Corsair Community

New H115i RGB Install; Disconnect Issues, etc.

jeffk42

Good to see I'm not going insane. I just played around some with the lights in my new build and set up an Arc pattern on my fans and H115i Platinum. It seemed fine until I opened up Battle.Net and it started disconnecting every minute. Same thing happened when I downloaded USBDeview to find out what was disconnecting. I hadn't had the issue since I finished this build on Saturday so I wondered if something was failing!

Went back to color shift and I've not had any disconnects or anything since. I'll stick on this until an update is released to fix this.

• 4 weeks later...

Made an account just to say I'm also experiencing this problem.

USB disconnecting on startup and its the H115i Platinum causing it because as soon as iCUE loads, it does the sound and the RGB on the H115i flashes off then back on.

Sometimes it even just cycles disconnecting and reconnecting which is super annoying.

I just bought and installed the H115i RGB Platinum on my system, including the latest version of iCue (3.12.118) and updated the firmware to the latest version (1.00.33) via iCue as well. I also get the USB disconnects while Steam is running, which often also lead to crashes of the H115i's USB driver (only a PC restart will fix it).

The H115i is connected directly to an USB Header on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master mainboard (I tried both that are available, no change). I have Windows 10 Education 64 bit 1809 with all the latest patches and drivers installed.

I tested this on my brother's and my friend's computers as well, the behavior is 100% reproducible on them, too.

1. It seems the problem is related to Steam. If I start Steam and let it run, it will repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the H115i.

Reading the Steam forums a bit, it might be related to the Steam Controller feature (since many users have reported other USB devices being randomly disconnected/reconnected while Steam is running).

Steam will see the Corsair as an Unknown HID device (and perhaps H115i is also falsely reporting itself as USB game controller?), assume it might be a controller, try to access/poll all USB devices and cause a disconnect/reconnect it in the process (especially if you have many USB devices connected and they are polled all at once, potentially overloading the USB bus).

This will often cause the H115i's Driver to crash (especially when the Fan RGB lighting is enabled), in which case it reverts to default "silent" mode which may not be enough to cool the system.

The Steam controller feature apparently can't be turned off completely to prevent the issue.

I hope that Corsair can get in contact with Steam and work on a solution for this issue (I've already reported the bug over at Steam as well). Random USB devices disconnecting may not be too bad, but when it's a CPU cooler that requires the device/driver to run for good cooling performance, it's critical as heck as it could cause permanent damage to the CPU.

That said, I wish Corsair would let us "burn in" our iCue profiles to be saved in firmware and applied automatically as "fallback" (instead of dropping to some sort of quiet or balanced like it does now) even when not connected and iCue isn't running, it would be safer instead of having to rely on the software and driver to be active. I'd certainly prefer my custom, aggressive fan curve and Extreme pump setting to stay default so the 9900K and the system which the H115i's fans help circulate air through won't overheat. Maybe we can get such an option added to a future firmware.

2. I also get the H115i USB disconnect/reconnect on Windows Startup (Steam isn't starting up automatically for me, so it isn't the cause here).

Edit: The Driver crashes I can prevent by connecting the H115i RGB Platinum to an USB 3.1 port outside the case with a cable I had here at home. It seems the included USB2.0 for the internal connector isn't entirely sufficient to power the H115i RGB Platinum and it's two fans with lighting running. Steam still does disconnect the H115i, though, albeit it doesn't cause the driver to crash anymore when connected to an USB3.1 port in the back.

It has nothing to do with steam. Did a fresh install of windows, installed iCUE and disconnect happened 5 min after.

If it's a usb problem with iCUE that's corsairs problem.

It has nothing to do with steam. Did a fresh install of windows, installed iCUE and disconnect happened 5 min after.

If it's a usb problem with iCUE that's corsairs problem.

Yes, you're likely right, it probably doesn't have to do with Steam directly, it's likely a bug/issue with iCue that's causing it. But other programs that poll the USB bus, like Steam or even Windows' own "Game Controllers" settings program usually trigger it reliably while iCue is running. If iCue isn't running, there are no disconnects.

Here is what I believe happens. The disconnects/reconnects seem to occur due to iCue restarting, because for some reason, when iCue starts, it always disconnects/reconnects the cooler. When iCue crashes it restarts itself, thus it also disconnects/reconnects the cooler. If this happens too often in a short amount of time, the USB driver can crash and then one will get the error in device manager and only a restart will help.

So basically, iCue has some issues with Platinum coolers (and possibly other devices) which causes it to crash, which in turn causes it to restart itself which once again disconnects/reconnects the device.

If you don't run iCue (as detailed in the workaround linked in my signature), there appear to be no disconnects/reconnects, even with the Corsair Service running.

Edited by Glzmo

I'm watching this thread very closely.

I have a brand shiny new H100i RGB Platinum in a box on the floor waiting to be installed as part of my "bling" upgrade. Seriously hoping not to have this disconnect/reconnect saga - holding my breath !!!

Welp. I have to say, I'm a bit disconcerted. I absolutely want to get this particular Cooler, but this and other threads indicate that there have been some concerns for a while now. Don't get me wrong, I still like Corsair products and I may in all likelihood get this or a similar Cooler, but from what I've been able to piece together most of the fixes are more or less workarounds of sorts.

Anyway, I'll be watching this space, and if anyone has any other suggestions for an equal or better performing unit I'm all ears

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is anyone still suffering from disconnect issues? It's doing it every 15 minutes for me and peeing me off!

Edit: I found another post on the german forum linking to this: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360027502932-HWiNFO64-verursacht-Konflikt-mit-K%C3%BChlern-und-iCUE

I have got HWINFO running so unticking that box and running to test.

Edited by Hinks