Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm a rooster illusion
Scoobaru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 900657
Scoobaru Reputation: 10
Sad Commander Mini

I just got this fan controller, pretty sure it's bad..but before I RMA, I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this:

-Fans plugged into commander mini will begin running all full speed randomly, regardless of my custom fan curve. I have to go re-apply my custom profile across all fans for it to go back the way it should be (temperatures are fine..there is no reason for fans to be running max).

-For no reason and completely randomly, "Fan #5" will appear showing 0 RPM...I only have 4 fans plugged into Commander Mini..For the first time today, "Temp #1" appeared as well, which I do not have any of the temp meters plugged in. The only way to make them go away is to reboot the computer, and then the original 4 fans are displayed.

These problems are super annoying. This is a brand new computer built from scratch, with a fresh copy of Windows 10. Corsair Link is fresh installed (obviously). All firmware appears to be up-to-date as well as Corsair Link.

Also, does my H115i need to be plugged into the Commander Mini, or CPU_FAN? I was reading somewhere else that it should be plugged into Commander Mini. I currently have USB Header for both H115i and Commander Mini plugged into mobo.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM
I'm a rooster illusion
Scoobaru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 900894
Scoobaru Reputation: 10

Looks like I was able to solve my issues..so far at least. I received these steps from support, hopefully this helps someone with the same problem(s) I had. Honestly I should have tried this before posting, or even submitting a ticket, but it was a brand new PC and fresh Windows.

1 - Uninstall the Corsair Link software and Link USB dongle, and Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device through Windows Control Panel (Restart later for all programs)

2 - Hold the windows key and press "R" to open the windows run command

3 - Type in %APPDATA%

4 - Delete the Corsair Folder (backup any settings or profiles if you wish by saving it somewhere else)

5 - (Optional step) Run a registry cleaning software such as CCleaner (Run Registry Scan and fix issues - Link below): https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

6 - Restart your system

7 - Install the Corsair Link software. Please be sure to extract the zip file before running the installer.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 AM
doakwolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901428
doakwolf Reputation: 10
Sad Commander Mini issue

I'm having the same problem as you describe where fans just randomly start running at 100%. I just don't understand how it happens. I also built a new PC, installed CL, plugged in my new Commander Mini. Setup profiles and BAM 1 of 2 front intake fans starts spinning at 2000rpm out of no where. Doing a clean un/reinstall seems logical but I don't see why it would be required for a newly setup PC and OS like ours?

Weird. Guess I'll try the same though.

Example:

This thing has a mind of its own.

As soon as I hit that apply button again (without changing anything) the fan drops back to ~750rpm as it should be.

This is on a clean install of Win10 Pro with no prior Corsair software ever installed.

Last edited by Wired; 05-03-2017 at 01:36 AM. Reason: split / merged thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 AM
doakwolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901430

In the picture, intake 1 and 2 are configured the same. So even if it were a sensor issue, or a spike in CPU temp, why only the 1st intake, not both?

Oh well, I'll go ahead now and do a clean reinstall and see what happens. Thanks for the info in your second post mate.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 AM
doakwolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901443

Well, I did a clean reinstall and all seemed OK at first.

Except I just finished a gaming session and noticed the fans haven't eased up... Check this out.

Clearly the CL software is failing to realise the core temps have dropped?

I'm ready to return this POS.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 AM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901444
pip_jones Reputation: 31

Before you send it back. Stop using Corsair Link and all other monitoring software.

Install SIV, a user guide is here:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=821198

With this tool you will be able to determine if your hardware is faulty.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:27 AM
doakwolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901586

Thanks for the idea.

Forgive my ignorance, but is SIV an alternate software to use to control the Commander Mini?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 AM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901612
Exclamation Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakwolf View Post
Thanks for the idea.

Forgive my ignorance, but is SIV an alternate software to use to control the Commander Mini?
Yes it is. Controlling the Commander mini is ONE of the many things it does well. The author is also active on this forum.

Please, before you begin, you must read and digest this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140665

I appreciate that there is a lot of information in there, but, it will save you time in the long run.

1. Read above thread
2. Digest
3. Download and read the previously mentioned PDF.
4. Test yourself
5. Come back and ask questions once you have done 1, 2, 3 & 4. I doubt anyone will help you unless you do this first.

It is well worth the investment of your time.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 AM
doakwolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901614

Thanks for this, Pip. I will make some time to read through it :)

Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM
pip_jones's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901621

Quote:
No worries ...

Last edited by pip_jones; 05-02-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair CJ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901665
Corsair CJ Reputation: 42
Exclamation Don't plug H115i into Commander Mini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobaru View Post
I just got this fan controller, pretty sure it's bad..but before I RMA, I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this:

-Fans plugged into commander mini will begin running all full speed randomly, regardless of my custom fan curve. I have to go re-apply my custom profile across all fans for it to go back the way it should be (temperatures are fine..there is no reason for fans to be running max).

-For no reason and completely randomly, "Fan #5" will appear showing 0 RPM...I only have 4 fans plugged into Commander Mini..For the first time today, "Temp #1" appeared as well, which I do not have any of the temp meters plugged in. The only way to make them go away is to reboot the computer, and then the original 4 fans are displayed.

These problems are super annoying. This is a brand new computer built from scratch, with a fresh copy of Windows 10. Corsair Link is fresh installed (obviously). All firmware appears to be up-to-date as well as Corsair Link.

Also, does my H115i need to be plugged into the Commander Mini, or CPU_FAN? I was reading somewhere else that it should be plugged into Commander Mini. I currently have USB Header for both H115i and Commander Mini plugged into mobo.

Thanks in advance!
Hey OP, try connecting the H115i directly to an available CPU_Fan/AIO_Pump header on your motherboard. The current version of the H115i draws power through the 3-pin cable coming out of the pump. Set whichever header you plug the H115i into to 100% to ensure that the H115i is getting all the power it needs for its pump and any connected fans.

For the Commander Mini issues, I see some good suggestions to explore, if you continue to have problems, please reach out to our support team.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901667
red-ray Reputation: 81
Sigh.. The Asetek H115i is SATA powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair CJ View Post
Hey OP, try connecting the H115i directly to an available CPU_Fan/AIO_Pump header on your motherboard. The current version of the H115i draws power through the 3-pin cable coming out of the pump. Set whichever header you plug the H115i into to 100% to ensure that the H115i is getting all the power it needs for its pump and any connected fans.
This is incorrect . The Asetek H115i is SATA powered, it must be as it can supply 2.0 amps to the fans. What you have specified pertains to the H100iV2 + H80iV2.

After my initial post I half recalled the manual is incorrect. Looking at http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsa.../h115i_qsg.pdf it says to do as you specified, but this is incorrect and the manual needs to be corrected. I suspect the H110iGTX manual is also incorrect and you should check.

You may find my http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661 thread helpful and I still feel Corsair should make it sticky.

Last edited by red-ray; 05-02-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: The manual is incorrect !

Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair CJ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901674
Corsair CJ Reputation: 42
Thumbs up Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
This is incorrect . The Asetek H115i is SATA powered, it must be as it can supply 2.0 amps to the fans. What you have specified pertains to the H100iV2 + H80iV2.

After my initial post I half recalled the manual is incorrect. Looking at http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsa.../h115i_qsg.pdf it says to do as you specified, but this is incorrect and the manual needs to be corrected. I suspect the H110iGTX manual is also incorrect and you should check.

You may find my http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661 thread helpful and I still feel Corsair should make it sticky.
I just grabbed an H115i and can confirm that it is SATA powered. Interesting find, and thanks for pointing that out. I'll give the team a headsup. Edit: Team has been notified and is aware.

Last edited by Corsair CJ; 05-02-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Update

Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901725
Idea Check the H100iV2 + H80iV2 + H100iGTX + H80iGT manuals

Quote:
I just grabbed an H115i and can confirm that it is SATA powered. Interesting find, and thanks for pointing that out. I'll give the team a headsup. Edit: Team has been notified and is aware.
I feel I should mention that the last the I looked the at H100iV2 + H80iV2 + H100iGTX + H80iGT manuals I could not see any information about needing to disable fan control in the BIOS so the cooler get's the constant +12 volts it needs.

I must have posted about needing to do this many tens of times and feel it would be good if you looked into this.

I further feel a sticky thread in the Cooling section about both these topics would be sensible.

Last edited by red-ray; 05-03-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901683
Confused Have I got this correct?

Quote:
Quote:
For the Commander Mini issues, I see some good suggestions to explore
Have I got this correct "You think the best solution is for doakwolf to use SIV"?

Quote:
if you continue to have problems, please reach out to our support team.
I advise you to read http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=889520 and then not waste any time in contacting the Corsair Support team.

I suspect the advise from pip will result in a more reliable solution provided you do as he specified. You may wish to have a read of http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137428 + http://www.overclock.net/products/co...i/reviews/7428.

If Corsair addressed the CLCC firmware issues I itemised in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=896054 I could further improve SIV.