Corsair Community

New 500R case fan problem

osek1994

Hello everyone, I just got my new Carbide 500r case all hooked up and working except for the two transparent front fans. I know they are supposed to be controlled by the front panel and they are hooked up to a wire that loops up into the front panel somewhere. There weren't sufficient instructions that came with the case, but I doesn't look like I am supposed to plug them into anything else and the ends of these connectors have tabs in them that prevent them from fitting into the regular motherboard fan connectors. I know these fans work because I have been able to crudely bypass the front panel by plugging them into a molex to 3-pin converter, it worked but they don't fit properly. Same goes for the huge side fan, I can't plug that connector into anything on my motherboard. The rear fan is fine though, that one had a regular connector that fit into my motherboard. I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you for responding, but what do you mean it should go to the front panel? Both fans are already connected to a cable that connects to the front panel, that's how they were out of the box. I have everything else from the front panel connected to the motherboard correctly, USB 3.0, the power indicators, etc. it's all working. The front fans and the big side fan connectors don't fit anywhere on my motherboard or power supply cables.

Well, alright. This is what the fans connect to:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9728/dscn5352.jpg

It's one of the cables that connects to the front panel, like THIS -

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1892/dscn5358a.jpg

And this is what the connectors I am talking about look like:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5537/dscn5360p.jpg

To me... That looks like a standard 3-pin motherboard connector. the things on the side are convenient for the user to remove the plug without needing that extra pulling force.

So try plugging it in the motherboard connectors and it should work.

Well I'll be damned, they do fit. I tried that before but the tab on the side (not visible in pic) made me to think that it would be in the way of the tab on the mobo connector and cause one or the other to break off, but as it turns out the tabs just hook onto each other and it fits. You sir have my eternal gratitude for pointing this out and I hope you pardon my stupidity, this is my first computer build. Still, that doesn't explain how to use the fan controller on the front panel but whatever, my problem is now solved, thank you.

Don't worry about your stupidity...For the fan controller i would believe there are 3-pin connectors bundled with the other front panel connection?

if so, you can plug the fan you plugged in the motherboard to one of them and it should be now controlled from that button. Note that there may be a 4-pin molex connector that you need to plug or else the fans won't power on.

Is it three or four for the 500R? Corsair George (a.k.a. Yellowbeard) stated four on overclock.net. I just received my 500R yesterday and I would like to know whether the four fans that come with it will all connect to the front panel fan control. Thanks.

From another post namely "Carbide 500R Is Wonderful" by G50EED, he stated that the fan controller only works for the front two and side panel fans. So it is only able to control three fans? and the rear is running at full exhaust at all time?

Correct, but if you plug the rear fan into your motherboard you may be able to control it that way.

Correct, but if you plug the rear fan into your motherboard you may be able to control it that way.

Ah, thank you very much. I think I am still going to purchase this case. Do you have any recommendations for the cases top exhaust fans (since they do not come with the case)?

Ah, thank you very much. I think I am still going to purchase this case. Do you have any recommendations for the cases top exhaust fans (since they do not come with the case)?

Whatever you get, make sure it has BALL bearings not SLEEVE bearings. The sleeve bearings wear out in no time when they are mounted horizontally.

Archived