Corsair Community

Force 240 lost entire content

ksmith3036

I bought a new HP laptop this summer, but replaced the original hd with a Force 240GB - CSSD-F240GB2-BRKT.

Everything has worked fine, really haven't had any problems either with sleep mode, hibernation or anything.

But yesterday was a different story:

First sign was that after a boot from hibernation, Windows 7 complained that it was an abnormal shutdown, so had to boot from scratch.

Then, at next boot (after another hibernation): The computer said there was no operating system on the disk. Tried to boot without battery on external power, as suggested by some on the forum, but to no help.

I booted up on Win7 DVD, and opened a command prompt in repair mode.

The disk was unformatted, seemed to have lost at least it's partition information.

Using a USB pen, I tried finding partitions using several tools: Partition Find and Mount, EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard and EASEUS Partition Master.

They did not find a single partition on the disk, of the four that was there before the crash.

Today I ran the HxD hex editor and opened the disk, and browsing it, I only seem to find bytes containing 0 (except a signature in the first sector, which I guess Win7 wrote ehen booting off DVD). Of course I haven't browsed the complete disk, but I yet to find any content at all.

Hxd is right now creating statistics of the disk for me, maybe that will show if there is any content on the disk.

For now, it seems to me that the disk suddenly has been emptied/completely erased, and if this is the case: HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN??

Maybe a trim command on shutdown was somehow mangled, so that it trimmed the whole disk? If so there must be some lack of safeguard in the TRIM command. TRIM shouldn't be allowed to trim a complete disk.

Or maybe the SSD faulted, and only gives me zero's?

My PC is a HP Elitebook 8440p (VQ664EA).

BIOS: AHCI-mode

No special drivers or config's done.

I will reinstall Windows on the disk again, for test, but to me this SSD thing seems to be to risky to use. There must be dangerous bugs in the firmware.

Kaare

• Corsair Employee
NP Please let me know if that happens again and I would create a image or back up of the drive should it happen again you can recover the drive and we can get it replaced. But I have had that happen on a spinning HDD in my case a update wiped the drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Just writing to notify that the exact same thing happened with my F80.

Firmware: 320A13F0

Raw Read Error Rate: 118, worst 116

Retired Block Count: 94

On-the-Fly ECC Uncorrectable Error Count: 118, wors 116

SSD Life left: 91

I was running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with TRIM enabled and got a BSOD after sleep mode. Then the disk was erased (showed up as unallocated).

Using some recovery tool the only thing left on the disk was 4 sytem files; something to do with the NTFS file sytem. Not more than 200mb of data...

What the heck? :mad: This happened after a month of use and I lost several important files. If failure within a month is normal then this product should have a big red warning on it!

Can you post a screenshot of CrystalDisk info? What RAM GUY is saying is that we do not have a firmware 320A13F0 and have never sold a drive with any firmware numbered like this. Our firmwares are in fact based on the 3.1.0 and 3.2.0 SandForce firmwares but, we do not use that numbering system. Our firmwares to this point are 1.0 (3.1.0) and 1.1 (3.2.0).

Can you post a screenshot of CrystalDisk info? What RAM GUY is saying is that we do not have a firmware 320A13F0 and have never sold a drive with any firmware numbered like this. Our firmwares are in fact based on the 3.1.0 and 3.2.0 SandForce firmwares but, we do not use that numbering system. Our firmwares to this point are 1.0 (3.1.0) and 1.1 (3.2.0).

Okay, here is a screenshot for you!

I have no reason to believe it is a fake disk. And I think it was sealed when I got it so I don't see how anyone could have changed the firmware.

This sure is interesting!

crystaldisk.png.a7be915a3436da641922c999d77af9e9.png

Archived