Corsair Community

Fans not working when corsair link not started.

1stMora

The fans wont speed-up or slow down when corsair link is not started and/or opened.

Previously on win 8 the fans would spin at full speed at boot and settle quickly afterwards. Now the fans will only react when the program window is open, and only settle after you clicked on each fan.

This means that the program must run at all times and have at least been opened viewed, and updated once.

Really freaking annoying!

Previously I didn't even have to run the app to have my settings running. Somethings really messed up!

Running windows 10. And with the newest corsair link & drivers.

I just upgraded to Win 10 and upgraded the Link Software to the latest Version and did the firmware update.

And i have exactly the same problem. But for me they stay at the first cutom curve Setting, so the fans always stay at 900 rpm, unless i do the follwing:

First the Link software doesn't autostart, regardless of the set Option.

And then, wenn i manually launch it, the fans go crazy, spin to 2400 rpm and stay there, until i click each fan. Same for the h100i temp Monitor, it's fix until i click it.

Something is really not right there.

Any suggestions?

The same problem, in fact (sorry for my english, I'm Spanish), later in win 8.1 the only profile that not working good was "custom curve", but now in win 10 its the only that permite me work at 1500rpm, the others up the fans to 2750rpm a 33ºC and the noise its horrible.

Si pasa algún español por aquí pasaté por esta parte del foro, a ver si en "cristiano" somos capaces de solucionarlo, bienvenidos los sudamericanos castellano parlantes y si hay algún filipino por ahí también ;)

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=792404#post792404

So after some testing I found that if you start the program with windows and minimized it will work properly. But you still have to always run the program otherwise the fans simply don't react to anything. I really don't care for this program other than the setting the custom curves so I really don't want to have to launch it at all if possible. Like we previously could.

• Corsair Employee

This is unfortunately an issue introduced in the most recent version of Link. We weighed having a Windows 10 version available against having this bug outstanding and decided to at least release the Windows 10 version we had to provide some of Link's functionality on the new platform.

This bug is being fasttracked for a fix and I'd expect to see it before the end of August.

This is unfortunately an issue introduced in the most recent version of Link. We weighed having a Windows 10 version available against having this bug outstanding and decided to at least release the Windows 10 version we had to provide some of Link's functionality on the new platform.

This bug is being fasttracked for a fix and I'd expect to see it before the end of August.

Well at least it's good to know that this is being worked on.

Although it would have been nice to make a note of such a serious bug somewhere when installing the software.

This would have saved you a lot of anger on the forums, just saying.

Please also look at the autostart function, it never did work right to begin with, even in previous releases.

"End of August" seems pretty long for me... But what do i know how hard it is to fix. :confused:

• Corsair Employee

The issue with something like this is that we have to get a fix in, and then we have to spend time validating the release that has the fix before we can release it.

It's easier for red-ray to be agile with his software because he's one guy with entirely his own source code and he's not testing on a tremendous variety of platforms.

The issue with something like this is that we have to get a fix in, and then we have to spend time validating the release that has the fix before we can release it.

It's easier for red-ray to be agile with his software because he's one guy with entirely his own source code and he's not testing on a tremendous variety of platforms.

Maybe release the unvalidated version as a beta?

For me this is pretty bad, as I rely on the unit being independent of the Link software, as I spend most of my time in Linux, and there is no Link software for Linux.

• I can't work out why you posted this in this thread, do I need to read another thread? If so a link would be appropriate.
  • Are you saying that Corsair do not have all the source for the Corsair Link software and Corsair Link firmware? That would explain a lot. :eek:
  • I do test on a "tremendous variety of platforms". I also test SIV with 3 x CLCC and an old Link Commaner before releasing it. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=792644. :mad:
  • Given I wrote all the SIV code from scratch starting around 2001 I will accept it's probably easier for me than the guys who are picking up the pieces of CL. Then again I am only one and assume Corsair have a few developers.
  • It took Tamas (ADIA64) less than 24 hours to implement Global\Access_CorsairLink support once I e-mailed him the semantics. Thus far Corsair have not even asked me what the semantics are.
  • The majority of the SIV CL implementation took about 3 months (evenings and weekends) and the took a couple more to figure out the firmware issues and work-a-round them. Had I had the NDA information it would have taken me far less time. When was CL4 started and how big is the team? (I know you can't/won't answer)

19) SIV uses very(!) little RAM compared to CL.

20) SIV does not have memory leaks as CL does.

21) SIV does not hang or stop working.

Very pleased so far.

I expect comments like this are because I do test SIV on a "tremendous variety of platforms" :biggrin:

Would it be possible to downgrade the firmware in my H110i GTX somehow?

• Is/will it possible to use Corsair Link to update Asetek firmware please?

[*]I can't work out why you posted this in this thread,

I was wondering about that too, as i havent even read any of your posts here.

I just came here to get a fix for my problem.

For me the Link software is nothing but trouble, every update something is wrong and it takes ages to be fixed, if ever.

First it wont run on Win 8, now it wont run properly in Win 10.

And the Autostart, at least for me, never even worked to begin with. Never.

I am not a programmer, just a user, but seriously how hard can it be to fix a not working autostart function?!

I was also wondering, where is the autoupdate function? Having to check the forums myself to know if there is a new Version is like living in the 90s again, with a 33k dial up internet...

I was also wondering, where is the autoupdate function? Having to check the forums myself to know if there is a new Version is like living in the 90s again, with a 33k dial up internet...

Thank you for this. I had not realised CL did not do this do I have updated http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=777371 to say:

SIV will automatically tell you when a new release is available. CL does not. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=792729.

33k dial up! is that why SIV takes about 1 second to start CL about 15 ;):

• Corsair Employee
  • I can't work out why you posted this in this thread, do I need to read another thread? If so a link would be appropriate.
  • Are you saying that Corsair do not have all the source for the Corsair Link software and Corsair Link firmware? That would explain a lot. :eek:

Unfortunately, this has largely been the case for some time. Link had originally been developed by CoolIT, and CoolIT won't release the source to the proprietary firmware of their products, so we have to work with them. That adds complication to the process. We do have the source to the software; CL3 is based on our own source.

CL4 is being built from the ground up using the same firm responsible for our CUE software.

I do test on a "tremendous variety of platforms". I also test SIV with 3 x CLCC and an old Link Commaner before releasing it. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=792644. :mad:
Given I wrote all the SIV code from scratch starting around 2001 I will accept it's probably easier for me than the guys who are picking up the pieces of CL. Then again I am only one and assume Corsair have a few developers.

Link was a comparatively minor project for a long time, it was only until recently that real resources were invested in it. That's a black mark on our record to be sure. Like I said, though, we've brought on a proper team for CL4.

It took Tamas (ADIA64) less than 24 hours to implement Global\Access_CorsairLink support once I e-mailed him the semantics. Thus far Corsair have not even asked me what the semantics are.
The majority of the SIV CL implementation took about 3 months (evenings and weekends) and the took a couple more to figure out the firmware issues and work-a-round them. Had I had the NDA information it would have taken me far less time. When was CL4 started and how big is the team? (I know you can't/won't answer)

You already know how the NDA conversation ends. ;)

CL4 was started a few months ago and has a few developers working on it. It has a healthy team and good technical direction. My gut instinct is that the first couple of releases will be a little rocky while the new code base finds its footing, and then it'll eventually smooth out like CUE did. Long term it's the better solution.

• Is/will it possible to use Corsair Link to update Asetek firmware please?

Unfortunately, the firmware in the Asetek coolers isn't actually updateable. Yes, this is silly.

Unfortunately, this has largely been the case for some time. Link had originally been developed by CoolIT, and CoolIT won't release the source to the proprietary firmware of their products, so we have to work with them. That adds complication to the process. We do have the source to the software; CL3 is based on our own source.

CL4 is being built from the ground up using the same firm responsible for our CUE software.

CL4 was started a few months ago and has a few developers working on it. It has a healthy team and good technical direction. My gut instinct is that the first couple of releases will be a little rocky while the new code base finds its footing, and then it'll eventually smooth out like CUE did. Long term it's the better solution.

Thank you, this is what I have suspect for a long time. I assume it's the CLCC, H110iGT, H100i and H80i firmware that Corsair are missing. What are the long term plans for the CLCC?

My NDA point was with the datasheets it should take less time to implement CL 4 than it took be to add CL SIV support without them. I am still reverse engineering the Asetek protocol. With the datasheets it would have been working weeks ago.

What is the firmware source situation with the Asetek coolers? I too think no update is silly, but I suspect the Corsair RMA team don't ;):

Were I designing CL 4 I would have the main hardware control in a Windows service written in C/C++ (both x32 and x64, no .NET!) and then a GUI that was not privileged and only active when the user was using it (x32 and eventually x64). I would also design in Global\Access_CorsairLink from day one. By doing this the development cost would be in the noise. It would also mean I could run CL4, AIDA64, HWiNFO and SIV all at the same time and check the new code in CL4 reported the same values as the others (note AIDA64 only reports Asetek AIOs). When I was developing the SIV CL support I had to keep swapping what was running to do these checks.

• Corsair Employee

The original Corsair Link Commander is EOL, and honestly probably rightfully so since we're moving away from I2C and the original Cooling Nodes were less than stellar.

I'm not certain if we have access to the Asetek firmware or not, but the lack of updateable firmware is a lesson learned. I believe it was originally locked down to prevent firmware shenanigans like with the CoolIT units, but I'd be surprised if future coolers couldn't have their firmware updated.

As far as CL4 development goes, like I said, it's being rearchitected by a solid team. I can't say much more than that. I suspect a lot of your concerns will be alleviated by then and if they aren't, well, we'll keep working. Honestly, the interlock is an issue that even I've run into.

Link was a comparatively minor project for a long time, it was only until recently that real resources were invested in it. That's a black mark on our record to be sure. Like I said, though, we've brought on a proper team for CL4.

Takes a good company to be able to admit something like this.

I've always been impressed by Corsairs customer care. It's easy to be the good guy when everything is going right, but you can tell the true ones by how they handle the situations where something goes wrong. When Corsair replaced all the hardware in a member of the Hardforums system, after a pump seized and leaked all over the inside of the case, that was when I became a loyal customer.

I think just about every company has learned the hard way from supply chain agreements at one point or another. (I know mine sure has)

Looking forward to testing CL4 (and hoping for a Linux version, or at least some architecture data so one of the open source projects can do something with it. :p )

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately, the firmware in the Asetek coolers isn't actually updateable. Yes, this is silly.

Please can you tell me why it's not possible to update the Asetek firmware?

When this was initially posted I felt this was silly and what is even sillier is that I expect the Asetek Cooler firmware can be updated :eek:. I have just managed to switch my H80iGT into firmware update mode and all I now need is some firmware to load, ideally some that implements all the missing functionally that is available in the CoolIT based coolers and missing from the Asetek ones.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23215&stc=1&d=1446328766

This is nothing to do with Fans not working when corsair link not started so why has it been moved to this thread :mad:? It should be a new thread which is why I created a new thread :!:.

1889422311_H80iGTReadyfornewFirmware.png.964c272a110dfc71b19c68c3ac2a1dec.png

• Corsair Employee
You're over the line, Ray. Internally we're finding out how you've been able to access this, but these coolers were never intended to have their firmware updated in the field, and many of these "missing features" *can't* be "restored" because of controller limitations.

You're over the line, Ray.

I am surprised you feel this way. I was expecting you to be pleased the firmware could be updated as this means some of the issues could be addressed. I will happily tell you how I got the cooler into firmware update mode, though obviously I will not post how to this.

I found out how to do this by accident when I was updating the firmware on a none Corsair Asetek based cooler.

Archived