Corsair Community

what is "ganged" vs "unganged"

Derrekeva

One question i am asked in the bios is if I want the memory ganged or unganged ...What do I check with this....

memory-- twin 2x2048-8500C5D (4 sticks in all for a total of 4gb)

motherboard-- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5

processor AMD AM2+ quad (Phenom)

Windows Vista 32bit

I also do know all the specs to set my RAM except for voltage (2.1) and Dram speed 800 Mhrtz

Please help

derreke

The Phenom has two memory controllers on the CPU. Ganged is setting both memory controllers to work together which allows data (that is being used by all cores) to await on the queue until they are accessed. Unganging means that the two controllers work independently. This allows them to work asynchronously with reference to individual clocks with their one or two Dimms. I would set your Quad Core to unganged.

I would set the DRAM to 800Mhz with 4-4-4-12 as you are populating all four DRAM slots with 1066Mhz DRAM. This will bring you a better stability with that system.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this up again as i know it was a little while ago now, but i have just one question about ganged vs unganged!

- Just wondering is it better to have them ganged so that they are working together or is it more efficient to ahve them working on their own??

I'm assuming that ganged is better as 2 working together should be better than 2 working apart but i was just looking for clarification :)

Many Thanks

Archived