Corsair Community

k95 with just white leds?

bernhard85

i have the k95 keyboard with the white only lighting with the cherry red mx keys ... is there any way to take the cherry red mx keys out and purchase rgb cherry mx keys and install them or would they not work because the keyboard was only white lighting..? plz help i reaslly need to purchase new keys because the while leds have blown out on over half my keys and if i can upgrade it by just getting rgb keys i would prefer it... i love the k95 its a great keyboard the white leds are just junk..

The LEDs on the cherry RGB switches are mounted to the pcb, not in or on the switch. As for the standard Cherry switches, the LEDs are mounted on the top of the switch, making them prone to ESD.

It is possible to put the RGB switches in your keyboard (at the sacrifice of backlighting), but you will also have to de-solder the LEDs.

If you want a RGB keyboard (also capable of white), then just get a k95 Platinum, or if you can find one, a k95 RGB original that has the same layout and buttons as the k95 white LEDs.

another quwstion if its ok ... is it hard to replace the switches if i just wanted to keep the same white leds that are built into the switch or would it be easier to just get a new keyboard ? i reallyyy love the k95 keyboard and would like to keep it but if its a medium risk it might not work id rather just buy another..? thanks in advance for your help :)

thanks for answering i am not new to pc's but i am new to the whole rgb craze haha and you have helped alot :)

Glad I could help!

another quwstion if its ok ... is it hard to replace the switches if i just wanted to keep the same white leds that are built into the switch or would it be easier to just get a new keyboard ? i reallyyy love the k95 keyboard and would like to keep it but if its a medium risk it might not work id rather just buy another..? thanks in advance for your help :)

Replacing the switches are not hard at all, just a little de-soldering for a while. However, getting to the pcb and switches can be difficult and/or frustrating, due to how Corsair builds their keyboards. I recommend you watch several teardowns online.

It would be easier to get a new keyboard, but if you would prefer to fix your board, go for it. Just don't forget you will need to purchase the LEDs and the standard Cherry switches, that is, the ones with the black body if you are to have backlighting.

Archived