The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Theri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 890976
Theri Reputation: 10
Default AX860i and random shutdowns followed by bootloop

Problem: The PC was build around November 2016, ran smoothly the first 1-2 months. PC will shutdown, it can happen anytime. What will happen is the computer will shutdown, then it will stay shut off. I then go ahead and press the on button on the front panel to turn it on, then it will enter a bootloop. The boot loop looks like the kind many other people on these forums are having. The PC will start for 1 second, then shut off for about 3 seconds. This will repeat until I am "lucky" and it will start by telling me it was ASUS anti surge or just a plain restart with no error codes. But most of the time I got to flip the on/off switch on the PSU and take out the 24-pin power cable for the motherboard before it's fixed. So basically, same story as many others on these forums.

System specs:

Intel Core i7-6700K

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula, S-1151

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 ROG Strix Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

Corsair AX 860i, 860W PSU

Crucial® MX300 750GB 2.5" SSD

WD Desktop Blue 3TB 3.5"

Corsair Obsidian 750D Big Tower

What I've tried:

-Rebuilding the PC because I thought there might be a short circuit with a standoff or somthing. Nothing!
-Testing motherboard, CPU and PSU to see if I can get up bios.
-Testing Mobo, CPU, PSU and 1 brick of RAM.
-Tried all of the RAM. 1 by 1.
-Ran MemTest86.
-Changing PCI slot for my GPU.
-Checking temps on all components.
-Rebuild the computer, 2nd time. Checking everything is snug and perfect.
-Changing all the cables with new ones.
-Send in a RMA for my PSU, wicth was tested OK with a stress test that lasted 60+ hours running PassMark, BurnInTest og Heaven benchmark.
-Rebuild the computer again for the 3rd time. ran alot of different stress tests. This time there is no shutdown for 2 months, then shutdowns again.
-Did some testing with support on the phone. Showed him this forum with all the posts about faulty PSUs. Send in a complaint to the seller, waiting for answer.

I dunno what I expect by posting this, mostly for awareness and for others to see the problem. Ofcourse IF you know anything I dont please feel free to help me :)

Old 03-04-2017, 07:30 PM
popntop's PC Specs

POST ID # = 893886
popntop Reputation: 10

yea mine is doing the exact same thing im trying to rma mine but i dunno how thats going to go how did yours turn out

Old 03-05-2017, 04:17 AM
Kompura's PC Specs

POST ID # = 893915
Kompura Reputation: 10

Mine started to do that same this morning! Nice to know that it's the PSU, not nice to know that expensive PSU is having this kind of issues!

Edit: I switched some cables to other slots in PSU and now it seems to stay up. At least 2 hours now.

I'm having ASUS HERO VIII mb and Asus strix 1080 OC. Pretty much the same configuration as op. Also Corsair H110iGT cooling.

Last edited by Kompura; 03-05-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 AM
mondenath's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894063
mondenath Reputation: 10

yes this boot loop i also have it. Seems the 24pin is having some issues . I have to tweak the 24pin for some angle and then pc will boot.

Its was weired. But it suddenly gone. For ax series it should not happen.
Do remove the cable from psu and re-insert it. Same for the motherboard.

It has to be loose connection or some faulty connection.

If you can change the 24pin and see if things change.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Kompura's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894119

Today I was opening case door while PC was running and I got small static electric shock from the case. PSU immediately shut down. detaching and attaching power cable fixed the issue. Could it be that this PSU would be very sensitive to static electricity, it generates it itself also and when playing with cables, it discharges and starts to work again? Too sensitive components?

Last edited by Kompura; 03-06-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 PM
slipps666's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894173
slipps666 Reputation: 10

i sorted mine by turning off surge protection in the bios .... all fine now

Old 03-08-2017, 02:56 AM
Theri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894320
Default Regarding the surge protection

Do you think it is because it's sensitive and shuts down? I first thought about turning off surge protection some months ago, but I was too scared that I would screw up and it would get a real surge.

Did it sort the problem 100%?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:59 AM
Theri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894321
Default Update

I am still waiting for an answer for the RMA. I see you guys are having the problem too!

Since I made this post it has happened 20+ times! Sometimes it will occur multiple times in an hour. Other instances it won't happen for days.

I really hope for a positive reply from Corsair soon :( Have had this problem for a long time now.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:01 AM
Kompura's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theri View Post
Do you think it is because it's sensitive and shuts down? I first thought about turning off surge protection some months ago, but I was too scared that I would screw up and it would get a real surge.

Did it sort the problem 100%?
I turned the surge protection off yesterday after one shutdown. After that no shutdowns but one "flash" or snap (was like electric shock) where my screens went black for couple of milliseconds. That can't be good for my system so I will most definitely contact supplier to get this PSU changed.

Edit: Turning off surge protection does not help. Only way is to unplug PC from AC, just slightly move connectors in PSU and plug in AC. After that it works some time, very weird, absolutely no idea what could fix that.

Last edited by Kompura; 03-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM
mondenath's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894710
mondenath Reputation: 10

rma the psu see if it helps

Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Huffel's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894851
Huffel Reputation: 10

I had a strange issue a couple of years back, where my PC would do the same thing after min's on & just completely powering down & rebooting constantly...

I 1st thought about the PSU & replacing it, but on a whim decided to remove all peripherals & connect them back in 1 at a time & hay presto I found the issue.
Would you believe it the wire of my 8 month old Razer Naga Epic, it was shorting out the USB hub on my MOBO & causing the machine to protect itself from the surge.

My Win XP operating system (at the time) gave me no warning popups of the issue at all but when I plugged the offending mouse into my Mum's old Win 2000 machine the popup warning came up straight away.
This & a reminder of Section 75 of the consumer credit act was all the proof I needed to get Amazon to take responsibility & replace my Naga which I'm still using to this day :)

I had No need to replace mu PSU at all, so just throwing this out there in case its a curve ball that is causing your issue plus the fact that your getting an ASUS error warning.

I always find it's not fixing the problem with your rig but finding it that is the issue & like finding a needle in a haystack lol gl.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Breimeister's PC Specs

POST ID # = 897076
Breimeister Reputation: 10

I just installed a replacement H100i and the installed the latest Corsair Link software. Everything looked good the first few times I tried it and I managed to set up Corsair Link exactly how I wanted it. Knowing I had problems with this software in the past I made sure it would not start up with Windows.

Suddenly when I ran Corsair Link, the system would shut down - power supply surges detected and the Asus surge protection shut it down. Should I replace my AX860i, turn off the surge protection in the bios or replace the AX860i?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 AM

POST ID # = 898640
coolrunning Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipps666 View Post
i sorted mine by turning off surge protection in the bios .... all fine now
Are you sure you corrected the problem or just hid it? If surge protection is being triggered that is not likely a good sign. The solution is not to accept hamful spikes but to RMA the unit and check the socket.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:11 AM

POST ID # = 898643

Just as FYI incase anyone is interested my 1200ax was undervolting. If you want to monitor the voltage and at least figure out the rail the problem is on download HWMONITOR

Old 04-09-2017, 10:12 AM

POST ID # = 898644

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html