The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 AM

POST ID # = 908348
kidlat020 Reputation: 10
Default CUE eats up a lot of memory

and I mean, A LOT

Old 06-17-2017, 08:09 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908352
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

I am not sure 200,000 KB qualifies as a lot. That is similar to my usage and about the same as your Garena messenger software suite. It will be a little more with the program window up front and less when minimized. If you are really up against your memory limits, you either need to upgrade or start limiting non-essential programs.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:10 AM

POST ID # = 908366
kidlat020 Reputation: 10

in comparison CCC.exe (used by Radeon cards) is only using 100kb and that's a video card.

I'm using CUE only for the wireless headset. is there a way to reduce how much memory its eating when running in background? I really need memory.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Witch
Comet ☄'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 908639
Comet ☄ Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Comet ☄

The Catalyst Control Center is the application that controls the video card. The settings are not stored in that process's private memory, but usable by any graphics application. Note, also, that the graphics card has its own memory that is not reflected in task manager.

I have CCC and CUE 2, and here are my observations for minimized CUE 2:
CPU: 10%
Private Bytes: 159,932 K
Working Set: 96,836 K

I am using a basic profile which makes lots of random number calls to set random colors on all the keys, while my mouse features a rotating color palette.

CUE is running at standard priority, and when the system needs memory for another process, it will shrink the working set dynamically. The working set reflects the amount of memory that is currently used by the process. CUE's backing store for much of the memory are various DLLs and having this in memory allows for quicker access than paging the disk into memory. The pageable memory used by variables is backed by the system pagefile, so even this memory is reclaimed by the system dynamically when there is need for it by another process.

On a perfect system, 100% of memory and CPU should be in use at all times, because memory access is much faster than disk and if your CPU is not processing when it could do something useful, it is wasting wall time. Of course, not everything will fit into memory for all processes all the time. The Windows scheduler and memory manager will trim processes working sets dynamically. There is a performance setting that allows users to modify the relative balance between a large and smaller maximum working set and also for process priorities, and the size of CPU quantum indicating how much CPU a thread will be able to use before the scheduler makes it give way for another thread.

If you are in need of memory, write your program to allocate nonpaged pool, and your pocess' memory will not get bumped by dynamic allocations to CUE or any other program.

Last edited by Comet ☄; 06-18-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM
CCFAN's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908662
CCFAN Reputation: 10

160 MB doesn't seem to be "a lot".

But CUE in my system uses only about 77 MB memory. Anyway I have 16 GB in total, so who cares about the 100 or 200 MB memory?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908667
red-ray Reputation: 81
Thumbs down This is poor advice as this is only possible in Kernel Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet ☄ View Post
If you are in need of memory, write your program to allocate nonpaged pool
In user mode the sensible way to do ensure your program has all the physical memory it needs is to use VirtualAlloc() or VirtualAllocEx() and then VirtualLock().

CUE using 200MB is symptomatic of Software Bloat and as current systems in general are 64-bit and have plenty of RAM I suspect Corsair will not be inclined to try and reduce the CUE memory usage.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM

POST ID # = 908674
Nikaz Reputation: 10

OP, just go to CUE folder and delete every folder from devices/masks that is not your corsair product. At the start of the windows it will use anywhere between 50-200mb but affter few minutes in tray (dont use it, just set your settings once and let it sit there) it will use really, I mean really low ram.

http://i.imgur.com/41d80ZZ.png

Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 908855
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
In user mode the sensible way to do ensure your program has all the physical memory it needs is to use VirtualAlloc() or VirtualAllocEx() and then VirtualLock().

CUE using 200MB is symptomatic of Software Bloat and as current systems in general are 64-bit and have plenty of RAM I suspect Corsair will not be inclined to try and reduce the CUE memory usage.
Let's not get into the game of assumptions. My developers are always aware of my request to be as efficient as possible with SW implementation. We don't assume that because memory is in large amounts that we can get away with shoddy work. CUE is a very complicated piece of software that has over a hundred features spread across over 4 different genre of products. Eventually as customers ask for more features and our products have increased functionality, resources will go up as a trade-off.

It is offensive to the team and me to simply assume that we do things without consideration of our users.

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 AM

POST ID # = 993019
zaspae Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlat020 View Post
and I mean, A LOT

Hey, you find any fix for memory usage?