Corsair Community

AX1600i - one led light red; why?

MoldCAD

Hi

I've just upgraded from AX1200 to AX1600i and would like to know what various colors of the two led lights (near the self-test button) mean.

When I switch the computer on, the PSU runs its fan at full speed for several seconds, and both lights are green. Then the fan slows down (usually to 0 RPM, as the system load is close to none), and the right light (when looking from the front of the PC case) changes from green to red. It then stays red mostly, but blinks sometimes; it bug me somewhat... Why is that, and what does it mean?

Also, please advise which software I'd be better off using: LINK or CUE?

Thanks,

Piotr

PS. Is there any reason to replace all the cabling from my previous PSU (AX1200) with the cables which came with the new AX1600i, or are they of the same quality?

With the power supply oriented so the self test button above the 2 LEDs (fan pointing down), the left LED is the short circuit led and should be green, Right side LED is the Corsair LINK LED it will flash green to red as link communicates with your computer.

If this is your only link device i would recommend going with the icue software because the Link software has reached it end of life and wont be updated. If you have other older link devices you will need to check compatibility.

Thanks; good to know the right hand side LED going red is not anything to worry about :) I have followed your advise and removed the Corsair LINK software and installed Icue. I must say that compared to my previous AX1200 (non-"i") model, this one I have now gives a very solid experience... That said, I liked the LINK interface more than Icue for some reason; also my AX1600i is the only compatible device I have... I guess I must dig deeper into it. Thanks again!

Piotr

Ouch... :(

So the whole idea of full modularity is denied :( But please tell me this: if I connected my new AX1600i using the cabling "left-over" from the AX1200 - and nothing "very bad happened" - it would mean I can leave it, or still replace the cables? Everything's working properly, also under heavy load; is there still a danger?

My problem is that I was given a very short time for returning the AX1200 (along with the complete set of cables), and may not make it if I replace all the cables now. The PCIe cables (like those powering graphics cards) can be replaced within 10 minutes, but to replace the motherboard (24 pin) and CPU (2x 8pin) cables I'd have to take the mobo out of the case completely.

Please advise...Is there a quick way to test whether all is working 100% as it should? What to look for when my PC works OK? Could it even start and boot if the pin-out were indeed wrong with some cable(s), with all this "intelligence" build-into the highest class model the AX1600i is?!!

Piotr

With the power supply oriented so the self test button above the 2 LEDs (fan pointing down), the left LED is the short circuit led and should be green, Right side LED is the Corsair LINK LED it will flash green to red as link communicates with your computer.

Unfortunately, I've just got an answer to my Corsair Support ticket on this, which seems contradictory to what was said above; here it goes:

"Hello Piotr,

The RIGHT LED is for PSU fail test, Red means Fail then Green is for fully working and the LEFT LED is for Link connectivity. If the LEFT LED is constantly red that means its not connected to iCUE/Link, Alternate Red and Green means establishing connection with iCUE/Link, Green means connected to iCUE/Link.

If you don't have link cable attached to PSU then nothing to worry about.

Regards,

Chad"

So now I'm lost... Which is true - and if the answer from Support, shouldn't this "failing state" of my AX1600i be confirmed by some message in iCUE or LINK software? After all, the LEDs are normally not visible with the PC case closed; the software should convey the same warning messages! What am I risking?

Piotr

• 2 weeks later...

Are you seeing a RED light or orangeish light.

The link light will flick green to redish orange constantly, now if you have a short you will get a solid red light on the other LED and the PSU should shut down

a

also that ticket reply never established which side is left or right you could have the psu mounted fan down or fan up, which in turn would change which led is physically on the left or right

Archived