Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 05:42 PM
momorious's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993230
momorious Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waukeen View Post
And I have no issues backing off blaming nVidia...So now we know it isn't related which only begs to ask? How is this being so difficult to track down and squash as it seems to be happening across the board? Why have none of the iCue team asked us for any logs we might be willing to provide that can help them help us? Being that this is the first time I've had an issue with anything from Corsair, I give them this, they really are trying to go above and beyond to make my first real trouble with their products something for the record books.

ICue guy, you have a whole thread, not going to mention forum, that would most likely be more than willing to help. Why not ask those that have confirmed the issue exists (as opposed to setting up a rig yourself since we have no idea if software we might have is to blame) for help since clearly trying to track it down by yourselves seems to be failing...hard.

We are waiting.
To defend Corsair on this one a bit. They have 5 returned pumps from me and they were able to reproduce the issue but not as frequent as it happens to me. But they simply have no clue what's the issue. Therefore this will take some time still and because there are only monthly iCUE updates this will take some months and I expect a fix in the May build at the earliest... :/
But yeah, it's a issue for the record books. How could something groundbreaking like this pass all the internal and external beta tests.. Incredible.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Tiwtin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993284
Tiwtin Reputation: 10

Updated to the new update on iCue. H115i Platinum now has Balanced added into the mix on the Pump selection. By Balanced, it's really just Quiet, but with a new name. Quiet now makes the pump run at 1993 RPM and it sounds like it's gurgling. Do NOT recommend running at that speed.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:41 PM
MonsMagnus's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993346
MonsMagnus Reputation: 10

Wow! So glad I found this thread!! I have the H100I RGB Platinum for my Threadripper 2950x and since installing this it has been driving me crazy!! I am now turning off all lighting effects on it to test. This is a fairly expensive cooler to have these connect/disconnect issues. Corsair needs to make this a priority!

Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 AM
OoTLink's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993446
OoTLink Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand View Post
Its obvious to me that this is a CORSAIR ICUE <<SOFTWARE>> problem so I wouldn't stretch troubleshooting and messing with other software/hardware. Its not Steam or Nvidia! Its not MOBO or Processor! ITS ICUE!
I'm not sure what kind of electronics Corsair has in the pump, but supposing there's an MCU in there (micro controller, aka tiny computer with an ARM processor), the software running on it might be crashing from being overloaded by instructions from iCue. Perhaps they didn't make a large enough buffer to hold all of the commands? Expanding on that, maybe icue broadcasts all commands to all devices, which makes the problem even more apparent if you have a bunch of corsair devices.

Either way, the way that the USB disconnects entirely and the H115i appears to 'restart' makes me think it's running an MCU of some sort and the software on said MCU is taking a dump, for whatever reason. In that case, I'm sure they could debug the H115i's onboard software really easily.

Question then: Are they? Or do they make so many new products that they just consider new things one-and-done and only update iCUE when they add new products to the library?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993575
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post

Question then: Are they? Or do they make so many new products that they just consider new things one-and-done and only update iCUE when they add new products to the library?
Corsair updates iCUE about monthly, new products or not. And they are continually improving iCUE and fixing bugs. So no, it's not one-and-done. And yes, they are looking at this and have been.

On the community beta team - I did experience something similar but it wasn't consistent and I was the only one that had the issue. The assumption was that something was wrong with my cooler. From what I understand, it also affects a subset of chipsets.

You may have something on the complexity of effects. Static lighting seems to work. Right now, I have static with a simple effect (Color Wave) and it's been OK. But if it's firmware (as we both suspect), fixing it isn't necessarily simple, quick or easy.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 AM
GrumpyMonk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993628
GrumpyMonk Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwtin View Post
Updated to the new update on iCue. H115i Platinum now has Balanced added into the mix on the Pump selection. By Balanced, it's really just Quiet, but with a new name. Quiet now makes the pump run at 1993 RPM and it sounds like it's gurgling. Do NOT recommend running at that speed.
Yep I thought my pump was dying before I realised quiet was now running under 2000rpm. No point using quiet at all since it's the loudest profile to run now.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:15 AM
momorious's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993629
momorious Reputation: 10

Yup, fully agree. Quiet should be renamed to "lowest speed but by far the loudest"... This new mode is totally unnecessary. Instead of wasting time to implement something irrelevant like this they should more concentrate on fixing this USB disconnect issue as this issue makes the whole pump pointless...

Old 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM
rascaluk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993744
rascaluk Reputation: 10

I personally appreciate the change to pump speed selection, seemed odd not having "balanced" to start with. I also appreciate this may be a complex issue that we are trivializing, maybe related to other software including Steam ,Nvidia drivers, Windows updates etc.

What I don't appreciate is the relative silence from the devs or community team on this issue, given the size of this thread and the severity of the issue. This needs some attention...and as said before, it's not clear whether anyone with this issue has even been consulted or asked to provide any diagnostics. Now is not the time to be silent on an issue affecting a number of flagship products, and I'm assuming, thousands of customers.

If we are expected to cut them some slack...maybe fill us in a bit.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:48 AM
Waukeen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993801
Waukeen Reputation: 10

Just to update this to let Corsair know....same....issue....with the new case, Obsidian 500D SE *WITH* the Commander Pro and Lite Node that came with it....

At this point I am putting the H110 on the back burner until this is resolved.

Hell, I would even consider still purchasing it if there was some sort of, oh I dunno, FEEDBACK on this that isnt "Try this version of the software, we swear it will work this time....Honest" WHEN IT DOESN'T.

Also, just to add to the woes we are all having and yes I plan to call tech support tomorrow, but one of the screws that holds the panel on to the hinge wouldn't come out and the shaft (hinge) it was screwed into was just spinning away...had to remove the whole hinge to actually remove it to rebuild my computer in the new case.

For the record I am progressing into pissed territory with this now. Let me add up what I have spent in the last year or so with Corsair:

(all prices are what I paid at the time not current)
M65 Pro - $70
K95 Platinum - $180
Corsair Vengeance LPX (32Gb) - $380
Obsidian 500D SE - $260
MM800 - $70
ST100 - $80
Void Pro - $180
HX1200i - $260

By my math that's almost $1500. Not counting the shipping or the fact that I got an extended warranty with most of that (don't hate on the extended warranty its worked out for me in the past and I actually utilize them if something happens :P).

So I have to ask the Corsair Community Rep (if there is one, otherwise anyone from Corsair can answer this....

Do you guys like making someone who has used Corsair, and only corsair, for RAM going on 20 years look like a chump? Because I am starting to get that impression. And I'm sure this question can cover a lot of others here who have posted without a G0DDAMN lick of help or sign of a fix that will actually work coming.

Telling us that the issue might be resolved is about as good as EAWare telling us they will support their games for more than a year. In case that was too subtle its about as effective as a wet fart in church during a sermon. And I can say that as I am not religious :P

Addendum: While I can't speak for anyone but myself on this part, Corsair has a legion of followers who would be more than happy to give you guys whatever information and/or help you might require in order to solve this. USE US! I'm not here to sit on my backside if there is anything I can do to help put this to rest once and for all. Stop hiding your heads in the sand and just ask for help if you need it, don't assume that every system is going to be the same or close to the same as your QA systems, because that seems to be working out SOOOoooo well right now. We would provide a bigger sample size that could help track this down.

If you ask us, we will come. :P

Last edited by Waukeen; 02-12-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:02 AM
Waukeen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993803

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascaluk View Post
I personally appreciate the change to pump speed selection, seemed odd not having "balanced" to start with. I also appreciate this may be a complex issue that we are trivializing, maybe related to other software including Steam ,Nvidia drivers, Windows updates etc.

What I don't appreciate is the relative silence from the devs or community team on this issue, given the size of this thread and the severity of the issue. This needs some attention...and as said before, it's not clear whether anyone with this issue has even been consulted or asked to provide any diagnostics. Now is not the time to be silent on an issue affecting a number of flagship products, and I'm assuming, thousands of customers.

If we are expected to cut them some slack...maybe fill us in a bit.
AMEN. And while other software cant be discounted as the cause somehow I doubt it is that. Though it got me wondering, and while this is a long shot I'm just throwing this out there. Could this issue be caused by other companies RGB lighting and their software? While I don't go looking for RGB stuff seems for higher end stuff that's a feature now a days. My motherboard and GPU both have RGB, so this might be worth taking a look into even if it's a longshot.

Side note someone mentioned finding this thread on Reddit....I don't bother with Reddit but still surprised me it made it there :P

Last edited by Waukeen; 02-12-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Glzmo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993839
Glzmo Reputation: 10

It seems that Steam likes do poll/enumerate the USB bus and it's devices repeatedly (especially when no compatible controller is connected/no compatible controller can be found), perhaps too quickly, which may cause the USB bus to overload and USB devices to disconnect/reconnect. This becomes more of an issue the more USB devices one has connected. For me, it likes to Disconnect my H115i RGB Platinum.
With other devices it isn't that bad, but when it's a cooler, it certainly can be dangerous, especially if you are running a more aggressive fan/pump profile and the H115i driver resets/crashes and the cooler goes into default quietish mode.

I think Corsair could make it safer by allowing us to "burn" our preferred pump and fan profiles (and RGB if we are at it anyway. although it isn't important for safety) to the firmware to fall back to in case of a driver crash, when iCue isn't running or the cooler can't communicate with it for any other reason, replacing the default setting.

Last edited by Glzmo; 02-15-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Waukeen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
It seems that Steam likes do poll/enumerate the USB bus repeatedly, perhaps too quickly, which may cause the USB bus to overload and USB devices to disconnect/reconnect. This becomes more of an issue the more USB devices one has connected. For me, it likes to Disconnect my H115i RGB Platinum.
With other devices it isn't that bad, but when it's a cooler, it certainly can be dangerous, especially if you are running a more aggressive fan/pump profile and the H115i driver resets/crashes and the cooler goes into default quietish mode.

I think Corsair could make it safer by allowing us to "burn" our preferred pump and fan profiles (and RGB if we are at it anyway. although it isn't important for safety) to the firmware to fall back to in case of a driver crash, when iCue isn't running or the cooler can't communicate with it for any other reason, replacing the default setting.
This issue happened to me when I was reinstalling my system and hadn't installed Steam at that time, but it is something to look at. Makes me wonder how many programs do polling for USB that don't need it.

I do really like that idea for "burning" the settings to firmware. Only thing I would be worried about is that firmware updates can go horribly wrong and the less of them you do the better. Still a good idea.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Axiste's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993919
Axiste Reputation: 10

Performed the update without any uninstall or ccleaner. Set my H115i Platinum to Rainbow again, so far a few hours no issues. Also plugged in my Note 8 which had a 100% hit rate of causing it to trigger, so far nothing.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Waukeen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 993945

Ok so I have been experiencing an issue related to the LL120 fans that came with the Obsidian 500D SE and decided that since I am a sucker for punishment I would update to the newest version. **THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT THE DISCONNECT/RECONNECT ISSUE IS SOLVED**

But the issue was the fans would not let me adjust anything on them even after a firmware update, so lets play with fire. Now I can set the fan speeds and lighting without issue, which is nice, but I have to ask this how can this make sense:

Quiet sets fans to an idle of ~1500RPM
Balanced sets fans to an idle of ~950RPM
Extreme sets fans to an idle of ~1500-1700RPM

Truthfully I didn't even notice the gap in fan RPMs until I was typing this up for extreme but how is that quiet? Honest question....How is that quiet? Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe have balanced and quiet switched, ignoring the extreme setting?

Now that being said, I understand that no two items will always be exactly the same due to any number of reasons but a ~200RPM difference from the slowest running to the fastest seems a bit....steep.

Any input on particular question would be appreciated.

Something else I noticed about something Glzmo mentioned in his post. Under the Lighting Channel "tab" there is a 'Hardware lighting" option which states "Hardware Playback allows you to configure a lighting effect for your device that only plays when the iCUE software is not running."

Seems the might have stealth added what you mentioned brah. Cheers and I will update after I have run this version (3.12.118) for a while on if the disconnect/reconnect issue appears to be fixed....or if it isn't.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 AM

POST ID # = 994183
Sebastian84 Reputation: 10

The new update did not fix this. Im so sad that ive spent tons of money and stuff isnt working as intended. The usb on/off sound and the flickering is driving me crazy.