Corsair Community

H80i temps and configuration: what's yours?

jnewegger23

I google "high temps h80i" it seems on a weekly basis. What I can't seem to find is a good discussion on what typical idle and more importantly MAX Temp loads people are getting. What I'd like people to get out of this thread is a sense of what is normal, good, or high by simply listing what each of us (owners of an H80i) have observed.

I just changed my configuration btw to INTAKE on the rear with a push pull. Right now I have IDLE:

Ambient Temp: 77F (Indoor) / 69 (Outdoor)

Pump: 27.4C

i7 3770k 4.3ghz: 32.7C

About an hour ago I converted an HD video (5min) which seems to consistently use all 4 cores at 100% and I MAXED out at:

Ambient Temp: 77F (Indoor) / 69 (Outdoor)

Pump: 31C

i7 3770k: 81.2C

Previously (last week) I converted a HD video which was longer (~20min) and had the h80i fans + radiator set to an EXHAUST with push pull in the rear and I can no longer remember the ambient and pump temps but you can assume they were similar but the cpu hit 84C.

My computer seems to be stable and I haven't really stressed tested it yet because I'm already seeing high temps that I'm not that comfortable with. I'll probably try re-seating etc. soon but I'm also saving for a GTX 780 Classified or Lightning. I'm wondering with all things the same how much of the temps may change with a gpu installed. I'm just running all video off of the internal graphics which I'm sure is further taxing my cpu and possibly causing higher temps overall.

One other quick note; I have my cpu just to the right of the door entrance where outdoor air can be helping with intake. (also: I have indoor and outdoor temps from a $15.00 sensor I bought at home depot with a physical outdoor sensor I have hanging from the tree just outside)

All details aside, I'd like to know what your typical idle temps are and more importantly what is the MAXIMUM temperature that you've EVER EVER EVER observed on your h80i and any other important or relevant details. Of course most readers will appreciate you including your ambient temp and other relevant factors.

Thanks!

Max temp EVER observed 81.2C (Converting HD Videos)

http://jnewegger23.daportfolio.com/gallery/831785

1129050871_600tairflow001b.thumb.jpg.49b78b50006eff82a1828b58aac50228.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whats your clock speed?

if its stock 82C is way too high if its overclocked might be normal

4.3ghz. I updated in above as well. Thanks for the heads up and the response. To get things going Bryman, what's your:

Ambient temp:

Current Idle temp:

Max observed load temp:

(Reason for high temp: ie video conversion, gaming, prime95 etc)

I'd like others who respond to follow suit so this thread could be a useful source for others to get an idea of what the typical real world ranges are for h80i users.

Again, thanks!

well mine might be slightly high but

ambient temp about 24-26C H80i temp: about 32C at full load and i get about 65C at stock...

at 4.5ghz 1.3 volts with small FFT (yes small fft does make a HUGE difference in temp) it hits 105C and shuts my computer off... :( 4.2ghz 1.25 volts it hits around 90C...so mines slightly hot but again this is small fft which just ****s up your processor so much its not even ****ing funny its just bull**** lol

idle temp about 35-40C but i dont like looking at idle temp

Right on. What's your airflow configuration? (see my attached pic as a reference) I assume rear exhaust for your h80i w push pull? That's what I had before but I'm trying the rear as intake now as I've read that it may help and it made sense in theory. I'll keep a close eye... (I bought a $3 filter btw to decrease dust).

Nice! What's your airflow setup like in your case? Also, under any stress tests, gaming or what not what's your MAX observed temp ever? (see above. I believe others coming to this thread will find that useful and what I'm mainly hoping for over time is a useful "real world" thread count on MAX observed temps and other relevant info so it helps us all trouble shoot any serious outliers in terms of temps).

not sure if you mean me but ill respond anyways;):

my g820 runs super cool with an h80 with max temp of 42c using prime 95 which is what i load with

my i7 2600 runs mid 40's but bounces a few up then settles,no Oc

my i7 3770 with an Oc of 4.3 runs mid-high 50's which is better than normal with cool temps inside of 73f,,doing the same test at 80f room temp,the cpu temp will get to lower-mid 60's c.its yet to exceed mid 60's,,,,,,,yet

you can scroll thru my sig pics and theres a vid i made of a load run that shows low 50's but after a while it goes to mid 50'sc

i have 4 fans pushing in from the front

one taking out at the top rear and hydro fans taking air out in all my builds

that setup works best for me...

well mine might be slightly high but

ambient temp about 24-26C H80i temp: about 32C at full load and i get about 65C at stock...

at 4.5ghz 1.3 volts with small FFT (yes small fft does make a HUGE difference in temp) it hits 105C and shuts my computer off... :( 4.2ghz 1.25 volts it hits around 90C...so mines slightly hot but again this is small fft which just ****s up your processor so much its not even ****ing funny its just bull**** lol

idle temp about 35-40C but i dont like looking at idle temp

i have it where the H80i pulls air from the outside into the case that way it keeps the cpu as cool as possible

gaming its 50C usually...60C MAX so ya not bad but i have it where it adjusts the voltage as it needs which keeps it extra cool as its usually only 1.1-1.2volts while gaming vs 1.3 volts at max load but its still 4.5ghz

mine are seen below in my sig

load temps are @ 55c,45c and 42c

wytnyt

I was referring to you and I appreciate the detailed response. Wow, your temps are really low. Have you ever tried converting videos? I would assume so. My cores go to 100% and I get temps that are sky high compared to yours. Perhaps I need to look at re-seating my h80i sooner than later but I find that my temps seem comparable to many others but yours are extremely low. Good for you! What kind of TIM do you use as well? Perhaps my chip just runs hot or something. It's not that bad but it worries me from pushing too hard. If I had your temps I'd be testing away! Either way I envy those stats!

Ambient temp: 28.6C

Current Idle temp: 32C-40C, depending upon core

Max observed load temp: 59C-66C, depending upon core

Prime95 Blend

i7-3770K @ 4.224 GHz

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt

Antec Performance One P180 case

Push-Pull exhaust rear

1 120mm intake front into upper cavity

1 120mm exhaust top

1 120mm intake front into PSU cavity

This is different from my 650D case where the H100i is exhaust top and rear is intake. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=117122 Still, both radiators are exhaust. It'll be interesting to turn that top around to intake to see if I get similar results to the 650D tests.

wytnyt

I was referring to you and I appreciate the detailed response. Wow, your temps are really low. Have you ever tried converting videos? I would assume so. My cores go to 100% and I get temps that are sky high compared to yours. Perhaps I need to look at re-seating my h80i sooner than later but I find that my temps seem comparable to many others but yours are extremely low. Good for you! What kind of TIM do you use as well? Perhaps my chip just runs hot or something. It's not that bad but it worries me from pushing too hard. If I had your temps I'd be testing away! Either way I envy those stats!

:D:i buy used dvds all the time and am constantly converting them so they can be viewed by whomever in the house,,keeps the movies in good shape..

currently with movies and series eps i have over 30k in total.

my cpu usage runs around 60-75 %.

ive worn out so many drives:D:

Ambient temp: 28.6C

Current Idle temp: 32C-40C, depending upon core

Max observed load temp: 59C-66C, depending upon core

Prime95 Blend

i7-3770K @ 4.224 GHz

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt

Antec Performance One P180 case

Push-Pull exhaust rear

1 120mm intake front into upper cavity

1 120mm exhaust top

1 120mm intake front into PSU cavity

This is different from my 650D case where the H100i is exhaust top and rear is intake. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=117122 Still, both radiators are exhaust. It'll be interesting to turn that top around to intake to see if I get similar results to the 650D tests.

RE: [speed]. I appreciate your contribution as well! Good start to the thread. Let's keep it rolling!

Here goes mine!!!

Ambient temp:25-26C A/C is running cause its summer and hella hot here(MY TEMPS ARE DIFFERENT WHEN A/C IS OFF

Current Idle temp:35C

Max observed load temp:60.3C

Reason for high temp:prime95 For 16 minutes

Radiator Fans are set to Exhaust!!

2 top fans set to exhaust

and 2 fans in the front for intake

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE AT STOCK SPEEDS 3.8GHZ

PICTURES-------

http://t.imgbox.com/adzSbVal.jpg http://t.imgbox.com/adxpJ7P5.jpg http://t.imgbox.com/acjneVxh.jpg

IDLE=

http://t.imgbox.com/adeo65u0.jpg

STRESS=

http://t.imgbox.com/adgObkc6.jpg

Here goes mine!!!

Ambient temp:25-26C A/C is running cause its summer and hella hot here(MY TEMPS ARE DIFFERENT WHEN A/C IS OFF

Current Idle temp:35C

Max observed load temp:60.3C

Reason for high temp:prime95 For 16 minutes

Radiator Fans are set to Exhaust!!

2 top fans set to exhaust

and 2 fans in the front for intake

ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE AT STOCK SPEEDS 3.8GHZ

PICTURES-------

http://t.imgbox.com/adzSbVal.jpg http://t.imgbox.com/adxpJ7P5.jpg http://t.imgbox.com/acjneVxh.jpg

IDLE=

http://t.imgbox.com/adeo65u0.jpg

STRESS=

http://t.imgbox.com/adgObkc6.jpg

To: Billy1981

Perfect! Great numbers too! Your setup looks pretty well put together as well! I envy your cool rig! Pun intended!

To: Billy1981

Perfect! Great numbers too! Your setup looks pretty well put together as well! I envy your cool rig! Pun intended!

your cool is cool ;) lol

im a fan of fans...sorry couldnt help myself :P

im really bored meh...you can probably tell

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the H80i into a Fractal Design R4 case.

I wanted to install it to the front panel in intake mode but the tubes were too short and I ended up putting it to the rear in exhaust mode, moving the rear fan to the front as 2nd intake fan (no top or bottom fans).

After having thought this through a little bit I actually find this to be the better setup anyway since fresh air is sucked into the case where the only other major heat source is the graphics card (which has its own little intake/exhaust system).

Having it the other way around would mean that the air intake is heated up by the radiator before being available to cool the other parts inside the case, including the GPU (which tends to get hotter than the CPU anyway).

I am seeing pretty decent results with the fans in Quiet Mode and a slightly overclocked FX 6300 - around 34 degrees C (H80i temp) idle in a mid 20s room environment rising to 39ish running Cinebench in multi and single CPU modes.

UPDATE:

I'm still trying to pin point why but I'm not complaining but I have achieved what I consider reasonable temps to go back to overclocking! Here's what happened:

1. I reconfigured the h80i so that it intakes cool air rather than exhasting hot from the case.

2. I updated my BIOS and it seems to be holding the voltages lower (tighter?) by default resulting in MUCH cooler temps.

I may be mixing event number 2 with coincidental observation but it is an observation. I've attached a pic of the cpuz read on this with my realtemp temperatures. As you can see I am stable at 54-57C while under approximately 80% load. I also tested this against prime95 running small FFTs via the sensor test in realtemp and she will not break past 60C! I am sooo elated about this as I was hitting 80-90C before running at stock speed! I noticed the voltages where ranging between 1.0-1.4 before and now they range between .8-1.2. I didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference but it is!

Summary with current configuration (updated BIOS and h80i as intake):

Ambient Temp: 23.3C

Idle Temps: 22-29 Depending on Core

Max Load Temps: 54-57 Depending on Core (Video Conversion 70-80% Load for ~1hr)

Max Load Temps: 57-60 Depending on Core (Prime95 Sensortest from RealTemp running small FFTs) edit?pli=1

cpuznrealtemp001.jpg.7fa3c172e71f1a038cefc9b44e23cd3d.jpg

Archived