Corsair Community

Monitor Recommendations?

MicahT

I’m thinking to get the i160 once it’s released but haven’t decided which monitor to go for yet. I’m tossing up between 1080p/240hz or 4k/60hz. I know that these two monitors serve very different purposes but I still don’t know which one is more for me.

I’m disregarding 1440p because I’m a hobbyist game developer so I’m worried about scaling for when I develop for 1080p monitors.

Am I worried about a non-issue? Which monitor would show the full potential of the i160? Does anyone have any good recommendations?

As a developer, you probably want to have more screen space, so I'd say go for 4K. Software developer myself, and I have the LG-UD89 and LG-UD99 (mostly similar, with some differences, mainly "fake"-HDR and PBP ). I mostly was interested in PBP (connecting multiple machines and combine with synergy - don't care about HDR). Had the UD89 for almost a year and the UD99 since last wee and so far quite satisfied with those. No dead pixels. The UD99 seems to have a slight bit of light bleed at the bottom edges, but that's only noticeable on a completely dark background, and honestly, I rarely have that situation. For me it was more important to have 0 dead pixels (I'd be seriously OCD with that).

Still looked at the UL950 (previously UK950), but for what it does extra (2x thunderbolt) it's simply not worth the (almost double) price. Of course depends on your needs.

If you are a pro game you might want to go for 4K 144Hz, but for me (casual gamer - fps, strategy etc) 60Hz is fine.

Archived