Corsair Community

worst 4770k ever

So grabbed a 4770k and z97-a off my buddy. Total piece of junk. Delidded only does 4.4ghz at 1.4v so far lol. With the delid tho I tested at my max before delid 1.25v 4.2ghz. Max temp before delid was 89°C and after delid was 71°C. So I'm very happy with that. With delid at 4.4ghz 1.4v max temps is 90°C. Pretty sure there isn't a 4770k in the world as bad as this one. Think i might build a little cpu only water loop for this rig. This cpu is going to max out on water at 4.5ghz tho. Imo 4.5ghz is minimum I'll accept lol. I'm ocd about my rigs. I'll post some screenshots of before and after delid later tonight for you guys. Used the vise method. Worked pretty well.

Any of you guys have a DC i7 in hand yet? I've tried just about every possible settings combo in the M6E bios but for the life of me can't get this thing stable at 5GHz. I can boot into Windows and do basic tasks all the way up to 5.1 but stability is just not there.

I'm not saying it's not a Very Good Chip@4.9 with Vengeance running 2600, just know it should be 5 stable.

The temps are great as 4.9 only needs 1.320 in bios and can run anything under the sun.

The board has soooo many options, I think I might be just missing something simple to gain that extra stability.

I'll post more in the Project Heat thread about this and my testing.

Prob just needs more voltage man. Every cpu has a wall. Mine is about 4.3 I get 4.3 at 1.31v then 4.4 needs 1.4. Well so far can prob go down a bit. Got threw 1 loop of linx with 4.5 at 1.4v so like 1.42 should be about stable. Most people can't surpass 4.2 on air like I couldn't. But that before delid lol. I think mine is the worst delidded that I've seen. As long as i can get 4.5 I'm satisfied. I don't care how much voltage it needs. It can melt right to the board for all i care lol.

The delid results are nice tho...

Prob just needs more voltage man. Every cpu has a wall. Mine is about 4.3 I get 4.3 at 1.31v then 4.4 needs 1.4. Well so far can prob go down a bit. Got threw 1 loop of linx with 4.5 at 1.4v so like 1.42 should be about stable. Most people can't surpass 4.2 on air like I couldn't. But that before delid lol. I think mine is the worst delidded that I've seen. As long as i can get 4.5 I'm satisfied. I don't care how much voltage it needs. It can melt right to the board for all i care lol.

The delid results are nice tho...

What temps were you getting before/after the delid? I didn't want to push past 1.41 to hit the magic number but since he has plans to sell it and go to Ivy-E we might just test the limit....lol

I said it in first post. 89 max before and 71 max after. Both tested at 4.2ghz 1.25v. Pretty sure delid will do nothing at all on 4790k as its suppose to have fixed the thermal paste issue of 4770k.

Edit: Oh u meant voltage wise. On water like you have I'd personally b fine with 1.45v 24/7.

Well guys looks like this is the best I could get out of the 4770K. 4.4ghz 1.39v. So sad. Thought I had it stable at 4.5ghz after bumping system agent voltage then tested with max memory instead of 8gb in linx and didnt even pass 1 run. Oh well. Onto memory clocking I guess.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ps3mmp.png

Here is the difference for delid:

before

http://i58.tinypic.com/dr7by9.png

delidded

http://i58.tinypic.com/2s84jky.png

P.S. if anyone is wondering why gflops are low in linx its because I was screwing around watching youtube videos and stuff during stress testing. If I just let it run I get about 129 gflops at 4.4ghz.

The more I read about 4770k's the more I'm glad I didn't fork out for one. I went for a budget 4670k instead and it hits 4.7ghz @ 1.33v :D: I could probably squeeze 4.8ghz @ 1.4v but I don't think the extra 100mhz is worth the extra volts. Plus I heard 1.4v is pushing it a bit...?

• 1 month later...
So haswell is so f'd up ! :evil: So currently running 4.5ghz @ 1.39v with uncore of 4.1ghz 1.25v. Had to ad +0.300v to System Agent voltage to get that stable. That gives me 1.2v which traditionally is the max for that setting. Man this chip is a piece of junk. Very weird behaviour. Even +0.290v on System Agent bsod in linx. +0.300v runs 10 runs of max ram usage in linx no problem at all. Should of stuck with ivy bridge. Thanks intel for overcomplicating the hell out of the overclocking on these things.

Archived