Corsair Community

Help! I think this update bricked my k70 rgb!

I installed the latest update first, then went to update to firmware, and it failed before the end. Now it says that the status is malfunctioning and it won't work at all (will not register keypresses and stays with stock lighting). I have tried unplugging and uninstalling/reinstalling the software, which works fine. CUE and the system detect the keyboard. But the status stays malfunctioning and it remains unresponsive. Doing a system restore now.

What should I do? Help, please!

Edit: System restore did nothing. Checked the device manager and there are no conflicts from past keyboards. I am in USB 3.0 and have tried to reinstall the firmware update on every bios switch setting and have tried to let it sit in BIOS mode before turning it back. I am at a loss. Really hoping I don't have to send it in for an RMA.

Hiya!

so without CUE it works fine?

Does it crash when it comes in contact with CUE?

or like shortly after?

are your motherboard drivers up to date...?

it may also help if you listed your system specs D:

Hiya!

so without CUE it works fine?

Does it crash when it comes in contact with CUE?

or like shortly after?

are your motherboard drivers up to date...?

it may also help if you listed your system specs D:

Hi, thanks for the response. No, the firmware update failed (not sure what percentage but it was more than halfway) and then the keyboard reset to completely stock lighting and became unresponsive in Window.

It did work when I pressed enter from the boot menu; however, after that point it becomes unresponsive to keypresses. I can still switch it to BIOS mode and have the light blink but that's it. Windows and CUE detects it. On the device tab, it says that the firmware version and bootloader are question marks and that the status is "malfunction".

Aww!

If you can't get it out of a malfunctioned state you may need Corsair's support as zheren suggested.

I assume you're running the latest cue, i believe it's not possible to update/downgrade The firmware when the KB is malfunctioning...!

Or ar least experience thaught me so.

Sorry kind of running out of ideas here :c.

ok I was able to fix this firmware update issue.

1. Make sure that if you use USB 3, use Intel port and not 3rd party vendor like ASmedia.

2. Go to your Corsair installation folder in program files

3. Right click on the Corsair folder and select Properties

4. Then select the Security tab

5. Click on Edit button

6. Make sure that Users and also TrustedInstaller has full control

7. Restart CUE and update firmware.

try that see if it works

I went through this same issue updating CUE and then the firmware. After uninstalling CUE, even other keyboards were not being detected so I think CUE screws directly with the USB drivers. Anyway, I resolved this by rebooting using my old keyboard, then once I fully rebooted, switched back to corsair's keyboard, reinstalled CUE, and updated the firmware from CUE. If CUE doesn't detect your keyboard, unplug and replug.

Thanks James! I contacted support and was able to get instructions to manually update sent over to me. It turned out not to be necessary! The first suggestion was to try to update the firmware using another computer, which I hadn't tried because I was under the impression that the firmware was stored on the keyboard itself -- which it may be -- and that if it was corrupted, a different PC would make no difference.

As it turns out, updating wasn't even necessary. Simply connecting the keyboard to another PC and getting to the point of selecting the layout in CUE fixed the problem! Not sure what it was, but it popped to the rainbow display and the status returned to "Works normally" with firmware version 1.20 listed as the current version! I connected it back to my main PC and it's working well again too. I'm had the flickering issue, so I disabled my ripple effect until it's worked out, but overall I am in working order! :-D

Archived