Corsair Community

Big Puma_Obsidian 1000D_First water loop

At first I want to give a shout out to this forum for posts/info regarding the 1000D case. Especially Zotty and his thread on the 1000D build. It is a huge help following the wiring diagram(s). Highly recommend for anyone attempting to build this beast.

At the start I decided to try for a custom loop. It is way out of my comfort zone to try something like it. However, I gained a lot of confidence watching YouTube videos of JaysTwoCents and Paul's Hardware Riptide build. Also highly recommend if you're going the custom loop route.

My plans were to build a dual system with Asus Extreme XI (ETX form) and Asus I-Gaming (MiniITX form). To start, I built the primary system to see how the custom loop works then add in the MinITX system afterwards. During the process I became comfortable with a custom loop and decided to add a second loop. My thoughts are to separate the CPU and GPUs on individual cooling loops for now.

Ultimately, if I build in the MiniITX system, I can switch the second loop to it and run the whole primary system on the a single loop. The layout was designed with this in mind. Or I may go overboard and design a smaller 3rd custom loop for the MiniITX. Will decide on that later.

As a side note, I'm struggling with "needing" a second system. The truth is the main system handles all my work/gaming needs at the moment. FreeNAS is an option but not convinced it's worth doing in this build. I may just say screw it and do it because it looks ridiculous which fits this build already. Stoopid I know!!!

Here are a few tips/thoughts for those looking to build a loop in this case.

1. The case is GINORMOUS but easy to handle at first (I'm a huge guy). However, as components like rads and and water are added the PC becomes a freaking anchor. Just by chance I have one of those rolling file cabinets that are knee high. It's on wheels which makes rotating and moving the case very easy. It turns out it will remain there because it's perfect height to my desk for the moment.

2. Fear of building a custom loop is unwarranted. It's much easier than you think but does take some practice with hard tube bending (in my case). It took 2 tries on a single piece of tube to understand how the heat gun and bending of PETG tubing works. Did a double 90 degree bend on third try so confidence on bending tube can be learned quickly. **All you need are a few things (i bought every tool in the shop but only used the following** (your eyeballs, heat gun, red pipe-cutter, silicon insert w/ soap, and 1200 grit sandpaper). The pipe cutter cuts perfect ends but use sandpaper just to soften if needed. The truth is you'll eyeball the runs then heat and bend. For straight edges and 90 degree bends just use the edge of a table/desk. That's it. Not hard I promise. Soft tube is way easy!

3. When planning my loop I started with where the drain ports will be located. This is for 2 reasons. One, if I had a FUBAR during build I could drain immediately (never happened). Two, I wanted to keep out of site for a clean look on front. The Obsidian 1000D is large enough to hide in back (see pics). The remaining loop design pretty much directs itself. For the dual loop system I located to pump/reservoir combo near each other. It takes a couple of holes drilled on MOBO backplate to make this happen but that was done in 5 minutes. EKWB sends a bracket template with pump/reservoir combo in case you need to mod case.

4. Watercooling is great. One thing I tried and measured was running both CPU and 2 GPUs on same loop of 1 (420 rad) and 2 (480 rad) radiators. My single loop initially was pump > gpus > cpu > 420 rad > 480 rads > reservoir > pump. Temps under this configuration were just a few degree higher on the upper GPU and CPU but coolant was nice around 1-2 degrees above ambient. When I changed to dual loop system the difference in temps on the components are within 5 degrees cooler but the coolant remains the same at 1 - 2 degree above ambient. In essence it doesn't matter if I go with single loop vs double loop. The temps are really close.

4. Fans and RGG connecting to Commander Pros ("CoPros") causes a rat's ***** to occur in back of case. I spent the most time juggling wires and trying to locate 3 CoPros and 3 RGB hubs. Here's how to make it much easier for you. FOLLOW ZOTTY's threads on CoPros and the 1000D build. For me it worked best by connecting fans to rads then grouping wires to each CoPro. For example, the front right 4 fans/4 rgb are connected to one CoPro and RGB hub. I mounted both the CoPro and RGB hub on top of each other then mounted to case. Make sure all wires are connected first per Zotty's diagram. Repeat process for each set of fans/RGB and CoPro/Hub. I had no issues at start up with everything working.

6. Corsair iCue and Asus Aura work nicely in my build. Need to find way to control both with a single interface. No complaints.

7. Having never used iCue before I was concerned about controlling fan speed and curves for the watercooling. Turns out it was for nothing. iCue is more than enough to manage. To do this I used 1 temp sensor on each loop to measure temp of coolant (CPU and GPUs each had there own sensor). Ran the sensor to CoPro so it shows in the iQue software. I also ran temp probes for rear exhaust fan, ambient air, and mobo temp near RAM. All are graphed and allow for custom fan curves in iQue.

8. My pumps are connected directly to the Mobo. Asus UEFI is neat and allows for higher pump speeds than iQue. I just let the Mobo run the pumps. I only care about coolant temp and fan speed which can be run through CoPro.

9. The build took about 1 month of focus. Mostly due to delays in shipping of parts. The GPU blocks come from Bykski in China since nobody carries my GPUs blocks.

10. As mentioned I'm debating on installing second system that is essentially a duplicate of the primary system. Other than looks at this time I don't have a reason. However, i'm getting more into video editing and may convert primary system to work mode and use secondary system as gaming. Will update.

For a quick breakdown on parts:

MAIN SYSTEM INSTALLED

-Case: Corsair Obsidian 1000D

-Fans: Corsair LL120s x 10 fans on front rads and back of case, LL140s x 6 on top rad in push/pull config

-Fan/RGB Controller: (3) Commander Pros and RGB Hubs (1 set comes with case)

-Mobo: Asus Maximus Extreme XI (Z390)

-Processor: Intel 9900K

-GPUs: (2) Asus ROG 2080 TI Advanced (NVLink by EVGA (will be replaced w/ Asus cuz I'm OCD))

-Memory: G.Skill Royal 3600 (4x8 = 32GB)

-Storage: (2) Samsung M.2 970 Evo 2TB

-PSU: Corsair AX1600i

-Cables: CableMod Purple/Silver/Black

SECOND SYSTEM - MAYBE?

-Mobo: Asus I-Gaming MiniITX (Z390)

-Processor: Intel 9900K

-Memory: G.Skill Royal 3200 (2x8 = 16GB)

-Storage: Samsung M.2 970 Evo 2TB

-PSU: Corsair SFX 650

-Cables: CableMod Purple Black Silver

WATERCOOLING COMPONENTS

-Radiators Front: Alphacool (2) 480mm 60mm thicc

-Radiator Top: Alphacool 420 60mm thicc

-Pump/Reservoir Combo: (2) EKWB 140 RGB combo (swapped 140mm for 250mm reservoirs)

-CPU Block: Alphacool Eisblock w/ RGB ring

-GPU Blocks: (2) Bykski for Asus ROG 2080TI (Hard to find for my particular cards)

-Hard Tubing: EKWB 16mm (8 rods of tubing for practice and install)

-Hard Tube Fittings: EKWB various in 16mm (get lots of 90 degree and male/male along with female/female connectors. Figure out what you want then add 50% more!!!)

-Soft Tubing: Alphacool 10mm 16mm (One was enough for drainage in back and out of sight)

-Soft Tube Fittings: Alphacool 1 box in same size of tubing (make sure on soft tubing fittings that you have same ID and OD on diameter to meet tubing size. Best to order fittings and soft tubing from same manufacturer!)

-General fittings: Get ball valve fittings for each loop you want to drain. This literally drives the whole loop design. Start with where you're going to drain first then design loop!!!)

-Coolant: EKWB CryoFuel in Solid Purple and Fire Orange (debating on going with Clear in the future)

-Temp Sensors: (2) Alphacool thermal sensors in G1/4 fittings. (These are in female/female and can fit anywhere in loop between two regular fittings. I put mine at the drainage T valve prior to rads)

Following are just few pics of the build with some description.

qqAORsQl.jpg

zy2V9Dkl.jpg

VjB8Zizl.jpg

Pointing out second pump location. Due to grommets and Case mobo back plate design i was untable to "screw" in all four points. However, I drilled 2 holes, upper right and lower left, and used zip ties to tie pumps to casing. Works great.

QC8cVOXl.jpg

YGyYKXul.jpg

Pump are installed in front. Back is still a mess for wires but coming together. It will get a lot worse as I progress with the build. By this time i've already decided to run the soft tubing drains through the HDD storage area (since I won't use HDD anyways).

BZdG1usl.jpg

JzxsWTyl.jpg

This was my single loop configuration that tied in CPU and GPUs. See the wiring is getting worse! Also note that I planned to leave the front right rad and fan available for the 2nd system. At this point I still haven't made up my mind.

nAqhouul.jpg

TFbDYJUl.jpg

Now have idea of what i'm doing and converted to 2 loops. The idea is that should I go with 2 systems I can adjust easily.

XDtnqzsl.jpg

VFIakZEl.jpg

BgAObO6l.jpg

A9wVs0Xl.jpg

I'm not 100% on the coolant colors but under light they look much better. Still debating of going to clear.

Here is the final build pic!

KtMixjIl.jpg

If I continue with 2nd system I'll provide an update.

Archived