The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM

POST ID # = 993673
merlin777 Reputation: 10
Default suitable fans for cpu cooling but red LED

I'm having trouble finding suitable red LED fans for CPU cooling. I'm told they need to have power management and be static pressure but can't find all that in one unit. Any suggestions or am i looking for something which doesnt exist?

Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993681
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

120mm or 140mm? Single color LED fans are getting a bit rare these days. Most all manufacturers focus exclusively on full spectrum RGB products, but there are still some leftovers. Which of the two is a better path for you in something you'll have to figure out. Also, keep in mind static pressure is a RPM dependent value. In order to compare fans, you need to calculate the approximate value at like speeds. Otherwise the high rpm fan will also look better, but perform exactly the same when both fans are at the same speed.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM

POST ID # = 993685

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
120mm or 140mm? Single color LED fans are getting a bit rare these days. Most all manufacturers focus exclusively on full spectrum RGB products, but there are still some leftovers. Which of the two is a better path for you in something you'll have to figure out. Also, keep in mind static pressure is a RPM dependent value. In order to compare fans, you need to calculate the approximate value at like speeds. Otherwise the high rpm fan will also look better, but perform exactly the same when both fans are at the same speed.
It'll be 120mm. I think I may have misunderstood something. I thought the cpu fan needed to be variable speed and usually titled PWM for power management. Am I specifying the wrong thing by calling it static pressure?

Maybe better if i ask the question a different way around? What cpu fan do i need if i want red LED?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:25 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993707

It would be pretty rare today to find a new motherboard that cannot do DC (3 pin) and PWM (4 pin) fans on its CPU/OPT headers. However, there certainly were motherboards in the past that were PWM only. That is something you would want to verify in your manual or online at the motherboard page.

So winding the clock back a couple of years, yes... there was definitely a lack of PWM LED fans prior to the RGB invasion. Most LED fans were DC and the lighting would dim as you reduced voltage to lower the speed. That was never ideal, but practical given the technology being used. Now the lighting is intense and 256 color, but often this means you need to off-load the lighting current draw onto a separate device. All the Corsair RGB fans run their lighting power from a SATA connector while the fan motor is powered in the traditional header way.

Is this for an air tower or radiator? Typically the air tower you want on CPU/OPT. The radiator can be made to work different ways and those fans could run from other chassis fan headers, if you are PWM limited. If you can figure out whether you MUST have PWM or can use DC, I can probably help you find a red LED 120mm model from somewhere.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM

POST ID # = 993729

Quote:
It would be pretty rare today to find a new motherboard that cannot do DC (3 pin) and PWM (4 pin) fans on its CPU/OPT headers. However, there certainly were motherboards in the past that were PWM only. That is something you would want to verify in your manual or online at the motherboard page.

So winding the clock back a couple of years, yes... there was definitely a lack of PWM LED fans prior to the RGB invasion. Most LED fans were DC and the lighting would dim as you reduced voltage to lower the speed. That was never ideal, but practical given the technology being used. Now the lighting is intense and 256 color, but often this means you need to off-load the lighting current draw onto a separate device. All the Corsair RGB fans run their lighting power from a SATA connector while the fan motor is powered in the traditional header way.

Is this for an air tower or radiator? Typically the air tower you want on CPU/OPT. The radiator can be made to work different ways and those fans could run from other chassis fan headers, if you are PWM limited. If you can figure out whether you MUST have PWM or can use DC, I can probably help you find a red LED 120mm model from somewhere.
thanks - I think I can feel some led strips coming on!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993783
DevBiker Reputation: 83

If it must be red, the ML fans are great PWM options. It looks like you can still get them. See https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premi.../dp/B01G5I6MT8.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993790

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
If it must be red, the ML fans are great PWM options. It looks like you can still get them. See https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premi.../dp/B01G5I6MT8.
Those are definitely the ones to get if PWM. The ML-LED series was one of the first consistent brightness LED fans and they are center lit. It’s a nice smooth light tone. They are also designed for radiator resistance like the box cooler. It would be hard to find anything comparable in single color PWM.

Of course, there is always the RGB rabbit hole. Warning! Likely to cause obsessive behavior. More seriously, the cost and components are higher, but we can help you plan it out.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993797
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Of course, there is always the RGB rabbit hole. Warning! Likely to cause obsessive behavior. More seriously, the cost and components are higher, but we can help you plan it out.
Likely? Only likely? More like ... you'll get a fever. And the only cure ... is more RGB!

Spoken from personal experience.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.