Corsair Community

Problems Installing Vengeance Laptop Memory

HunterDX77M

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB bundle (CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9) to upgrade my laptop's memory (Asus K55A). As you've probably already guessed from the title, I'm having some problems installing the memory.

So here's what happened:

1) I opened up the case and popped my old RAM stick (that came with the laptop) out.

2) I popped the two 4GB sticks in

3) I closed the case and turned the computer on.

4) At first everything seemed to be fine. I got to the Asus logo screen, the "Windows is starting" screen, and then I got to the login page where it said "Please wait, Windows is configuring your device" or something very similar. After a short while of that, I got a BSoD.

5) While the BSoD was displaying, the monitor was flickering a bit (I don't know if that is important, but I'll just mention it for comprehensiveness).

6) I did a hard shutdown and started the laptop up again.

7) I decided to go into the BIOS first before Windows booted up and saw that the memory was approximately 8000 MB (which is what I was expecting).

8) I exited the BIOS and continued booting up. During the boot up the laptop shut itself off.

9) I turned it back on but this time, the monitor wouldn't turn on at all. I could hear the hard drive start up though.

10) I tried connecting an external monitor to the laptop to see if the laptop's monitor had died and the external monitor didn't show anything either during boot up.

11) I opened up the case and took one of the Vengeance sticks out, leaving one in. I turned the laptop on, but nothing came up on the monitor.

12) I took the second stick out and turned the laptop on and still nothing on the monitor. At this point, there were no memory sticks in the laptop at all so I was expecting a message telling me there was no RAM (similar to the kind you get when there's no HDD).

13) In a last ditch attempt, I put the original RAM stick back in and booted up just fine with no errors and I am typing this right now on the very laptop I am having an issue with.

I hope that was enough detail. So in your guys' opinion, what component(s) do you think are at fault here? What could I have been doing wrong? Should I try again or contact Corsair for assistance? Thanks in advance for any help!

(Yes, I made a back up last week!)

In case anyone has a problem similar to mine in the future:

I created a support ticket with Corsair and received a reply from customer service telling me that this RAM was not compatible with my processor, despite (1) using Corsair's Memory Finder and being guaranteed to be compatible with my system and (2) the fact that the product page for this memory specifically says it was designed for 2nd and 3rd generation Intel Core Processors.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-8gb-high-performance-sodimm-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx8gx3m2a1600c9

If you're interested, his exact response was "Your system needs a dual rank memory with low density memory chips." (I didn't know I was supposed to be on the look out for that, but oh well). The customer service reprsentative then directed me to purchase the CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 . . . which was a Mac memory upgrade. :sigh!:

To make a long story short, I returned the kit back to Amazon and will start looking elsewhere. See ya!

Archived