Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-E and TWIN2x2048-6400C4D

am1202

I have a Asus P5N32-E and purchased 2 TWIN2x2048-6400C4D for a total of 4Gb. The system will boot fine when only 2Gb are in the system (it does not matter which channel or 1 in each channel) but when all 4 memory boards are in, the system freezes during boot and won't get to a point where I can get into the BIOS, unless I set the MHz to 677 from 800.

With 2Gb and 800MHz, it boots with SLI turned off it shows 5-5-5-18 2T, with SLI turned on 4-4-4-12 1T and I can not get the system to use 2T (when I set it in the BIOS it fails to post, if I'm doing this correctly).

With 2Gb and 667MHz, it boots with SLI turned on it shows 4-4-4-10 1T.

With 4Gb and 667Mhz, it boots with SLI turned on it shows 4-4-4-12 1T.

With 4Gb and 800MHz, it fails to load the BIOS and at times will not even start (components turn on but the BIOS does not load).

I have tried running at 2.1v and 2.2v and that has no effect.

Any suggestions are appreciated. At this point I'm looking at 2Gb at 800MHz or 4Gbs at 667Mhz and not what I purchased, 4Gb at 800Mhz.

Thanks,

am1202

• Corsair Employee

Please view the specs for the P5N32 SLI: Dual-channel DDR2 800(OC) /667/533

DDR-2 800(OC). Which means Asus does not guarantee 800MHZ natively and needs to be OC to reach 800MHZ. This chipset was designed for DDR Frequency 667MHZ. Anything Beyond 800MHZ is overclocking.

Thanks for the response.

I tried with no luck. I also tried 5-5-5-15 2t and 5-5-5-18 2t, which were both mention on the product pdf document with no luck. Perhaps I am missunderstanding the Memory Timing Settings in the BIOS. Below is how I set it up.

tCL=4

tRCD=4

tRP=4

tRAS=12

Command Per Clock=2 clock

**Advanced Memory Settings**

tRRD=Auto

tRC=Auto

tWR=Auto

tWTR=Auto

tREF=Auto

tRD=Auto

tRFC=Auto

Async Latency=Auto

Thanks!

I'm following this thread closely, as I've prettty much the same setup and have run into similar problems. Right now I think I've got things stable at 800mhz 5 5 5 18 2T 1.9v, as I can successfully run memest for multiple passes, and Orthos for several hours. I'm virtually certain that this memory will run at 4 4 4 12, once I figure out the magic combo of BIOS settings, so far when I try, I either get a memtest failure within the first three or four test cycles (the first cycle always completes error free), or Othos blend locks up the computer after a few minutes of run time.

More later... I'm at my office now, and don't have access to the computer in question.

Crow

Thanks for the response.

I tried with no luck. I also tried 5-5-5-15 2t and 5-5-5-18 2t, which were both mention on the product pdf document with no luck. Perhaps I am missunderstanding the Memory Timing Settings in the BIOS. Below is how I set it up.

tCL=4

tRCD=4

tRP=4

tRAS=12

Command Per Clock=2 clock

**Advanced Memory Settings**

tRRD=Auto

tRC=Auto

tWR=Auto

tWTR=Auto

tREF=Auto

tRD=Auto

tRFC=Auto

Async Latency=Auto

Thanks!

Are you saying that you are failing with 2 DIMMs or with 4 DIMMs using these settings?

You may not be able to run 4 DIMMs at 800mhz on that MOBO as this is 2x the load on the chipset as opposed to 2 DIMMs. However, it is so new, we have not had 1 in the lab yet to test for sure. Do you have the latest bios loaded?

If you can run both pairs of DIMMs at 800mhz seperately but not together, I don't think the memory is the issue. If you can run 4 DIMMs at 667mhz, you may want to try to start there and clock slowly up and see if you can find your max stable OC.

I have not seen the bios on that MOBO yet. Can you please list all of your bios settings that relate to the CPU, RAM, and voltages.

I am thinking of purchasing this motherboard and ram combination. However I see many corsair models available. Is this model the best for this board?

I appologize, I do not want to take this post off subject but this is the only post regarding this new motherboard.

For example would Corsair Dominator Series TWIN2X2048-8500C5D run in this board??? I also see:

ddr-800

ddr-900

ddr-1000

ddr-1066

Would the Nvidia 680i run any of these modules??? There is no info on this motherboard yet as to what corsair modules are compatible.

Thank you.

This MB is just too new as I dont have any test Data on it as of yet! But with four modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at 667 Mhz, but to be sure its not a failing module I would test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

The memory tested fine, and I finally just gave up on the mobo and returned it. Thanks for all the help.

Hi Guys,

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I'm having similar instability issues with this same hardware config. Just bought the P5N32-E SLI, with 2 matched pairs of Twin2X2048-6400C. I flashed mobo bios to version 0405, which just released Dec 7, 2006.

I can get through the POST on "auto" settings, however when WinXP setup starts copying files after formatting hd, I get random freezups and messages saying certain files cannot be read. It's never the same file either. I then configured BIOS to use 2.1V as well as manually configured latency settings, but still no luck. There are a bunch of other advanced settings I haven't played with, and I haven't tried using the 667 frequency (since I have 4 sticks).

At this point, I need to run memtest to make sure the memory is good. I'm not giving up just yet, but wanted to post here in case others are having the same problem. Will post my test results later.

** EDIT **

Well, 11 minutes and 42 seconds into Memtest, both pairs of DIMMS installed, and the system appears to have frozen up on the first pass... Gonna try testing one pair at a time.

** EDIT #2 **

Both sets of matched pairs independently passed Memtest over muliple runs. Interestingly, I tried both pairs together one last time, and after Memtest froze again, the heatsinks were noticibly hot to the touch compared to one pair opering alone. I searched the Asus forums and found a few posts about issues with 4Gb of memory on different models of the P5N32 board, so not sure how much more I should do. I'll probably try changing fsb from 1066 to 800 using the "Linked" option to make the memory frequency 667... although since the mobo was just released, one would hope a future bios update would help stabilize things. I can also confirm am1202's original post that with 2Gb and 800MHz, it boots with SLI turned off and shows 5-5-5-18 2T during POST; however I was able to manually set bios to 4-4-4-12 2T with 2Gb 800Mhz and pass Memtest successfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I've got the same board, same 4GB of memory, same problem.

Individually every stick of RAM tests good. (Memtest 3.2)

When all four are installed, one pass will churn up between 200 and 400 errors.

There is a BIOS update available from Asus that helped a little bit. It did not help completely.

Here's my question: Most of the errors are from very very small addresses (< 8 MB) or from addresses that are ABOVE my maximum installed memory (ex. 4854 MB). What's going on? Does the motherboard join the system memory with the memory on the graphics card? (my graphics card has 768 MB of ram, which adds up nicely to the number used as an example above.) Does this mean I can ignore these errors and use my RAM like this? The GDDR3 RAM probably has a completely different layout than the system RAM, which might confuse the crap out of memtest.

Anyway, TIA.

The problem is clearly the motherboard and thus the ASUS website forum might find more help for this issue as very likely people with the same hardware as you are having the same issue and are looking for help there.

To answer your question with regards to the video card memory. Yes, the system addresses the system memory and then addresses the video memory. It does not know the difference between system and video memory. The address is all that matters. The memory controller is told where the addresses belong (on the pci bus) and transfers the data subsequently to the addresses.

Hmm i have similar problems.

Just put together a Asus p5n32-E SLI, C2D 6600 and 2x 1024 mb Corsair 6400C4. Newest bios etc.

Tried every solution in this thread. It evades me even more why it can be so unstable at very slow timmings :sigh!: At least it shuld be able to run slow?!?

I see alot of users guessing but no official wisdom/fixes from Corsair or Asus. Is this beeing fixed or slowly put to rest? Wuld be nice to return all the new unworking hardware instead of fighting with it all christmas ...

Christopher /Denmark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Many of the MB reports have been posted with this chipset, and I think the testing is still in progress on this MB, it takes time to complete the testing because there are more then just this model to be tested. But I would expect it with in a few weeks.

Archived