Corsair Community

Achieving Higher Cache Clock With Transmitter CLK De-emphasis

What cache & memory ratio are at right now?

Usually you don't have to mess with those settings yourself, but they might help vs boot-problems at higher cache ratios (1.55 is ok for 4.2GHz uncore).

I'd like to achieve parity with my Core clock, so 4.5Ghz each.

When I started to raise the Cache clock, after 4.2Ghz it doesn't matter how much voltage I give the cache, it just won't remain stable or boot.

A kind soul pointed me towards an overclocking guide, but it's more geared towards LN2 cooling, where they make a big fuss about talking about the 'cold bug'. In the guide, they say the upper limit for Transmitter CLK De-emphasis should be 1.55db, because of cold bugs. (Again assuming this is LN2 cooling related)

great topic

I was hoping to get a bit more information about what are 'safe' or 'normal' ranges for the Transmitter CLK De-emphasis. No idea what ranges are acceptable. Considering the guide I have is for LN2 cooling, it's obsession with avoiding the 'cold bug' is not really an issue for me, and it was the forewarning with using values above 1.55db (which is what I'm at currently).

I guess I'll experiment and let you fine people know whether or not I managed to get parity with my core clock.

Finally! Parity with Core & Cache clock works!

I simply bumped the TCDE value to 1.6db, I was finally able to boot up at 4.5Ghz Cache clock. I do have to fiddle with the voltages to make it 100% stable for stress tests, but being able to boot is definitely a step in the right direction! :)

So if you aren't running on LN2 you can use that value to give yourself more headroom for Cache OC. Take note that this value does empede on your Core Clock OC headroom. So if you reach a temperature limit with your core clock, there is a good chance you can increase the TCDE without losing anything. But if your Core clock is limited by your system stability period, then you shouldn't increase TCDE as that will make it even less stable.

Hope this helps, I wish I understand more of each of the numerous settings and what impact they have. So much to learn.

Ok, small update.

After doing some tests with TCDE value without pushing my cache clock above 4.2, I saw that at 1.64db I wasn't getting any hangs. So switched to tweaking the cache, put it at 4.5Ghz, with 1.375 voltage And... seems like it's holding!

Managed to run Firestrike without any issues, and a few short AIDA64 tests. Tomorrow I'll try out even higher TCDE values and see where the threshold lies for having the core clock at 4.5Ghz.

So more benchmarks, more tests.

So out of the blue, I went to have a look at the BIOS for my motherboard. And well, well, I'm like 3-4 versions behind with 2 of them focusing on system stability. Let's just say I didn't hesitate long to flash my board.

So after spending time trying to put my settings back to what they were before the flash. I noticed that the core is seemingly less voltage hungry now. Manged to lower it to 1.280 still stable.

But I started this thread about the darn Cache Clock. Right now I'm at 4.5Ghz @ 1.360V, with the TCDE @ 1.64db.

I think I finally nailed it down, now it's time for multiple stress tests and some gaming sessions to see if it holds.

Hope this will help fellow LGA2011V3 users who are trying to bump up their cache clock.

And more tests.

TCDE 1.63750

Vcore 1.330

Vcache 1.80

CPU X 45

CACHE X 45

So the above managed to survive a 1 hour AIDA64 system stability test. But the next day I was randomly gaming while watching a video and boom. Hang...

I think trying to shave off the TCDE wasn't a good idea but I'll keep it like this while raising the voltages if I hang again. If i reach something like 1.395 cache, i'll put it back to 1.64db. One thing for sure with the cache clock at 4.5ghz it seems impossible to get 4.6ghz Core Clock stable on my chip. :(

Here's a summary of various settings I tried up to date:

4.5Ghz Test #1

TCDE 1.64062

Vcore 1.280

Vcache 1.350

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #2

TCDE 1.64062

Vcore 1.285

Vcache 1.365

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #3

TCDE 1.64062

Vcore 1.290

Vcache 1.370

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #4

TCDE 1.64062

Vcore 1.300

Vcache 1.375

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #5

TCDE 1.64062

Vcore 1.315

Vcache 1.375

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #6

TCDE 1.65000

Vcore 1.315

Vcache 1.375

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #7

(1 Hour A64 Run)

TCDE 1.63750

TDDE 1.3

TODE 1.0

Vcore 1.330

Vcache 1.380

CPU X45

CCH X45

4.5Ghz Test #8

TCDE 1.63750

TDDE 1.3

TODE 1.0

Vcore 1.335

Vcache 1.385

CPU X45

CCH X45

If I can get 4.5 on both I'll call it a day.

Oh the rage, the unbounded rage of pushing OC to it's limits.

Seems that tugging too much on the TCDE is causing weird instability issues, so I'd probably have to understand all those countless Transmitter/Receiver settings in order to not only tweak that one and pray that the 'auto' settings adapt accordingly. (noticed that on each boot it's not always the same (the auto values for certain settings).

So I give up for now... If anybody knows more extensively or has some interesting links about these more complex settings please share I'd love to read up more on this. So that I'm not working the dark so much balancing values that might be off blancing others.

Vcore 1.325

Vcache 1.350

CPU X45

CCH X42 <--- :(

So, I've come with the hard conclusion that my chip is quite uncooperative with anything above 4.5Ghz. So I've started experimenting how the new X99-A BIOS 1801 stability patches had on voltage requirements.

And I'm a bit surprised at what I'm starting to notice. Right now I'm factoring out the Cache clock just to see voltages requirements for the Core Clock.

Right now I'm running at 4.5Ghz at 1.280v. Benchmarks and gaming stress tests are holding.

Considering how my chip is able to run at such low voltage at 4.5Ghz, it's a dead giveaway that it's pretty much it's limit. Luck of the bin I guess. Even at 1.395 or 1.420 core voltage couldn't manage to keep it stable at 4.6Ghz.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived