Corsair Community

Wired or RAM GUY I need help :(

Hello,

I'm new with this so I'll give you as much information as I can possible give you...

System Description:

------------------------------------

Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IG1000MK

Northwood P4 2.4ghz (ht tech with 800mhz bus) @3.24ghz with stock cooling

Chipset: i865p/PE/G/i848p

1024 Corsair CMX 512-3200C2 2x(512)

AGP 8X (installed radeon 9800 pro 128 mb)

(I apologize if this is too much)

Current BIOS settings

voltage 1.6

CPU (Mhz) [270] x 12

Memory Frequency [Auto] (But I have the option to change the settings to:[1.33] or [1.66] or [2.0])

Current CPU Temp 24-34 'C

Timings-Memory

Frequency 180.4 MHz

FSB:DRAM 3:2

CAS# latency 2.5 clocks

Cycle time 10 clocks

I recently purchased 2 Corsair CMX512-3200c2 RAMs (XMS). I installed both to be run under Dual channel successfully. I ran the BIOS in default mode just to c how it would run normally @2.4ghz with mem freq at 1.66 and my gaming apps would crash after several minutes of play. Well I bought the RAM cause I wanted to overclock my computer so I bumped up the CPU Host Frequency to [260]x12 with mem freq at 1.66 and the computer froze before I got back into bios. I then took out one of the RAM and got back into the bios and reset to default. Now I'm running [270]x12 (see the rest above in BIOS settings) and I'm having no problems.

So I'm wonderring y was this happening? Should I set my Memory Freq to "[auto]"..or can I overclock it, cause it seems to be underclocked? Hypothetically what would you change in the BIOS if you we're me?

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help a noobie. Hope this isn't too long..but better safe then sorry?

Thanks again,

-Tom

Hi wired thx for replying :)

Is this an additional 1 GB to what you already have?
Overall I have one gigabyte of RAM. So I got two 512mb, that are running dual channel.

Are you testing just the new memory one stick at a time?
No, originally I only had 512mb of ram in my computer which ran really well :)

Then I purchased the same 512 stick. So I installed the new stick, my computer now runs in dual channel. I've been testing the chips together in dual channel at [1.66], but I've been getting bad results when adjusting my CPU Freq. the computer resets, freezing and even my computer when booted wouldn't let me into bios.

Are the sticks a TwinX pack or 2 separate sticks?

2 seperate sticks:

The First stick I bought :

Part number CMX512-3200c2

Version number v1.5

Lot number 0516077-0

The second stick I bought:

Part number CMX512-3200c2

Version number v4.2

Lot number 0434033-0

Thanks again man :)

-Tom

Version number v1.5

Version number v4.2

Bingo. The ICs aren't playing well with each other. Test one stick at a time to make sure neither stick is bad. Assuming they pass, it's just the chipset throwing a fit that it has to deal with 2 ICs.

I talked to my vender who sold me the corsair...and there's nothing they can do to exchange my ram because they always take the newer versions of RAM, but told me to contact corsair direclty to see if I have any options.

Heres hoping :roll:

Ok I found the problem, one of the sticks of RAM was bad when I ran the memtest;moreover, running 3 passes on the memory I had alot of errors :(

So Im going to need to get one of the modules replaced.

i don't think they really work well together... u can try swapping with someone the 1.5 as it uses UTT chips..

4.2 should be ok for u as it won't need high voltage..

Even if the IC's were UTT from Winbond (-5), they were tested and rated for

the XMS 3200C2 module.

All Corsair XMS RAM is warranted up to 2.9 volts regardless of chips used.

Ok, both sticks run fine individually...

Ok I found the problem, one of the sticks of RAM was bad when I ran the memtest;moreover, running 3 passes on the memory I had alot of errors :(

So Im going to need to get one of the modules replaced.

Which one would it be?

As Wired said, the difference in the IC's is causing the problem.

A bad BIOS setting can produce errors and does'nt mean the RAM is bad.

Which one would it be?

As Wired said, the difference in the IC's is causing the problem.

A bad BIOS setting can produce errors and does'nt mean the RAM is bad.

It's the v1.5, I ran it in Memtest Single channel and got 70+ errors within 4 passes, the version 4.2 runs fine in mem test, got to pass 4 with no errors.

So memtest displays errors for v1.5 but not v4.2

My memory settings which tech support helped me with:

CAS latency time 2.5

Active to precharge delay 7

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 3

DRAM RAS# Precharge 3

Memory frequency 1.66

• 2 months later...

Hi Ram Guy,

I was wonderring since my v1.5 does not pass the memory test through many passes in memtest, and I currently have a v4.2 which does work would it be possible to ask for a v4.2 in return so I can run dual channel np?

Thanks for your time

Tom

• Corsair Employee

Tom,

I am sorry but we cannot order a module by revision #, You can ask our custome Service if they will let you exchange both modules for 2 that match, but this is not really a warranty issue.

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" or follow the link in my signature "If you have submitted the RMA using the on line form and have not got a reply!"

Archived