Corsair Community

LL RGB with more than 6 fans

Toledo5189

I know this question has most likely been asked and probably in multiple variants but I am having a hard time finding a solid answer.

I am working on a build that will have 6x 120mm LL RGB fans and 1x 140mm LL RGB fans. I currently have all of the fans as well as an RGB Lighting Hub, a Lighting Node PRO and a Commander Pro. It would be really great to have the 7th fan work with the sequential animations but from what I have read I am not clear on whether that is possible. Below are the 3 configurations that I can come up with to integrate the 7th fan. Hoping someone can shed some light on the 7+ fan conundrum and if there is a setup that Corsair is working on supporting with future software updates.

Setup 1:

Purchase a second RGB Lighting Hub and daisy chain it to the system (from what I understand the Corsair software will allow complete control or the 7th fan but sequential effects like pong will not function properly.

Setup 2:

Tie two fans into one Light Hub connection using a custom splitter. I will obviously not have the sequential animations working as two fans will be identical and I will also not be able to control the 7th fan individually. **Not even sure if splitting the connection will even work, this is the cheap and easy compromise**

Setup 3:

Use one of the 2 RGB ports on the Lighting Node Pro as I would not mind sacrificing an RGB strip as I may leave them out of the build anyways. **Will Corsair's software recognize the 7th fan through the Lighting Node Pro and if so would it be considered fan #0 or #7, or am I just out of luck on the sequential animations with this as well.

Sorry for the long post and like I said I am sure this has been answered but I keep seeing people going back and forth and nothing seems to be clear.

Thanks!

Setup 1 would be the officially supported solution. You can get some sequential effects with iCue but Pong isn't in there yet. It might work best, depending on your layout, to split the fans as 4/3. When I had 7 LL fans in one of my systems, this was how mine were configured. Now I have 8 and they are split 4/4.

Setup 2 might work but it's not supported. Check out my link on the making/repairing RGB cables for a image of someone that has done that. The challenge that you'll have would be that 7 LL fans may go over 4.5A total current draw, which would be bad. This is the max current on the 5V SATA rail so it's a pretty hard limit.

Setup 3 can be made to work but you won't get pong with the seventh fan and some effects would be wacky ... and a couple of other things. You'd have the strips ... then connect the last strip to the fan hub using the NoPro/FanHub cable (2 wires/3 pins). With 4 strips, you've have a total of 56 LEDs, which would be equal to 3 1/2 LL fans or 4 2/3 HD Fans ... so you could configure it as four LL or 5 HD fans. Forget about any kind of sequential effects. Personally ... one of my systems has a similar configuration - I have 4 strips connected to a fan hub with 6 ML-RGB fans for a total of 64 LEDS. I have it configured in iCue as 4 LL fans.

Sorry for the long post and like I said I am sure this has been answered but I keep seeing people going back and forth and nothing seems to be clear.

Thanks!

Great advice above and as said.. that 7th Fan will never be in the sequential (pong etc) chain with the Current software.

Always worth having a read of the below thread dude,,,,

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Setup 1 would be the officially supported solution. You can get some sequential effects with iCue but Pong isn't in there yet. It might work best, depending on your layout, to split the fans as 4/3. When I had 7 LL fans in one of my systems, this was how mine were configured. Now I have 8 and they are split 4/4.

Setup 2 might work but it's not supported. Check out my link on the making/repairing RGB cables for a image of someone that has done that. The challenge that you'll have would be that 7 LL fans may go over 4.5A total current draw, which would be bad. This is the max current on the 5V SATA rail so it's a pretty hard limit.

Setup 3 can be made to work but you won't get pong with the seventh fan and some effects would be wacky ... and a couple of other things. You'd have the strips ... then connect the last strip to the fan hub using the NoPro/FanHub cable (2 wires/3 pins). With 4 strips, you've have a total of 56 LEDs, which would be equal to 3 1/2 LL fans or 4 2/3 HD Fans ... so you could configure it as four LL or 5 HD fans. Forget about any kind of sequential effects. Personally ... one of my systems has a similar configuration - I have 4 strips connected to a fan hub with 6 ML-RGB fans for a total of 64 LEDS. I have it configured in iCue as 4 LL fans.

@DevBiker

Thank you very much for your detailed reply this definitely clears things up!

Great advice above and as said.. that 7th Fan will never be in the sequential (pong etc) chain with the Current software.

Always worth having a read of the below thread dude,,,,

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

@Zotty

I actually visited that page while doing some research but never managed to scroll down to the advanced setup. That page is extremely helpful. I guess my question at the end of the day was really just looking for clarification on the pong effect and if there was a specific setup that was recommended by Corsiar that may be supported soon. Running out of room in the case to keep that clean simple flow going behind the scenes so I was hoping there was an alternative to Setup 1. Although with the explanation above that will be the route I go with.

Now if somebody could produce a clean SATA power splitter similar the the NZXT USB hub, this RGB craze leaves you with so many SATA cables!

@Zotty

I actually visited that page while doing some research but never managed to scroll down to the advanced setup. That page is extremely helpful. I guess my question at the end of the day was really just looking for clarification on the pong effect and if there was a specific setup that was recommended by Corsair that may be supported soon. Running out of room in the case to keep that clean simple flow going behind the scenes so I was hoping there was an alternative to Setup 1. Although with the explanation above that will be the route I go with.

Now if somebody could produce a clean SATA power splitter similar the the NZXT USB hub, this RGB craze leaves you with so many SATA cables!

A SATA Power splitter won't help you. It's actually a really bad idea with the fan hubs and NoPros - SATA is limited to 4.5A per header. With a splitter, you could possibly draw 9.0A on each of them, which goes WAY OVER the source SATA connector's power limit. And yes, when you load up a fan hub with 6 LL fans or load up a NoPro with 12 strips, you start getting close to that 4.5A limit.

Each connector is rated for 4.5A. Even if the cables are designed and can handle higher current, the connector is not. DO NOT try to push 3 connector's worth of amperage through a single connector. DO NOT think that you can safely and successfully exceed well documented industry specifications. Putting a splitter on an existing SATA connection does not increase the source SATA connection's capacity.

Archived