products.

The hardest part for me to get is this works pretty much how you want it to when the machine boots up and no one is logged in. Why that can't continue into the lock screen and hasn't been able to be added as a setting in over two years is hard to comprehend.

I really like the Corsair fans and lighting effects, but honestly this lack of ability to fully control lighting when the machine is locked which is a significant amount of time, will cause me to move to a different vendors solution for my next build.

Hopefully adding some configuration options in this area can get on the dev plan.

Software control not being able to be utilized when the system is locked is a Windows limitation. You will need to utilize the hardware profile capability that most of our products have.

Software control not being able to be utilized when the system is locked is a Windows limitation. You will need to utilize the hardware profile capability that most of our products have.

Could you elaborate on the windows limitation (KB or API documentation)? I'd be interested in looking into a workaround.