Corsair Community

Is it possible to control the AX1200i fan with the SpeedFan program?

NuKIOUS

Just like the title says, really. I'd like to control the AX1200i fan with more advanced settings, so I'd like to be able to control the AX1200i fan and view the AX1200i temperature from SpeedFan. FYI by "SpeedFan" I mean this.

I'm using the Corsair Link USB Dongle and after setting up the driver I'm surprised that Corsair Link doesn't have a feature which allows fans to work at a specific speed at a specific temperture and so on.

So the reason I need to use SpeedFan is because every time the AX1200i gets hotter I want the fan to get faster. And every time it gets colder, I want the fan to get slower. SpeedFan gives me that ability with Advanced Fan Control, so if I could use SpeedFan with the AX1200i fan and temperature without having to touch anything inside my PC, that'd be amazing.

EDIT: Maybe something like Virtual Audio Cable? Like; a virtual fan and a virtual temperature which controls/views the AX1200i's fan/temperature. Then the fan and temp could be controlled/viewed by SpeedFan?

The only sensible way you could use SpeedFan is if Alfredo added support to do this. Most of the protocol is defined in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092. I am not sure how much work it would be just to report and control AXi PSU, I suspect only a few thousand lines of C/C++.

The tricky part is likely to be talking to the AXi PSU via USB as both Martin (HWiNFO) and I have thus far not managed to make this work. We have just got HXi + RMi via USB working, but AXi is a totally different protocol. All of AXi + HXi + RMi via C-Link have been working for over a year.

The only way you could use SpeedFan is if Alfredo added support to do this. Most of the protocol is defined in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092. I am not sure how much work it would be just to report and control AXi PSU, I suspect only a few thousand lines of C.

The tricky part is likely to be talking to the AXi PSU via USB as both Martin (HWiNFO) and I have thus far not managed to make this work. We have just got HXi + RMi via USB working, but AXi is a totally different protocol. All of AXi + HXi + RMi via C-Link has been working for over a year.

I don't know much about C. I can make a program that says "Hello World!" but that was as much as I could do, I haven't learned it much. Seriously, is it that complicated to control a fan with a temperature? What I need is some pre-made software which lets me configure different automatic controls for the PSU, I can't understand why nobody has made a program like this before; It seems like something that would be quite common.

Would it be possible to have Corsair Link updated; or a custom version built; which has the feature to auto-set the fan speed? If SpeedFan has it, it doesn't seem too hard to make to someone experienced with C.

It's not that hard at all and I found it quite easy. The only tricky part is likely to be talking to the AXi PSU via USB.

Below you can see my C-Link attached AX1500i being controlled by a Custom Curve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23204&stc=1&d=1446128237

I can't understand why nobody has made a program like this before; It seems like something that would be quite common.

It just so happens I implemented PSU Custom Curves on 18-Oct-2015 and am surprised you did not find the post and http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152223 when you searched for "psu fan control".

1903552749_LinkFansshowingAX1500iCustomCurve.thumb.png.dae4f70e78822157f11b8b3a2d04e30e.png

It's not that hard at all and I found it quite easy. The only tricky part is likely to be talking to the AXi PSU via USB.

Below you can see my C-Link attached AX1500i being controlled by a Custom Curve.

It just so happens I implemented PSU Custom Curves on 18-Oct-2015 and am surprised to did not find the post or did you not search for "psu custom curve"?

Thanks, I'll see what I can do with that program (if I ever find the download link), I'm a bit confused though... There was a picture on another thread I looked at which showed a Custom Curve in Corsair Link via Balanced Mode... but... I can't seem to get Balanced mode on anything?

Infact I'm pretty confused. I can't seem to find a download link anywhere. This is odd..

Thanks, I'll see what I can do with that program (if I ever find the download link), I'm a bit confused though... There was a picture on another thread I looked at which showed a Custom Curve in Corsair Link via Balanced Mode... but... I can't seem to get Balanced mode on anything?

SIV will not report or control your AX1200i as it's USB attached. Read what I said in my earlier posts.

Quoting "other thread" without a link is pointless.

SIV will not report or control your AX1200i as it's USB attached. Read that I said in my earlier posts.

Quoting "other thread" without a link is pointless.

Well I can't C-Link it as I have no idea how and I probably don't have the right parts.

As for the "other thread", it was the 4th post down here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118661

Well I can't C-Link it as I have no idea how and I probably don't have the right parts.

As for the "other thread", it was the 4th post down here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118661

I have already told you how to C-Link attach it. If we could make USB work few would be more pleased than Martin and I, but thus far we have not managed.

Also if you have a H100i, H80i, CL Mini or old Commander and you C-Link attach the AX1200i via that you will not need the dongle driver at all as they use the MS HID drivers.

Thank you for the link and looking at the thread that is a Custom Curve for a cooler and it is also rather old so CL may well have changed. If you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=813546 you will see that with CL 3.2.5742 Custom Curves are not available for my AX1500i PSU and I expect the same will be true for your AX1200i. This is also what prompted me to implement PSU Custom Curves.

Note that is you use ?p=nnnnnn as above you can have links directly to posts.

I have already told you how to C-Link attach it. If we could make USB work few would be more pleased than Martin and I, but thus far we have not managed.

Thank you for the link and looking at the thread that is a Custom Curve for a cooler and it is also rather old so CL may well have changed. If you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=813546 you will see that with CL 3.2.5742 Custom Curves are not available for my AX1500i PSU and I expect the same will be true for your AX1200i. This is also what prompted me to implement PSU Custom Curves.

Note that is you use ?p=nnnnnn as above you can have links directly to posts.

Alright. I still find it odd that Corsair Link wouldn't have some sort of ability to link a PWM to a temperature, it seems a bit stupid since I can set a fixed speed, and all a Custom Curve does is check what temp goes with what speed, and sets the fan speed to whatever's linked to the current temp, so it basically just auto-sets the fixed speed.

What if I ran the PSU fan at 100% all the time, fixed. Would that be dangerous in any way? Would the fan become "worn out"? Could it break the PSU? I don't care about the noise, I care about the damage it could cause, and how long it'll last at 100%. I have a case fan which is about the same size as the PSU fan, and it runs at 100% constantly (it's been like that for 7 years now) and it has a similar maximum RPM to the PSU. But I'm still not going to risk having the PSU at 100% until I know from an expert that it'll be completely fine like my case fan.

Alright. I still find it odd that Corsair Link wouldn't have some sort of ability to link a PWM to a temperature, it seems a bit stupid

AFAIK when you set the PWM % this sets a minimum and if the PSU firmware feels this is too low will speed up the fan. Try setting PWM 40% and see how that works out.

CL4 may do better.

Archived