Corsair Community

How to connect SSD to Computer ?

SSDuser

I bought SSD yesterday. Since i am novice i had to read around just to connect it. I hooked a sata cable from the SSD to the motherboard. And hooked the SSd into a sata power cable from the powersupply cables.

Then i started the computer. But then this pre boot up think come up and i just have to turn it off and unplugg the ssd from the sata power cable. Then im fine, but cant find SSD.

Why does it all stop when im connecting the way i do ? What do i do wrong ?

Sorry for beeing novice.

make sure plugged into sata 1 on your mainboard as well and look through the forum its good advice and lot good people will help you

This seems to be different depending on what mainboard you are using. I have absolutly no clue if im using sata 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 9 on my mainboard for my discs, the performance is awsome anyways :)for some reason my two dics are found as "Sata 0" and "Sata 2" but looking at the connectors on the mainboard it looks like im using Sata 5 + 6 instead :P

make sure plugged into sata 1 on your mainboard as well and look through the forum its good advice and lot good people will help you

Its connected to Sata 1. I can see it in bios. But cant see it in Windows even tho i got the messege that the driver has been installed.

I wish i could just plug it in. Then start up and voila it was there.

Note: I must always manually push F8 then choose my old HDD to boot from when SSD is plugged. If not i just get some numbers up and must shut down.

I posted this problem the other day using a GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R motherboard. BIOS did see the Corsair X64 but Windows 7 didn't. Now I have installed a new motherboard ASUS|P7P55D PRO P55 RT and I'm having the same problem. BIOS sees the Corsair but Windows 7 does not. I have put the X64 on the first SATA port and my CDRom on the last port. Still Windows 7 does not see the X64. I am going to ship the X64 back to newegg unless someone knows of any other tricks to make the drive available to Windows 7.

Wait, did you do a quick format?

Go into control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer management

then click on Disk management, then look for your SSD and click on it once.

Right click on the Unpartitioned (bar with details on it but a black line over it) and select format, Make sure to click !!!!!Quick format!!!!! for Allocation Unit Size i think you put in 32 kilobytes (32KB)

EDIT: Sorry if this didn't help much, but sometimes people forget to do this, and the drive wont show up, it happened when i installed my 1TB drive :D

EDIT2: OOPS also forgot to give some help on the bios settings or whatever, but here i think i go!

Okay, Go into your BIOS and select the boot drive for permanent use (one with Windows) so you wont have to always hit F8, then you can boot up without always hitting F8.

Then when you manage to boot into windows, with SSD and everything connected, follow the instructions from my primary post (from top of post to the 32KB bytes thing)

Tell us how it all goes!

Drive is set as the first SATA device (1). The CDRom is set to the last (6). I just tested leading Vista and got the same result of no drive avaible. I have tried this in AHCP and IDE modes with the same result. Here is what the BIOS shows.

Device: Hard Disk

Vender: Corsair CMFSSD-64D1

Size: 64.0 GB

LBA Mode: Supported

Block Mode: Not Supported

PIO Mode: 4

Async DMA: MultiWord DMA-2

Ultra DMA: Ultra DMA-5

SMART Monitoring: Supported.

again, it's an Asus P7P55D Pro motherboard.

I have had the same issue with SSD drives. You need to initialize the drive. You may need do the following from another PC if you have no OS you can boot into with the drive connected.

Go to Control Panel then Device Manager. Right click on Disk Drives and click Scan For Hardware Changes. You should get prompted to initialize the drive once the scan is finished.

If that doesn't work right click on My Computer or Computer (depends on OS) and select Manage. From the left select Disk Management (under storage). You should see the drive there. Next right click on the drive and select format. It will ask you if you want to initialize the drive. Just make sure you do a quick format.

What am I doing wrong? I didn't have another system with all the connectors for the Corsair drive so this is what I did. Put a WD drive on the system and loaded Windows 7. Then connected the Corsair to SATA 5 and I do see the drive. Did a format on the Corsair. Removed the WD drive and loaded Win 7. But, again Windows doesn't see the drive. What I would like to do is Boot Windows 7 for the Corsair and keep the WD drive as my data drive. Any ideas on what I doing wrong?

Archived