The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 PM

POST ID # = 974384
dimitrispapanik Reputation: 10

I havent decided on the mb yet, probably a asus maximus for ula xi, along with a i7-9900k. I plan on watercooling the vrm, the ssd, and the raid card along with the cpu and gpu. I may do two loops, we will see.

I may also set the fans on the rads on pull, so and have rear fans blow air in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc10101 View Post
Good to get confirmation of the fairly wide HWL rads fitting two across as long as fans are mounted to the tray first. Thanks for that and for listing the remaining clearances.

What motherboard and CPU are you running in the case? And do you have any NVMe M.2 SSDs mounted on the motherboard? If you completely cover the top and front with rads, especially if only doing push all around, are you certain there will be enough airflow to cool your VRMs (if necessary), PCH and SSD(s)?

I ask because, in my case (no pun intended), I currently have a 970 pro (M.2 NVMe) mounted to my motherboard that runs extremely hot under intense load (the temp 2 sensor gets up in the 90s when benchmarking the drive). And I may mount a second, similar SSD as well, increasing the temps of both as they will be in close proximity to each other on this board.

The Asus RVIE VRMs, and to a lesser extent it's PCH, also get pretty hot. I will watercool my VRMs (either a monoblock or separate VRM block). But I have no easy way to watercool the PCH or SSDs on this motherboard.

I am not experienced enough with this stuff to know if having push-pull fans at the front will move enough (warmed air) into the case to ensure proper airflow over the motherboard to cool the PCH and M.2 SSD(s). If so, then I'd probably do 4 480s. If not, then I'd maybe do 4 360s, or 2 360s, 2 480s, leaving fan-only space to pull in cool air.

The catch-22 here is that if I go with smaller rads, then the rads will run somewhat hotter (than 480s) and the air blown through them into the case will also be hotter. Whereas, if I use full 480s all around, the rads might never get particularly heat-soaked so the air moving through the rads into the case might still be cool enough to cool the PCH and M.2(s).

Decisions, decisions...

Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 AM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 974424
cc10101 Reputation: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrispapanik View Post
I havent decided on the mb yet, probably a asus maximus for ula xi, along with a i7-9900k. I plan on watercooling the vrm, the ssd, and the raid card along with the cpu and gpu. I may do two loops, we will see.

I may also set the fans on the rads on pull, so and have rear fans blow air in...
I didn't even realize there were waterblocks for M.2 SSDs. My SSD is installed using Asus's Dimm.2 module, which holds up to M.2 SSDs. I might be able to use this Barrow waterblock on one side only (https://modmymods.com/barrow-2280-22...dm2280-pa.html).

Alternatively, it looks like I'd have to get a PCIe adapter card - waterblock combo and mount the SSD to that instead.

More researching for me.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:03 PM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 974432
Zotty Reputation: 52

Quote:
I didn't even realize there were waterblocks for M.2 SSDs.
lots of info out there on why not to do that dude.. my m.2 is averaging 58c.. seen it at 62c.. it worries me.. but have asked the questions in all the right places and they all said to chill my beans... its no worry. but all also then warn of the downsides of cooling them.. shorter life span etc...

Quote:
More researching for me.
I agree lol.. makes 2 of us :)

Old 09-27-2018, 02:50 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 974456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotty View Post
lots of info out there on why not to do that dude.. my m.2 is averaging 58c.. seen it at 62c.. it worries me.. but have asked the questions in all the right places and they all said to chill my beans... its no worry. but all also then warn of the downsides of cooling them.. shorter life span etc...

I agree lol.. makes 2 of us :)
There are two temp sensors listed in HWInfo64 for my SSD. Temp sensor 1 is showing values similar to what you're describing above, and from my research, those temps are perfectly healthy for SSDs.

But there is a second temp sensor. That one is high 60s, even low 70s at idle. And spikes up to in the 90s when I benchmark the drive w/Samsung's benchmarking tool. Which is a bit too hot.

There are passive heatsinks for NVMe M.2 SSDs as well. So I'll research that. I didn't find much information on people watercooling them. But I have read, somewhere, that they don't work well when too cool.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 974458
Zotty Reputation: 52

Quote:
There are two temp sensors listed in HWInfo64 for my SSD. Temp sensor 1 is showing values similar to what you're describing above, and from my research, those temps are perfectly healthy for SSDs.

But there is a second temp sensor. That one is high 60s, even low 70s at idle. And spikes up to in the 90s when I benchmark the drive w/Samsung's benchmarking tool. Which is a bit too hot.

There are passive heatsinks for NVMe M.2 SSDs as well. So I'll research that. I didn't find much information on people watercooling them. But I have read, somewhere, that they don't work well when too cool.
Mines a Corsair MP500 240gb M.2. obviously i sought assurance amongst the right people to make sure i was in the safe zone.. assured i was.. i watch it and it never goes over 63c. i also have a Samsung m.2.. not a fancy evo tho lol. its sits just above 32c. that is under a heat sync built into my motherboard.. guess time will tell with the samsung lol.. but the MP500 at 60c does worry me lol.. us old skoolers not so keen on drives at 60c.......

Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM

POST ID # = 975141

UPDATE: The case fits 2x GW 480 gtx in the front, with push/pull, and 2x 480gts in the top, push only. Front is intake, top is exhaust. The only wrinkle is that I can only fit 6x fans in pull in the front, as I have the rad ports at the bottom.

Next part of the project: can I fit twin reservoirs in the front, using singularity computer's ethereal mount. I think so, but we will see...

Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM

POST ID # = 975186
FeeNiX Reputation: 10

It would be really nice if we could get some detailed dimensions of the case for planning purposes. I was hoping to be able to pick the major cooling components with certainty before committing to the build. I'd make them myself when/if I buy the case, but I haven't used AutoCad since '99.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 AM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 975225

Quote:
UPDATE: The case fits 2x GW 480 gtx in the front, with push/pull, and 2x 480gts in the top, push only. Front is intake, top is exhaust. The only wrinkle is that I can only fit 6x fans in pull in the front, as I have the rad ports at the bottom.

Next part of the project: can I fit twin reservoirs in the front, using singularity computer's ethereal mount. I think so, but we will see...
A couple questions, if you don't mind...

For the front rad, you have eight fans mounted to the fan tray, then the two rads side-by-side, then six mounted for pull. It sounds like you are leaving the bottom-most pull fan-positions empty on each rad, presumably so you can more easily connect tubing to the rad ports which are at the bottom of the case. Is that correct?

Up at the top, you said you are exhausting through the radiator using push only. Does that mean you have the two rads mounted directly to the fan tray, and the fans underneath pushing air from the case through the rad and out? Or did you mount the fans to the radiator tray, then the rads, in which case if it's set up to exhaust, I would think you're pulling, not pushing, with the fans.

Or am I misunderstanding?

The GTS being relatively thin, I would think push (or pull) alone is enough to cool it. The thicker GTX will benefit more from push-pull.

Regarding the twin reservoirs, The Hardware Unboxed guy, in the videos I linked up above, wound up drilling out the drive-cage which made room for twin pumps, pump tops and reservoirs. I'm giving serious consideration to doing the same. I will need room for a couple backup HDDs, but I don't plan to add a second build to the case, so I figure I can mod-mount them to the top of the PSU shroud. All other drives in this build will be SSDs, which can mount directly to the motherboard (for M.2 NVMe) or in one of the 2.5" SSD mounts on the back-side of the case.

I also don't totally love how the aesthetics of the drive cage and how it's a different height than the PSU shroud. I think a more symmetrical arrangement where the bottom shroud extends across the entire case creating a full bottom compartment (sort of like the 900D, I think) would've been preferable, at least aesthetically, if not functionally.

Between recouping unused space taken up by the drive cage to use for watercooling equipment, and improved aesthetics, I'm really leaning towards drilling out the drive cage. I like how it looks in the build the Hardware Unboxed guy did. Just gotta figure out how to cover up the motherboard panel where the hole will be. Or maybe that's not even needed.

Last edited by cc10101; 10-05-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:07 AM

POST ID # = 975261
FeeNiX Reputation: 10

For another look at a dual build, with hard drive cage, check out Paul's build of Riptide on YouTube.

Parts 3 to 5 are most important. I like his quick release setup since I'd be using it as a work horse, not a show piece.

He has all 7 videos for the build in a playlist you can watch. Good for ideas. Video 7 deals with lighting setups.

Last edited by FeeNiX; 10-05-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Updating links since a playlist link doesn't work. And to specify HD Cage usage.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:22 PM

POST ID # = 975369

see below, I will try to post photos later today

Quote:
A couple questions, if you don't mind...

Q: For the front rad, you have eight fans mounted to the fan tray, then the two rads side-by-side, then six mounted for pull. It sounds like you are leaving the bottom-most pull fan-positions empty on each rad, presumably so you can more easily connect tubing to the rad ports which are at the bottom of the case. Is that correct?

A: Actually, there is not enough space to fit a line to the rad ports, as I have mounted them in the bottom. I could have rotated the rads, but I wanted to leave enough space at the top. I could probably fit a 15mm fan at the bottom row, but decided it is probably unnecessary.

Q: Up at the top, you said you are exhausting through the radiator using push only. Does that mean you have the two rads mounted directly to the fan tray, and the fans underneath pushing air from the case through the rad and out? Or did you mount the fans to the radiator tray, then the rads, in which case if it's set up to exhaust, I would think you're pulling, not pushing, with the fans.

Or am I misunderstanding?

A: I have the two rads mounted on the tray (they are not exactly parallel to each other, but its fine) and rads in push config to the rads.

The GTS being relatively thin, I would think push (or pull) alone is enough to cool it. The thicker GTX will benefit more from push-pull.

Q: Regarding the twin reservoirs, The Hardware Unboxed guy, in the videos I linked up above, wound up drilling out the drive-cage which made room for twin pumps, pump tops and reservoirs. I'm giving serious consideration to doing the same. I will need room for a couple backup HDDs, but I don't plan to add a second build to the case, so I figure I can mod-mount them to the top of the PSU shroud. All other drives in this build will be SSDs, which can mount directly to the motherboard (for M.2 NVMe) or in one of the 2.5" SSD mounts on the back-side of the case.

A: I managed to mount twin protium reservoirs using the dual ethereal holder directly on the front fans. I needed to use some additional accessories to do that though.

I also don't totally love how the aesthetics of the drive cage and how it's a different height than the PSU shroud. I think a more symmetrical arrangement where the bottom shroud extends across the entire case creating a full bottom compartment (sort of like the 900D, I think) would've been preferable, at least aesthetically, if not functionally.

Between recouping unused space taken up by the drive cage to use for watercooling equipment, and improved aesthetics, I'm really leaning towards drilling out the drive cage. I like how it looks in the build the Hardware Unboxed guy did. Just gotta figure out how to cover up the motherboard panel where the hole will be. Or maybe that's not even needed.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:36 PM

POST ID # = 975374

See photos. I am still missing 5 fans at the top, they should arrive soon. I used these, in combination with 35mm and 40mm m4 screws:

https://www.singularitycomputers.com...ail-120-black/

to mount two of these:

https://www.singularitycomputers.com...l-60mm-billet/

I was able to fit two 200mm Protium reservoirs. Right now, I am hoping to have the outlet for the left pump facing inside the case, hopefully there is enough space to run a tube to the bottom left port on the front rads. We will see.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Kalorean's PC Specs

POST ID # = 977121
Kalorean Reputation: 10

I am in the process of buying components for my 1000D rig atm.

For the custom loop I initially intended to use Push/Pull HWLabs Black Ice SR2 480s in the front and a 420 at the top. Sadly, as big as the case is, the measurements won't work for that without manually restructuring the case, which I don't see myself being able to do.

So I was wondering, do you guys think, would a 360 radiator also fit at the top, because it almost seems to me, that Corsairs own showcase video features not a 420, but a 360 rad? However, as I checked on the product page at the radiator compatability part a 360 at the top doesn't seem to be intended. And 280....

Puts me in kind of a dilemma, because the rads are as fixed for me as is the case.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Kalo

Last edited by Kalorean; 10-19-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:16 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 977122

Quote:
See photos. I am still missing 5 fans at the top, they should arrive soon. I used these, in combination with 35mm and 40mm m4 screws:

https://www.singularitycomputers.com...ail-120-black/

to mount two of these:

https://www.singularitycomputers.com...l-60mm-billet/

I was able to fit two 200mm Protium reservoirs. Right now, I am hoping to have the outlet for the left pump facing inside the case, hopefully there is enough space to run a tube to the bottom left port on the front rads. We will see.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:26 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 977126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorean View Post
I am in the process of buying components for my 1000D rig atm.

For the custom loop I initially intended to use Push/Pull HWLabs Black Ice SR2 480s in the front and a 420 at the top. Sadly, as big as the case is, the measurements won't work for that without manually restructuring the case, which I don't see myself being able to do.

So I was wondering, do you guys think, would a 360 radiator also fit at the top, because it almost seems to me, that Corsairs own showcase video features not a 420, but a 360 rad? However, as I checked on the product page at the radiator compatability part a 360 at the top doesn't seem to be intended. And 280....

Puts me in kind of a dilemma, because the rads are as fixed for me as is the case.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Kalo
I'm still debating what I want to do. And have been side-tracked with other stuff.

I think I've narrowed my choices down to one of two approaches:

1) Four 480s, thick and push/pull intake at front, thin and push only exhaust at the top.

Or...

2) Two 480s, thick and push/pull intake at front. Two 360s, thick and push/pull exhaust at top, leaving just fans (with no rad) in the top-front two fan slots of the 8 x 120 top fan tray.

I'm leaning towards the second solution which has some flexibility in terms of having space to connect stuff in the upper front corner, and also adding a couple extra uncovered fans to pull cool air into the case near the top.

Not sure what brand rads yet, although one of: HW Labs, EK or Alphacool I guess. The Alphacool's will fit directly to the fan trays without fans inbetween, if necessary, as it will be at the top if just doing push for exhaust.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:48 AM
Kalorean's PC Specs

POST ID # = 977184
Kalorean Reputation: 10

Quote:

I'm leaning towards the second solution which has some flexibility in terms of having space to connect stuff in the upper front corner, and also adding a couple extra uncovered fans to pull cool air into the case near the top.

Not sure what brand rads yet, although one of: HW Labs, EK or Alphacool I guess. The Alphacool's will fit directly to the fan trays without fans inbetween, if necessary, as it will be at the top if just doing push for exhaust.
Thank you for that input.

I am still wondering as to why nobody seems to have thought of a single 360 rad option in one of the trays. Maybe it has been considered to be too small

As to your radiator choice. Qualitywise like you wrote, HW Labs > EK > AC. At least that is what is regularly recommended in german forums.

Tags
1000d, radiator mount options