Corsair Community

LINK Blog Post

Yellowbeard

Hi

nice job on the blogg.

Can I re ask my istall question. any chance of some sort of install schematic, how it all connects together what connectioins are bneeded, how do you fit in the cooling 7 lighting node (cant see any screw holes in the pics off the corsair web site) how many bays do you need to fit it all in ?

Sorry loads of questions, at present so much appears to be hidden, I cant "visualise" how it fits into the case.

How many watts/amps is each PWM "Fan" channel and would I be able to control my water pumps (mpc35x) on each channel? I will be connecting them through its molex power as the other wire that comes with the pump is only used for PWM control and monitoring RPM. And are we able to buy more fan nods just incase each PWM channel can only support one fan and option to buy the kit in all black and not silver as seen in some pictures and more lighting LEDs? On the site I can't find a location where you can add all those extras. I know its alot of questions but need to know so I know if I'am going to purchase it. Thanks.

Specs:

MCP35x = 1.5 Amp Each Pump

x6 Xigmatek (Push/Pull Radiator Fans) = .20 Amps each Fan

How many watts/amps is each PWM "Fan" channel and would I be able to control my water pumps (mpc35x) on each channel? I will be connecting them through its molex power as the other wire that comes with the pump is only used for PWM control and monitoring RPM. And are we able to buy more fan nods just incase each PWM channel can only support one fan and option to buy the kit in all black and not silver as seen in some pictures and more lighting LEDs? On the site I can't find a location where you can add all those extras. I know its alot of questions but need to know so I know if I'am going to purchase it. Thanks.

Specs:

MCP35x = 1.5 Amp Each Pump

x6 Xigmatek (Push/Pull Radiator Fans) = .20 Amps each Fan

Working on it, I'll get back with you when I have the info.

"This is the answer from our engineering team:

2 amps max per fan connector or 4 amps total across all five

Fan nodes and light nodes will be made available separately before the end of the month. Each lighting node will have 3 light strips in it. A kit for just the light strips is not in production at this time.

The control node will not be available in black. All production units are silver."

Corsair Memory

I called corsair today and talked to a representative who than e-mailed the engineer who was in charge or the creator if I recall correctly of the Corsair Link and got this response. Hope this helps some on their decision which helped mine and will be purchasing the kit tomorrow morning. :headbang2

Fan nodes and light nodes will be made available separately before the end of the month. Each lighting node will have 3 light strips in it. A kit for just the light strips is not in production at this time.

The control node will not be available in black. All production units are silver."

Corsair Memory

I called corsair today and talked to a representative who than e-mailed the engineer who was in charge or the creator if I recall correctly of the Corsair Link and got this response. Hope this helps some on their decision which helped mine and will be purchasing the kit tomorrow morning. :headbang2

LOL.....that's not fair. You got a reply before I did :(:

J/K, and thanks for posting it. I've also requested that this and similar info be added to the product page and/or the product FAQ. It was already in the works. ::pirate::

LOL.....that's not fair. You got a reply before I did :(:

J/K, and thanks for posting it. I've also requested that this and similar info be added to the product page and/or the product FAQ. It was already in the works. ::pirate::

No problem Yellowbeard LOL :D .....I figured you were super busy with the whole website. I'll be ordering it today once I get my accessories list finished on the othe products I need. Unfortunetly corsair doesn't make sleeved extension cables for my TX950 :(: or I'd be buying those too. Anyhow good day everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
I recently finished my 500R Build with a H100, Corair Link Commander, cooling and lighting nodes. All went together well, no physical problems at this time..........But! Is there any manual or help files for the software for the system i.e. Setting up and locating lighting strips, thermocouples et al ?

Fan nodes and light nodes will be made available separately before the end of the month...

Well, the end of last month (January) came and went. Any word from Corsair on the those Fan Nodes that were supposed to be available?

My Pumps and Fans have a max combined output of 4.80A, so I will need more than one Fan Node to be able to utilize the link in my system. Am am starting my rebuild first week of March, so hopefully they release the nodes by then, or I will have to stick with my Kaze Master for fan control.

• 2 months later...

Hi

OK - here's my 5c on the question of Amps/Watts per channel.

It is not a problem! :biggrin:

As far as i can tell - and i just imported a link controller which i am installing tomorrow - that all the fans are all PWM

Thus: my suggestion...

Is to forget the possible and likely controller limitation by doing what most do - use some minor modding abilities like soldering to take ALL PWM fans power to Molex/your PSU directly. :idea:

Only 1 x sense and all the fan controller cables need go to the Link module.

So of the 4 fan wires only one per fan is needed (controller) + one fan's sense/speed wire.

Thus let the PSU be directly handling "mega" amps and the controller doing what it is designed to do.

:idea: Of course one could also use nice sleeved PWM fan cable splitters - they even have 4 or 5 or up to 9 way splits from one header - and ALREADY only have one sense from one fan connected - so then all we need to do is cut and re-route the female header's two power cables (+12V and ground) to molex - which is easy and neater.

And to be clear[er]

OF the 4 x PWM fan ports on the controller [as example]

You could use e.g. 4 fans per port as long as that port only gets one speed/sense from one of it's quartet of fans - and all 4 x fans controller wires.

One could thus string 2 ~ 6 fans PER HEADER with the PSU handling all the grunt - which it has to anyway. And the controller is 'idling' as control voltages is far less current than fan motors.

Excluding....

As for the awful 3 pin 'old' analog fans - different story - and IME (in my experience) motherboards handle 3 analog fans per header in fine - np (the basic 120 & 140mm types - higher grade or larger is another story again)

Using 2 analog fans (3 pin) per MoBo header is "safe" in my book

(remember to only use one speed sense wire (usually yellow) from only one fan - so i 'snip' the one fans or use a "Y" splitter that has that already done

Back to PWM (fans - pumps, PWM units)...

I have used this direct to PSU power on all 4 of my own systems with perfect results. Some are SFF but still have 4 or 5 fans inside. Others more. Sure - it means some 'minor alterations' - but for me it is no issue as it only affects the fans - the rest of the cables remain as is.

Actually very easy if one can cut and solder/join. :!:

Example...

Cut the yellow and black cables off the fan header - about 2 cm away so one has place to re-join in case that fan is needed for other future uses.

Now take a standard molex y splitter or molex to SATA or any molex you have lying around - cut the cables all off - short or leave as long as you need them - then join the fan yellow to the molex yellow and the fan black to the molex black.

Rinse and repeat for the other fans.

Corsair link (or other controllers) wires remain as is.

Voila

One issue may be a grounding loop - or rather lack of.

Meaning the black(s) should ideally all be "together". Usually the controller gets ground via its body (not so much in PC stuff) or via a fan input - so i recommend joining at least one of the black wires "back" to at least one of the fan headers - thus supplying ground and all is then happy.

I hope that makes sense and i am going to (again) do the same to my link commander tomorrow -if necessary but i 'may' be able to get away with 4 x PWM as the two other are analog (argh...no 140mm PWM's here in ZA barring the oddly colored and 120mm holed TY-140's)

Ok - its late here so time to rest - and if anyone spots a mistake or has a better idea please inform us.

Cheers

PS - another very similar problem - inverse in fact (too little per channel!)

My next is a RGB LED project is to see if corsair use the std RGB wiring for the light node.

If not - and i bet it aint....then that is first to be changed so one can use standard RGB strip flex!!!

Because for the life of me i cannot find ANY Corsair RGB strips for sale as loose items - although referenced and advertised e.g. "can be bought separately...and bragging about 33 LED strips per channel per Light node...big deal if there is zero to buy eh!

bleh

PS - Anyone make a manual on all the wiring and possibilities?

I saw the great overview i think Yellowbeard did with the software....but hardware is less forgiving.

And it really would be nice to have the wires and options and all the tips in a manual for sure.

From sensors to to adding pumps and RGP strip light joining and expansions.

(Gosh - i hope the link commander software is OK - because i have 2 x identical dead corsair rodents cause the software keeps eating them up - got tired of firmware flashing)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived