Corsair Community

HELP! H115i guide

fieldrequired

Hi,

Just built my first system and i am so confused as to how the H115i operates.

I've followed the manual and have connected my stock rad fans into the Y splitter and plugged the 3 pin into the CPU header; as well as connecting up the sata cable. Now unfortunately i am unable to plug in the usb cable as i have no port on my mobo or an adapter for now. I'm building on the VIII impact in the NZXT manta which comes fitted with a PWM hub. How do I go about setting this up so that things actually work the way they're supposed to? It just shows CPU fans running at 1500 all of the time. How does the 3 pin regulate the PWM fans? Can i just plug the rad fans into the PWM huns cpu cooler port and run it through that?

Cheers,

FR

How do I go about setting this up so that things actually work the way they're supposed to?

It's hard to help you as you have not added your PC specs to you profile so you need to do this.

The H115i reports a fan speed to the CPU_FAN header, not the pump speed.

I think you are saying that you don't have enough USB 2 headers. If this is the case then I suspect you should get an NZXT IU01 USB Expansion.

I think what you have done so far is correct.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. My system:

- i7 6700k

- viii impact

- H115i

- 16gb ddr4 dominator

- NZXT manta (using inbuilt PWM fan hub)

- stock 3 pin case fans

So how do I control the CPU fan speeds with the 3 pin plugged in and the fans into the pump y splitter without the usb cable? My mobo only has CPU fan header and CHA fan header. The PWM hub states I should plug the PWM cable to CPU header and plug 4 pin CPU cooler into that. The H115 manual says to also plug the 3 pin pump into CPU header and fans into the Y. I only have one CPU header on my mobo. What should I do? I've gone and plugged the PWM fan hub into the CPU header on the mobo and then plugged the 3 pin pump into the CPU cooler on the fan hub with the rad fans into the pump y splitter. I can now change the speeds but it still shows the cpu at 1500 rpm!

Add your PC specs to you profile, don't post them. Once in your profile they can be easily checked without having to go searching for them.

The H115i is designed to control it's radiator fans. you should start by connecting it to a USB header, the CPU_FAN header and use the Corsair Link software to control things.

I have no idea what "the PWM hub" is. I guess that it's NZXT so I expect you will do better to ask about it on the NZXT forum. I suspect you should not be using this at all given you have a H115i you don't have any CPU fans!

I have CPU fans attached to the H115i rad block if thats what you mean? I guess I'm just going to have to get a usb connector and wire up link. If I assemble as per the manual - 3 pin in CPU header and fans into Y and forget the PWM hub - will the h115i automatically adjust the h115i rad fans as CPU heats up then?

will the h115i automatically adjust the h115i rad fans as CPU heats up then?

Yes and no as it depends on how you configure them to operate. Many users use a custom curve to automatically adjust the fan speeds depending on the coolant temperature or CPU package temperature.

I suspect once you have CL controlling the H115i things will become clearer.

I have CPU fans attached to the H115i rad block if thats what you mean? I guess I'm just going to have to get a usb connector and wire up link. If I assemble as per the manual - 3 pin in CPU header and fans into Y and forget the PWM hub - will the h115i automatically adjust the h115i rad fans as CPU heats up then?

Corsair LINK coolers control fan speed based on the water temperature inside the system. The fans help remove heat from the water, not cool the CPU directly so this is a logical and more stable control variable. However, it does take some getting used to if you haven't done it before. The USB cable is required for the CL program. I am surprised the fans don't adjust their speed in the default configuration, but perhaps you did not present enough load. Water temperature is a slow to change variable. Some short CPU spike isn't enough to change water temperature and your fans will stay smooth and steady until needed.

As mentioned above, if you don't have any USB 2.0 headers, you will need to pursue one of the possible solutions. In the meantime, you can take the fans off the pump splitter and move them to CPU & OPT on the top of the board. Move the 3 pin pump connector to Water_Pump or another CHA header. This will give you control over the fans, although they will hop and down will CPU loads. You will not have control over lighting, the pump, or be able to see it's speed or water temperature. However, this should be a functional state in the interim.

Move the 3 pin pump connector to Water_Pump or another CHA header.

No, this is not the pump speed on a H115i :brick:. It's quite simple:

1. Asetek coolers report a fan speed and if you move the fans to the motherboard nothing.
  2. CoolIT coolers report the pump speed

I am more concerned about how the H115i behaves in its default setting if the 3 pin is not connected and without Link running. That is an unknown to me. The alternative is to leave it dangling on the board and whether it is reporting or not, my preference would be to put in on an otherwise useless water pump header so it's out of the way.

Post #9 is one alternative, with the listed caveats. You can't play around with all the settings, but it will be a functional cooler with fan speed control from the motherboard BIOS or AI Suiite. No reason to run Corsair Link with this arrangement. It will be non-functional.

I have my H110i GT pump cable connected to the cpu-pump header and the 2 fans to the cpu-fan and opt headers. Using Asus software (Link 4 won't install and link 3 won't detect my cooler) the fan speed and water temp are shown as are the fan speeds, which I can also control. It appears to let me control the pump, but I have some doubts about that (the usb cable is connected).

I don't want to lose USB3.0 connectivity to the front i.o. What is the purpose of the 3 pin cable then?

That just provides a fan speed to the CPU_FAN header.

You could get a USB-A to mini-USB cable and connect to H115i to one of the ports on the back on the motherboard.

Red Ray, I'm the guy who had the fan theory post that you and c-attack helped me on. I've been reading this in preparation for my build. I'm getting the H110i like you suggested before. But my MoBo is the extremely highly rated and recommended and brand new Gigabyte GA-X170X Gaming 7ATX LGA 1151. It has a bazillion connectors, including two dual PCIex4 M.2 slots. But it has no U.2 slot. Does that mean I will have this problem correctly hooking up the H110i? If I have to get adaptor cables, I'm changing Motherboards now. I'm reading everything I can to keep from having problems before I buy these parts.

Archived