Corsair Community

Looking for a new PSU and troubleshooting the old (TX650)

Fasauceome

I am planning a system upgrade soon, just got a 1080 and will be upgrading to Ryzen soon. I have a 380T as a case and was looking for some suggestions about what PSU would work best. I was thinking something platinum or titanium rated.

As for my current power supply, it has this odd issue. Every once in a while, it starts to tick. I've found that the tick doesn't correlate to fan speed, it just ticks at an interval of about once per half second, maybe every 3/4 of a second, at a very regular rate. It's not particularly loud but I'd like to make sure it's not representative of a bigger issue, as the PSU is getting on in years. I'd like to hopefully be able to donate the PSU to another build.

I am planning a system upgrade soon, just got a 1080 and will be upgrading to Ryzen soon. I have a 380T as a case and was looking for some suggestions about what PSU would work best. I was thinking something platinum or titanium rated.

As for my current power supply, it has this odd issue. Every once in a while, it starts to tick. I've found that the tick doesn't correlate to fan speed, it just ticks at an interval of about once per half second, maybe every 3/4 of a second, at a very regular rate. It's not particularly loud but I'd like to make sure it's not representative of a bigger issue, as the PSU is getting on in years. I'd like to hopefully be able to donate the PSU to another build.

Sounds like a relay or something could be causing it. At least that's what I would put money on as the cause but PSU design is not my forte and I am not sure if they have those. That said strange noises from a PSU are typically not a good sign and as you don't specify the age of the TX you have, safest action is to deep six it once you get the new one.

As for a recommendation, and I can't believe I am saying this, HX1200i seems to be rather well built with features that caused me to switch from Enermax for the first time in 20ish years. On the flip side Enermax makes some killer options if you want to go a different route.

As for a recommendation, and I can't believe I am saying this, HX1200i seems to be rather well built with features that caused me to switch from Enermax for the first time in 20ish years. On the flip side Enermax makes some killer options if you want to go a different route.

The HX1200i is certainly a serious piece of equipment, but it's rather large. The 380T is a Mini ITX case, and although it's a large one, it doesn't look like that would quite fit inside.

My apologies I missed the part about the case. What kind of hardware are you thinking of running?

And this time I know you are talking about a 1080 and a Ryzen. :P

Edited by Waukeen

My apologies I missed the part about the case. What kind of hardware are you thinking of running?

And this time I know you are talking about a 1080 and a Ryzen. :P

A Ryzen 9 3600X is what appeals to me most, for the mix of good single threaded and great multi threaded to aid with renders in Inventor. It'll be combined with some DDR4 3600.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/rmi-series-config/p/CP-9020082-NA#tab-tech-specs

https://www.enermaxusa.com/product.php?pid=91302721#!/MaxTytan%20800W/p/91302721

Those will fit nicely, and with that hardware gives you a bit of overhead so the PSU isn't working flat out keeping the fan(s) from running full speed all the time. 750w should be just fine as well but I wouldn't go below that personally.

Sounds like the PSU needs to be cleaned. Usually dust on the fan can make it more noisy etc.

More recent PSU modes are now 80 plus gold or better which will pay for themselves over time.

Sounds like the PSU needs to be cleaned. Usually dust on the fan can make it more noisy etc.

It's definitely not the fan, we loaded the PSU so that we could hear the fan and the clicking noise is not correlated with fan speed.