Corsair Community

Lighting Node Pro malfunctioning with HD and LL fans on the same LED channel

JoshW91

I've had my HD and LL fans connected to the same LED channel for a few weeks now and they've been consistently working the way they should be, but just recently, the Lighting Node Pro started malfunctioning where the animation freezes on Corsair Link 4, but the fans' lighting pattern reverts back to Rainbow and it won't let me change it to what I had before or anything else. I've tried reinstalling Corsair Link multiple times, which didn't help at all. I tried installing version 4.9.3.25 (currently on 4.9.4.28), but it said installation failed with an error code every time. Last night, I tried reinstalling the newest firmware for the Lighting Node Pro, which fixed it up until I got back on my PC when I got home from work. I have a feeling that I either need to install an older firmware or the fact that it's coming from having HD and LL fans on the same LED Channel. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think it's from having LL and HD fans on the same channel. There's supposed to only be one fan type per channel. With the latest version, they've brought back hardware playback for lighting effects for all fans EXCEPT the LL fans (which require software playback). So that may have an impact on the issue as well.

Hmmm ... that seems to be a generic Windows Installer error so it could mean anything.

If you want to try uninstalling/reinstalling, I would suggest doing the following:

1) Exit Link. Wait a few minutes. Verify that the Link Service (in Services as "Corsair LINK 4") is stopped.

2) Uninstall the previous version.

3) Install the new version.

If the Link service hangs on shutdown (which happens occasionally, especially if it's been running for a while), you may need to reboot. Even if Link is set to load at Windows startup, if you exit right after booting, it should be fine.

I stated that I'm currently using the newest version of Corsair Link, but I know what you mean. It would still be the same process. I'll try that when I'm back home from work.

Well ... I meant the previous version - the one that worked for you. Corsair is out on holiday until the new year; Corsair Dustin may have some insight when he returns.

Yeah, I'm hoping so. As soon as I got home and turned my PC back on, it all of a sudden started working again. If it acts up I will try installing the previous version though. Also, thanks for the help so far.

Update: I did some testing and noticed that it always freezes on the software when I have them all configured as LL fans. When I have them configured as HD fans, they never freeze up on me. But again, they consistently worked for weeks, after installing them, when I had them configured as LL fans with the previous version, so that might have something to do with it.

• Corsair Employee

So technically, due to the way the hardware and software drive the LEDs, mixing fans shouldn't cause any actual crashes. But it will undoubtedly cause lighting artifacts.

The fans - and all of the RGB products that get connected to our LED ports - are effectively "dumb." They don't know what they are, and the software has to be told what they are to light up the correct number of LEDs in the correct sequence.

How many of each fan are you running off of that same hub?

Archived