Corsair Community

New Here and have a setting question

notluzn

I know it's probably been asked a million times, but I need help with settings for my ram if possible. I have a ASRock B450M Steel Legend, AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, and Corsair 3200 CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 memory, but it's not showing up at 3200mhz in my bios even with XMP set. I hear that I have to adjust the CPU to Overclock.

Is this memory not good for the Ryzen 2600X? Thanks for any help..

Ok, I've been messing with the Bios and I think I figured it out to run faster. I turned the XMP settings off and the adjusted the DRAM settings to a lower 2600 mhz and it now reads 2600mhz on the benchmark.. Im guessing it will not read 3200 with the current bios.. I'm going to adjust a little higher and see what it does.

Wow, from 2133MHZ to 3000MHZ just by lowering the DRAM. So it's weird that DRAM set at 3200 will read 2133mhz and lowering to 3000mhz, it will read it.. I'm guessing it will not run at 3200.. Either way, 3000 is better than 2133. :)

• 1 month later...

There are many factors that can determine if you are able to reach certain memory speeds.

Note just to clarify your ram's actual frequency is 1/2 your stated ram speed selection. For example: DDR4-3200 = 1600MHz

Many people have issues trying to use XMP features and typically the workaround is to use AUTO (not XMP) and manually adjust frequency, voltage, and timings according to your ram XMP profile.

Do you know if your ram is single-rank or dual-rank?

Note ASRock publishes supported ram frequencies depending on the memory rank and configuration. It is possible to do better however keep in mind there are limitations depending on your particular configuration of motherboard, cpu , and ram.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#Specification

BIOS/UEFI updates can effect memory capabilities sometimes making compatibility better, sometimes worse. Generally speaking the trend has been toward improved compatibility since the original Ryzen launch.

Edited by A Computer Guy

There are many factors that can determine if you are able to reach certain memory speeds.

Note just to clarify your ram's actual frequency is 1/2 your stated ram speed selection. For example: DDR4-3200 = 1600MHz

Many people have issues trying to use XMP features and typically the workaround is to use AUTO (not XMP) and manually adjust frequency, voltage, and timings according to your ram XMP profile.

Do you know if your ram is single-rank or dual-rank?

Note ASRock publishes supported ram frequencies depending on the memory rank and configuration. It is possible to do better however keep in mind there are limitations depending on your particular configuration of motherboard, cpu , and ram.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#Specification

BIOS/UEFI updates can effect memory capabilities sometimes making compatibility better, sometimes worse. Generally speaking the trend has been toward improved compatibility since the original Ryzen launch.

I have the same set of ram I think 16gb Vegeance PRO rgb and running it on rog strix x470i motherboard with ryzen 3600x. As I enter bios to enable D.O.C.P the mobo just wouldnt post, I went in and increased the voltage to 1.4 and now its posting. Ive been reading 3600mhz and above is best for the ryzen 3000 cpus but Im new to memory overclocking.

Can you suggest the best way to set up my Ram settings?

Thank you

I have the same set of ram I think 16gb Vegeance PRO rgb and running it on rog strix x470i motherboard with ryzen 3600x. As I enter bios to enable D.O.C.P the mobo just wouldnt post, I went in and increased the voltage to 1.4 and now its posting. Ive been reading 3600mhz and above is best for the ryzen 3000 cpus but Im new to memory overclocking.

Can you suggest the best way to set up my Ram settings?

Thank you

Many people have issues with XMP (and DOCP) and typically the workaround seems to be to use AUTO and manually adjust frequency, voltage, and timings according to your ram XMP profile.

I would start with reading this article https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/ and trying to use DRAM Calculator for Ryzen to guide you to settings that might work.

Also I setup and keep a spreadsheet of my ram timings that calculates my ram adjustments in nanoseconds to help me in planning tests. Maybe overkill but I find it interesting and it's what I used before I knew about DRAM Calculator and a lot of other rules explained in the article above.

I don't really know about the "best way" for RAM overclocking but my process these days is basically to start with AUTO. Set DRAM voltage based on the XMP profile, then step up frequency one at a time and test with memtest86. Once I begin to run into problems I try to use DRAM Calculator, the article information above, and my spreadsheet to work around issues to see if I can get to the higher frequency with stability. Finally test more thoroughly for stability after I seem to hit a point where I can't make more improvements. If that works then that becomes my new daily setup.

My goals for overclocking is not so much trying to get the highest frequency and scores, but instead simply trying to get whatever untapped performance (lowest hanging fruit) my ram can offer for daily use (without too much trouble) and share with others on the forums.

This can take up quite a bit of time. For example since December 2018 I probably spent at least two weeks tuning my 1st memory kit and at least 4 weeks tuning the memory kit I use now. Since I started I had multiple BIOS/UEFI updates, and 2 CPU's, and two memory kits, so this has been my new hobby for a short while now.