Corsair Community

Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler stopped working. CPU Fan Error at Boot.

colesdav

Hi,

Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler running on Asus Z87 Deluxe Motherboard and i7-4770K CPU.

H100i was purchased in July 2013, so it is almost 5 years old.

I reseated and reapplied thermal paste once ~ 2 years ago.

CPU temps seemed fine but I started to have problems at boot about 1 month ago.

Now PC will not boot. The Cooler fans do not spin. The Cooler light does not turn on. My PC has been down for ~ 1.5 weeks now. I just started the debug process.

As part of debug, I reflashed the motherboard BIOS, the motherboard is o.k. I can get into BIOS Settings if I attach a Fan directly to the Motherboard CPU Header, (removed the connection from the H100i).

Is it possible that the H100i iwas bricked after a Corsair Link Firmware update or is it likely the Pump has died?

Is there any way I can reset the H100i Firmware?

I am unable to boot into Windows without replacing the H100i cooler.

I think I am still entitled to RMA this Cooler. However the RMA support page login seems broken, I reset my pasword today. I logged in. I only get some text displayed. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Is this the original H100i or the H100i V2?

If the V2, make sure that the fan header is set to 100%. That's often missed in a BIOS flash.

Otherwise ... yes, time for an RMA. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the support site issues. :(

I would hazard guess at the Pump is now past its sell buy date dude

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I understand that the H100i is almost 5 years old. It is still under Warranty though.

I agree. I think the Pump has probably failed completely.

I will try to RMA it next.

Cheers.

Is this the original H100i or the H100i V2?

If the V2, make sure that the fan header is set to 100%. That's often missed in a BIOS flash.

Otherwise ... yes, time for an RMA. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the support site issues. :(

It is an H100i original version, not version 2.

I did try changing the CPU Fan Setting in the Z87 BIOS but it made no difference.

I will contact Corsair somehow about the RMA.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Hi,

I have just been able to log into my Corsair Account on the Support Ticket System and I managed to file a Support Ticket.

I had asked for help on this forum and also contacted Corsair directly to tell them about the login issue.

Thanks to whoever helped with the login issue.

Bye.

Update.

I have had no response to the Support Ticket yet.

I think I have completed all of the Debug I can for now.

I have left the H100i Cooler Heatsink Connected to the CPU on the PC and I have not removed it yet.

The H100i Pump appears to be doing something...

I connect only the SATA Power and Corsair Link Connection to the H100i unit.

I leave the CPU_FAN header connection and Ysplitter fan outputs disconnected.

I powered the Corsair H100i Radiator Fans directly from motherboard CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers.

I can then boot into BIOS Settings and I see ~ 35'C CPU Temp reported in BIOS Settings.

Using this setup I can boot into my PC and launch Windows.

I am able to run the PC and I ran Norton Antivirus check to load the CPU.

I can feel the heat on the lower radiator pipe, the upper radiator pipe is cool.

ASUS AISUITE3 reports CPU Temps in reasonable range.

It looks like the Fan Controller Unit on The H100i has stopped working completely.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Corsair Link and the H100i unit is not seen.

(I assume this should upgrade my firmware on the H100i?)

I have an additional pair of working Corsair H100i Fans (same model of fan and rating).

If I connect those additional fans to the Ysplitter output from the H100i, they do not spin at all. Those fans work if I connect them to motherboard fan headers.

I then powered down the PC.

I disconnected the H100i from SATA power and Corsair Link.

I left the Ysplitter output fan connector from the H100i disconnected from the spare Corsair Fans.

I left the Corsair H100i Radiator Fans running from the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers on the motherboard.

I disconnected the SATA Boot drive so the PC Boots directly to BIOS Settings.

I get ~ 65'C CPU Temp reported in BIOS Settings before PC shuts down almost immediately.

If I then reconnect Sata Power to the H100i Unit, and boot into BIOS I see CPU Temps of ~ 35'C again. The PC Sits in BIOS Settings fine and does not shut down in this case.

In conclusion ... I did nothing to the H100i Unit. The PC would not boot because the fan controller in the H100i has stopped working for some reason.

I will update the Support Ticket with this text.

This was a common vulnerability on that series of H80i/H100i. The fan controller was a sensitive thing and when it went, it often took the LED light with it. The cooler still functions, but you need to run the fans from the board. Regardless, this should be covered under the warranty and you can RMA the cooler. In the meantime, keep the fans on the motherboard (obviously) and if you get another H100i back (not a V2), make sure you keep the total amperage of the fans under 0.65-0.70A. The cooler is supposed to be rated higher, but I have 2xH80i and 1xH100i in the same state that suggest otherwise.

Archived