Corsair Community

Corsair RM750x coil whine?

RorHam

Hi all,

Im new here so if there is already a specific thread about this please point me to it.

New pc build which is running fine except for a noise from the PSU when under load. I suspect that it is coil whine but maybe sounds a little different to me, curious what you all think.

Below is the noise while running Cinebench

[ame=https://youtu.be/HrRYigc2Z_4]https://youtu.be/HrRYigc2Z_4[/ame]

Thanks for any advice.

I have been playing about with it and I removed the GPU from the pc altogether and worked from onboard graphics. While running Cinebench there is no buzzing what so ever.

So, does that mean that this specific GPU is causing the buzzing in the PSU or is it that the PSU is still to blame when on a higher load. The GPU is an old XFX 7950 DD from the previous build until the prices of new GPU's come down.

Has anyone seen the GPU being the cause of the PSU buzz like this and then replacing the GPU to the same or newer model fixing the issue?

Not sure if returning the PSU is really going to solve anything.

Thanks for any advice.

well,on my previous build this PSU was dead silent and cool-i7 7700k at 5,0ghz and aorus gaming 9 z270x.No coil whine from PSU or GPU.Than,I switched to x299 and i9 7900x on RVIE ,same GPU ,but that sound suddenly appeared.When I render at stock freq, my God,its like a dentist drill.CPU temps are fine,PC works fine,there is no VRM overheating ,there is no system instability but PSU temps in idle are around 40C,and under stress 48-49C-psu fan isn't noisy in my opinion ..I tried paper clip test with one fan,same sound. Question is,do I RMA it and pay +150eur on shipping and taxes on a paid 230eur PSU or should I just throw it in the bin and buy something better. Your PSU is a lot cheaper than mine,so if corsair center isn't close to you,sell it/cut your loses short and buy newer model of PSU .

The sound is now noticeable through the speakers on idle when the speaker volume is turned up. I contacted the retailer who will RMA it once a fault is found, they said coil whine is considered a fault so that is something.

I also contacted Corsair, I have an open ticket so will be interesting what they say. What way does an RMA through Corsair work? Do they ship replacement first or does the customer have to send faulty unit first?

Thanks

Rory

Corsair RMA have two options,first is to you to send the Faulty PSU to them,and than you will get new one sent back when they receive the faulty one. Other option is advanced RMA,where you pay in advance for your new PSU,and than they will send you new one before you send the faulty one(when they receive your old PSU they will refund your money).NOTE: Do not send them PSU back until you get your RMA approved.Also,you need to ask for standard or advanced RMA.You need to pay one way shipping,corsair pays returning new PSU and shipping(note:you will be charged customs+VAT taxes on new unit and shipping cost because you are importer of goods if corsair center is outside of your country).Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My second AX1200i failed last week. I purchased a CX750m from Maplins to test whether it was the PSU that was causing the problems: suddenly switching off, followed by bootloop cycles. Indeed, the temporary PSU solved that problem, however, I have been getting the exact same coil whine, on my Corsair GTX1080ti hydro when gaming. I know the CX750m is not built for gaming so, should I wait for Scan to send me a non-Corsair replacement for my AX1200i, or is it safe to use the CX750m with coil whine for a few days? I just hope the coil whine from the GPU goes away, it is very annoying.

Archived