Corsair Community

Problem with dual cpu and h80i

rarzer

Hi there,

I just purchased an Asus Z10PE-D8 WS dual xeon motherboard. I have two h80i coolers but I only find a single USB 2 Head in the MOBO. Is there any workaround to connect both coolers? Is there anything like a USB 3 head to USB 2 head adaptor? Thanks in advance!

I think it's easy enough to move the pins so both use the same header. This is what I did just keep the same colour order on both sides. Another option is an NZXT IU01 USB Expansion or an Internal USB Hub.

The best option is the CLCP which contains a USB hub, so both coolers can be connected via this USB hub.

I now have 2 x CLCP so no longed need to use my NZXT IU01 :biggrin:.

Thanks very much red-ray. So did you aligned the cables by colors using both rows, right? If so, what about the last black one? I mean, there are 9 holes instead of 10. Should I 'tie' these last two cables together? Thanks again

There is a 5th hole that is blanked, but the 5th pin fitted into it fine. I used a needle to release the pins, just be gentle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28569&stc=1&d=1492015809

SIV [uSB Bus] screen shot showing my 2 x CLCP/CLCH + 1 X CLNP. Note the 2nd CLCP + CLNP are connected via the USB Hub of 1st CLCP.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29873&stc=1&d=1497428255

BTW the NZXT IU01 does not need to be powered provided all the devices connected use <= 500mA in total, though I would power it for > 400mA. Mine is as below and is not powered. SIV reports the two NZXT IU01 hubs as powered as this is what the hardware incorrectly reports.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25477&stc=1&d=1464537601

1075213892_ShouldhavegonetoSpecsavers.png.8e13ff55e1a50d0ca034bf34e782bb63.png

900014148_USBBus-2xCLCP1xCLNP1xCLCC.thumb.png.7e6dd304205632ae1036e6d0fc0f53bc.png

Great. Just did it that way, nothing exploded so far :)

I got these CPU's. I work on heavy 3D rendering and hopefully this machine will make my life easier. I'm a lifetime mac user and quite disappointed I have no option anymore for dual xeons, so here I am building this little big PC... Will try your software as soon as I get windows installed, looking good!

Cheers!

Some screenshots here:

http://i60.tinypic.com/20pd1rs.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/10epnk1.jpg

So far Corsair Link is running well except for temps. For a second it will show correctly but then a blinking red will show at 0,0 Celcius. Anyways I found it's not just me having this issue with version 2.7.5361

So far Corsair Link is running well except for temps. For a second it will show correctly but then a blinking red will show at 0,0 Celcius. Anyways I found it's not just me having this issue with version 2.7.5361

Thank you for the screen shots. If you exit CL and then run SIV it should display the CL temperatures and fan/pump speeds correctly. You need to exit CL as it fails to use the Global\Access_CorsairLink mutex to interlock access.

Have you done the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled kluge? You can use the [Link Devices] panel to set it to zero (uncheck the box) and then press [Restart] to restart the device for both H80is.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thought about starting a new thread (as this one seemed to come to a conclusion a long time ago) but the content is so relevant I've decided to post here. Hope that doesn't upset anyone.

I have 2 x NZXT IU01 and wish they had come with 5 internal headers rather than 3 internal headers and 2 'external' USB ports.

I'm aware that I could attempt to move pins as described by Red-Ray, but I also wonder if I could use an Akasa USB Internal to External Extension Cable. I'm pretty certain that I can but would be interested to hear if anyone has done so. If so, this thread might prove useful to others as a further option for increasing the number of devices you can handle that require internal USB header ports beyond the 3 offered by the IU01 but without moving pins.

There really should be a sticky thread about how to resolve not enough internal USB headers, but I suspect Corsair will not endorse moving pins.

What you propose does work, though I have a dual versions of such cables and use them to connect my IU01 and then 2 x Corsair Link USB Dongle to the IU01! I also have 8 devices connected to the IU01 as I also moved pins.

• 4 months later...
problem is getting the NZXT in Australia....its expensive to get from US but may end up doing that.........splicing wires and connections together seems a good idea but when you have ten thumbs its not that easy.............need a nice clear guide on how to do this

splicing wires and connections together seems a good idea but when you have ten thumbs its not that easy

Does this help?

1. The wires do not need to be spliced.
  2. You just need to release the five pins from one header connector and push them into the other one.
  3. To release them use a needle to slightly lift the plastic holding clip.
  4. Gently pull the wire to extract the pin.
  5. Repeat this for all five
  6. Insert them into the other USB header connector
  7. Use the same colour order.
  8. It should end up looking like the one in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759634

so basically one piggy backs on the other ?

edit: anyway......bit my tongue and went to ebay and ordered one

Just wonder if using the NZXT expansion card would I need external power as it will be just for the Corsair PSU and 115 cooler

1. so basically one piggy backs on the other ?
  2. edit: anyway......bit my tongue and went to ebay and ordered one
  3. Just wonder if using the NZXT expansion card would I need external power as it will be just for the Corsair PSU and 115 cooler

1. No, the USB header connector has two rows of five holes and only one row is initially in use. Each USB header is for two USB devices.
  2. OK
  3. I suspect not as each will need <= 100mA. I would look at the SIV [uSB Bus] panel to confirm this.

BTW the NZXT IU01 does not need to be powered provided all the devices connected use <= 500mA in total, though I would power it for > 400mA. Mine is as below and is not powered. SIV reports the two NZXT IU01 hubs as powered as this is what the hardware incorrectly reports.

ok....not having one to look at I didnt realise. I think I have it now...when you have the 2 external usb slots they run into the one connection that plugs into the board......and if you cut them open you would see they go down separate sides of the plug

so I could have put the PSU down one side and the water cooler down the other side and then plugged it in..........+

ok, thanks for the help

Just surprised that noone made up a short and relatively cheapo splitter expansion USB2 onboard header....something that goes into onboard and splits into 2 USB2 about 20mm above......I guess no money in it

Just surprised that no one made up a short and relatively cheapo splitter expansion USB2 onboard header.

You can get them but they cause more problems than they solve. Both the PSU + cooler USB cables usually use the top row of so when you use a Y cable both end up connected to the top row rather than one to the top and one to the bottom.

To my thinking moving the pins is trivial.

• 7 months later...

i'm getting ready to start a new build, and this thread just answered my biggest question.

sweet.

<edit>

to clarify my vague post ... i am starting a build with the components listed in my specs (as soon as i get a am4 bracket ...)

my motherboard of choice has 2 usb2 headers, and a usb3 header.

having 3 components that require motherboard headers in my build, i was worried about needing to run a cable external (ewww) or run an internal splitter. I was unsure if the Corsair motherboard cables were accessing both channels on the header or just one.

now that i know i can stack pins in a single header for one of them, no worries. i'm not a stranger to splicing and hacking connectors, like the old school 7v trick, or my current push/pull air cooler with identical 92mm PWM fans spliced into one header.

but i kind of splurged on this build, to get it as clean as possible. nice to know that i won't need an extra splitter dangling around back in the case.

• 1 month later...
That is one blurry photo of the connector! I had the same problem and ordered the NZXT hub, should be in Friday. Personal opinion, Corsair should handle this better! I am sure there are many enthusiasts out there that want to monitor more than one Corsair unit in LINK. It is little things like this that make a product exceptional!

Just want to say a big thank you for the great tip on the USB 2.0 header. Last night, I manage to follow the instructions and carefully pull the cables out of one connector and moved to the other. In my case, there were 5 pins in one cable and 4 in the other. So I'm moved the 4 pins to the other one. I'm glad I chose Corsair for the cooler, power supply, fans and memory. Corsair Link sees all Plus my ASUS m/b and Samsung M.2 drive.

:D:

Archived