Corsair Community

Melted cpu 8-pin connector fx9590+hx850

FLP

Hello guys i have one strange and complicated problem =(

The 8 pin CPU connector is melting, the cable temperature is always high, close to 50 °C. I have an FX9590 without overclocking, actually it is set to stay at 4.5ghz. My power supply is a Corsair HX850x semi modular.

I've had this setup for a long time and I've never had problems, but these days it started to happen. I did not change anything on the PC.

All config :

CPU : AMD FX-9590

Motherboard : Crosshair V Formula

GPU : Gigabyte Geforce GTX970 G1

Memory Ram :16gb 4x Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz

Power Supply : Corsair HX850 850w

Watercooler H100i Corsair

Cooler Memory Ram : Airflow II Corsair

Case : Corsair R500

HD: SSD 128gb Corsair Force Series™ LX (RAID 0)

HD: SSD 120gb Kingston V300 (RAID 0)

HD : Sata III 500gb

HD: Sata II 160gb

Fotos : https://imgur.com/a/ilJ9Q9z

What could be happening ?

FLP

Also, you said that you have a Crosshair V Formula.

Based on the CPU Support page (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/HelpDesk_CPU/), this motherboard doesn't support the 9590.

The Crosshair V Formula-Z does support the 9590 but the CPU support page does indicate that there are limitations when using this CPU:

Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)

(https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/HelpDesk_CPU/)

• Corsair Employee
Looks like a mix of photos, but there is a burnt pin on the 4+4 from the PSU. If it was directly connected and not with an extension and if you're still within warranty (7 years with proof of purchase), put in a ticket with support so they can help you out.

To confirm what I think I'm seeing in the picture ....

The power connector on the motherboard is melting a bit, not the connector on the cable, correct? And that's a 4-pin connector for the power, not an 8-pin?

sorry the delay i only can power pc for few time =´(

on past i use 4pin and 8pin in same time, but now the 4pin as completed melted, because this i only use 8pin now. but 8pin as melted too, day by day more melted, because this i stop use pc =´(. i ask for my friend one PSU for test, and now i waiting he.....

i will try contact Corsair suport, but i buy my PSU on ebay =´(

FLP

• Corsair Employee

That 4-pin is not a Corsair cable.

Corsair has never used "white" (or semi-milky) connectors. That cable looks very cheap and flimsy. I doubt the wire gauge is correct and you're pulling too much power.

You should buy yourself THE CORRECT CABLES made to work with that particular PSU.

That 4-pin is not a Corsair cable.

Corsair has never used "white" (or semi-milky) connectors. That cable looks very cheap and flimsy. I doubt the wire gauge is correct and you're pulling too much power.

You should buy yourself THE CORRECT CABLES made to work with that particular PSU.

the 4 pin is adapted because PSU dont have 4pin and 8pin ... but the 8pin is original corsair and melted too...

FLP

• Corsair Employee
the 4 pin is adapted because PSU dont have 4pin and 8pin ... but the 8pin is original corsair and melted too...

FLP

Ok. That contradicts what you said earlier. You were asked if you were using "an extension". You said "no". Extension.... adapter... doesn't matter. Same thing. Same effect.

The smaller gauge wire creates resistance. The connection between the 8-pin and 4-pin creates resistance.

What are you adapting the 4-pin from? Are you using a Molex to 4-pin adapter? If so, how many Molex plug into that adapter?

Yes, the 8-pin is melting too, but if the board can't pull enough power from the 4-pin, it's going to pull more from the 8-pin. The motherboard's CPU power regulators aren't on separate circuits. They're trying to pull power from those connectors equally. If there's a lot of resistance on one connector (enough to make it melt), it's going to try to pull the rest from the other (enough to make it melt). Then you unplugged the 4-pin (because it melted) and now ALL the power has to come from the 8-pin. Of course it melted!

You do realize how old that PSU is, right? Almost 10 years ago. You bought it on eBay? When? 5 years ago? 6 years ago? 7 years ago?

Why it was fine before and just started having a problem recently could be for a number of reasons. The connector pins can be looser (wear and tear), there could be some corrosion on the pins (either motherboard or PSU), or the output voltages of the PSU could have dropped, because the PSU is so darn old, causing the board to actually pull higher current than normal to compensate.

It's really not the best set up for you. I wouldn't bother contacting Corsair since the PSU's warranty is expired almost two times over and you bought it used. You honestly just need a new PSU with the correct cables.

Hello guys i have one strange and complicated problem =(

The 8 pin CPU connector is melting, the cable temperature is always high, close to 50 °C. I have an FX9590 without overclocking, actually it is set to stay at 4.5ghz. My power supply is a Corsair HX850x semi modular.

I've had this setup for a long time and I've never had problems, but these days it started to happen. I did not change anything on the PC.

All config :

CPU : AMD FX-9590

Motherboard : Crosshair V Formula

GPU : Gigabyte Geforce GTX970 G1

Memory Ram :16gb 4x Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz

Power Supply : Corsair HX850 850w

Watercooler H100i Corsair

Cooler Memory Ram : Airflow II Corsair

Case : Corsair R500

HD: SSD 128gb Corsair Force Series™ LX (RAID 0)

HD: SSD 120gb Kingston V300 (RAID 0)

HD: Sata II 160gb

Fotos : https://imgur.com/a/ilJ9Q9z

What could be happening ?

FLP

That motherboard is not suitable for the power load of that CPU.

Either get a new AM4 setup or find a motherboard that has enough power for the FX 9590 which is a serious power pig.

You probably need a better AX1500i which has more amps to cope with extreme hardware like that. The AX1500i has more EPA12V and ATX12V connectors for motherboards etc.

You may also need to use a H100i water cooling unit to cope with the head of the CPU too

Archived