The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 01:48 PM

POST ID # = 959203
Marten H-Kirch Reputation: 10
Default Turn Fan Orientation Icue

Ofcourse Iw as dumb enough to not thing of my fan orientation while mounting the fans. Do I have to unscrew them and put them back in place rotated or is there a way the software can turn them?

Cheers, Marten
Old 06-15-2018, 02:09 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 959206
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten H-Kirch View Post
Ofcourse Iw as dumb enough to not thing of my fan orientation while mounting the fans. Do I have to unscrew them and put them back in place rotated or is there a way the software can turn them?

Cheers, Marten
There is no way, in the software, to turn them. It's been requested and, IIRC, it's on the long-term roadmap but there's no definite target release for it.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:32 PM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 959215
Inheritance Reputation: 41

You are not the only one who did not think about it before install your fans. I am in that boat too.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support
Old 06-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Fenweekooo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 959339
Fenweekooo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
There is no way, in the software, to turn them. It's been requested and, IIRC, it's on the long-term roadmap but there's no definite target release for it.
is that even possible in software? would think it has to do with the positive and negative electricity flow and how the motors are made?
Old 06-16-2018, 03:49 PM
βetα Nayn Cat

POST ID # = 959352
Inheritance Reputation: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenweekooo View Post
is that even possible in software? would think it has to do with the positive and negative electricity flow and how the motors are made?
Well yes, the fan motor and the RGB Leds are powered by different cables. The LED are all in serial so iCUE just has to do some maths and figure out how to flip things and what order they should be in. Not a trivial task but it doable.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support
Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Fenweekooo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 959440
Fenweekooo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inheritance View Post
Well yes, the fan motor and the RGB Leds are powered by different cables. The LED are all in serial so iCUE just has to do some maths and figure out how to flip things and what order they should be in. Not a trivial task but it doable.
im not sure we are talking about the same things, from what i understood his comment to mean is he put the fan in upside down and wants icue to be able to run the fan in reverse, i dont think software can run pc fans in reverse as they have a fixed orientation (hence the turn and flow indicators printed on the sides of fans)
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 959452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenweekooo View Post
im not sure we are talking about the same things, from what i understood his comment to mean is he put the fan in upside down and wants icue to be able to run the fan in reverse, i dont think software can run pc fans in reverse as they have a fixed orientation (hence the turn and flow indicators printed on the sides of fans)
I don't think that we are. Both Inheritance and I are talking about the orientation of the lighting - after all, this is iCue that we're talking about here and 95% of that is about the RGBz. And with some of the effects, the orientation of the fan makes a big difference.

I would agree ... you can't reverse the fan motor. That is more than just the electric motor; it also has to do with the shape of the fan blades. You cannot run them in reverse and get decent results.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 PM
rtfw's PC Specs

POST ID # = 959467
rtfw Reputation: 10

Not trivial, but definitely doable. Each light has to have an address somewhere in the code for you to be able to target just a particular LED with a particular effect. Therefore the code theoretically just needs a translation table where RGB1 in the configuration equals the address of RGB5 on the physical device.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:51 AM
CrysKilljoy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 980741
CrysKilljoy Reputation: 10

Is there still no way?
I dont think it would be that hard to prog in OR AT LEAST GIVE US A HINT WHAT THE TOP OF THE FAN EVEN IS ON THE FAN ITSELF.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:38 PM

POST ID # = 981231
denym_ Reputation: 10

You know what the worst is? I thought of my fan orientation when corsair 2.x was still a thing. Now with iCue they changed the internal orientation and my pong effect is wrong now... So it cant be even that hard since it worked in old cue.

But yeah right I have to put the fans in right direction so either corsair screwed up in iCue or in old cue.

But nobody from the dev team seems to read this board anyways...
Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 PM
Sacco Belmonte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 981276
Sacco Belmonte Reputation: 10

They def. should include a way to rotate the LED orientation in software. I also had the same problem. Thankfully it wasn't a huge cable hassle.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 AM
morgium's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994604
morgium Reputation: 10

thats a shame. i did think about the orientation, but im on a custom water cooling loop and there was no way to put them in that direction. then (being a software developer myself)i thought "its 2019, it has to be configurable"

Disclaimer: I am super-happy with the corsair ecosystem, coming from razer and their pile of garbage they call synapse, icue and the corsair ecosystem are a blessing.

But im going to suggest it anyway: is there any chance for you to make at least parts of your software open source? this is something that many people (including me) would be happy to take a look into. :)

have a beautiful day
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994623

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgium View Post

But im going to suggest it anyway: is there any chance for you to make at least parts of your software open source? this is something that many people (including me) would be happy to take a look into. :)

have a beautiful day
There are apparently licensing issues with that due to various components that they use. I've asked the same question.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:07 PM
morgium's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996242
morgium Reputation: 10

Cool, thanks for sharing that information :)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:54 PM
bgunn925's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996371
bgunn925 Reputation: 10

It's so frustrating because, from a wiring standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to wire top and rear fans in the orientation needed for some of the effects. This feature already exists for the RAM, how hard is it to implement for the fans?