Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

Updated to the new update on iCue. H115i Platinum now has Balanced added into the mix on the Pump selection. By Balanced, it's really just Quiet, but with a new name. Quiet now makes the pump run at 1993 RPM and it sounds like it's gurgling. Do NOT recommend running at that speed.

Yep I thought my pump was dying before I realised quiet was now running under 2000rpm. No point using quiet at all since it's the loudest profile to run now.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, fully agree. Quiet should be renamed to "lowest speed but by far the loudest"... This new mode is totally unnecessary. Instead of wasting time to implement something irrelevant like this they should more concentrate on fixing this USB disconnect issue as this issue makes the whole pump pointless...

I personally appreciate the change to pump speed selection, seemed odd not having "balanced" to start with. I also appreciate this may be a complex issue that we are trivializing, maybe related to other software including Steam ,Nvidia drivers, Windows updates etc.

What I don't appreciate is the relative silence from the devs or community team on this issue, given the size of this thread and the severity of the issue. This needs some attention...and as said before, it's not clear whether anyone with this issue has even been consulted or asked to provide any diagnostics. Now is not the time to be silent on an issue affecting a number of flagship products, and I'm assuming, thousands of customers.

If we are expected to cut them some slack...maybe fill us in a bit.

Just to update this to let Corsair know....same....issue....with the new case, Obsidian 500D SE *WITH* the Commander Pro and Lite Node that came with it....

At this point I am putting the H110 on the back burner until this is resolved.

Hell, I would even consider still purchasing it if there was some sort of, oh I dunno, FEEDBACK on this that isnt "Try this version of the software, we swear it will work this time....Honest" WHEN IT DOESN'T.

Also, just to add to the woes we are all having and yes I plan to call tech support tomorrow, but one of the screws that holds the panel on to the hinge wouldn't come out and the shaft (hinge) it was screwed into was just spinning away...had to remove the whole hinge to actually remove it to rebuild my computer in the new case.

For the record I am progressing into pissed territory with this now. Let me add up what I have spent in the last year or so with Corsair:

(all prices are what I paid at the time not current)

M65 Pro - $70

K95 Platinum - $180

Corsair Vengeance LPX (32Gb) - $380

Obsidian 500D SE - $260

MM800 - $70

ST100 - $80

Void Pro - $180

HX1200i - $260

By my math that's almost $1500. Not counting the shipping or the fact that I got an extended warranty with most of that (don't hate on the extended warranty its worked out for me in the past and I actually utilize them if something happens :P).

So I have to ask the Corsair Community Rep (if there is one, otherwise anyone from Corsair can answer this....

Do you guys like making someone who has used Corsair, and only corsair, for RAM going on 20 years look like a chump? Because I am starting to get that impression. And I'm sure this question can cover a lot of others here who have posted without a G0DDAMN lick of help or sign of a fix that will actually work coming.

Telling us that the issue might be resolved is about as good as EAWare telling us they will support their games for more than a year. In case that was too subtle its about as effective as a wet fart in church during a sermon. And I can say that as I am not religious :P

Addendum: While I can't speak for anyone but myself on this part, Corsair has a legion of followers who would be more than happy to give you guys whatever information and/or help you might require in order to solve this. USE US! I'm not here to sit on my backside if there is anything I can do to help put this to rest once and for all. Stop hiding your heads in the sand and just ask for help if you need it, don't assume that every system is going to be the same or close to the same as your QA systems, because that seems to be working out SOOOoooo well right now. We would provide a bigger sample size that could help track this down.

If you ask us, we will come. :P

Edited by Waukeen

I personally appreciate the change to pump speed selection, seemed odd not having "balanced" to start with. I also appreciate this may be a complex issue that we are trivializing, maybe related to other software including Steam ,Nvidia drivers, Windows updates etc.

What I don't appreciate is the relative silence from the devs or community team on this issue, given the size of this thread and the severity of the issue. This needs some attention...and as said before, it's not clear whether anyone with this issue has even been consulted or asked to provide any diagnostics. Now is not the time to be silent on an issue affecting a number of flagship products, and I'm assuming, thousands of customers.

If we are expected to cut them some slack...maybe fill us in a bit.

AMEN. And while other software cant be discounted as the cause somehow I doubt it is that. Though it got me wondering, and while this is a long shot I'm just throwing this out there. Could this issue be caused by other companies RGB lighting and their software? While I don't go looking for RGB stuff seems for higher end stuff that's a feature now a days. My motherboard and GPU both have RGB, so this might be worth taking a look into even if it's a longshot.

Side note someone mentioned finding this thread on Reddit....I don't bother with Reddit but still surprised me it made it there :P

Edited by Waukeen

It seems that Steam likes do poll/enumerate the USB bus and it's devices repeatedly (especially when no compatible controller is connected/no compatible controller can be found), perhaps too quickly, which may cause the USB bus to overload and USB devices to disconnect/reconnect. This becomes more of an issue the more USB devices one has connected. For me, it likes to Disconnect my H115i RGB Platinum.

With other devices it isn't that bad, but when it's a cooler, it certainly can be dangerous, especially if you are running a more aggressive fan/pump profile and the H115i driver resets/crashes and the cooler goes into default quietish mode.

I think Corsair could make it safer by allowing us to "burn" our preferred pump and fan profiles (and RGB if we are at it anyway. although it isn't important for safety) to the firmware to fall back to in case of a driver crash, when iCue isn't running or the cooler can't communicate with it for any other reason, replacing the default setting.

Edited by Glzmo

It seems that Steam likes do poll/enumerate the USB bus repeatedly, perhaps too quickly, which may cause the USB bus to overload and USB devices to disconnect/reconnect. This becomes more of an issue the more USB devices one has connected. For me, it likes to Disconnect my H115i RGB Platinum.

With other devices it isn't that bad, but when it's a cooler, it certainly can be dangerous, especially if you are running a more aggressive fan/pump profile and the H115i driver resets/crashes and the cooler goes into default quietish mode.

I think Corsair could make it safer by allowing us to "burn" our preferred pump and fan profiles (and RGB if we are at it anyway. although it isn't important for safety) to the firmware to fall back to in case of a driver crash, when iCue isn't running or the cooler can't communicate with it for any other reason, replacing the default setting.

This issue happened to me when I was reinstalling my system and hadn't installed Steam at that time, but it is something to look at. Makes me wonder how many programs do polling for USB that don't need it.

I do really like that idea for "burning" the settings to firmware. Only thing I would be worried about is that firmware updates can go horribly wrong and the less of them you do the better. Still a good idea.

Ok so I have been experiencing an issue related to the LL120 fans that came with the Obsidian 500D SE and decided that since I am a sucker for punishment I would update to the newest version. **THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT THE DISCONNECT/RECONNECT ISSUE IS SOLVED**

But the issue was the fans would not let me adjust anything on them even after a firmware update, so lets play with fire. Now I can set the fan speeds and lighting without issue, which is nice, but I have to ask this how can this make sense:

Quiet sets fans to an idle of ~1500RPM

Balanced sets fans to an idle of ~950RPM

Extreme sets fans to an idle of ~1500-1700RPM

Truthfully I didn't even notice the gap in fan RPMs until I was typing this up for extreme but how is that quiet? Honest question....How is that quiet? Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe have balanced and quiet switched, ignoring the extreme setting?

Now that being said, I understand that no two items will always be exactly the same due to any number of reasons but a ~200RPM difference from the slowest running to the fastest seems a bit....steep.

Any input on particular question would be appreciated.

Something else I noticed about something Glzmo mentioned in his post. Under the Lighting Channel "tab" there is a 'Hardware lighting" option which states "Hardware Playback allows you to configure a lighting effect for your device that only plays when the iCUE software is not running."

Seems the might have stealth added what you mentioned brah. Cheers and I will update after I have run this version (3.12.118) for a while on if the disconnect/reconnect issue appears to be fixed....or if it isn't.

36 hours so far, No more usb disconnects. Currently have Spiral Rainbow Lighting Link running. This latest version also fixed an issue where my first 6 fans on a LNP would not work in this mode (They would stay on Rainbow only)...

OMG speak of the Devil.. as I now type this.. just had 2 disconnects! Seems it was ok using individual Spiral Rainbow settings but doesnt like Lighting Link.. Now 2 more.. so 4 total.

Going back to individual to see what happens... Nope.. 2 more whilst setting each to individual Rainbow...

Now H115i set to Red static.. so far so good again... Well.. It seemed ok for the first 36 hours.. then I used Lighting Link and killed it.. (I have a LOT of devices when its linked...)

Sigh so where to start. OK, first off I have not had the USB disconnect happen in about 48 hours, and I have the same setup as I had when this started occurring, so yay I guess.

Now though yall seem to have borked something else up, so thanks for making me think this was fully solved. Now my power supply (HX1200i) only shows the temp and the efficiency of the device, where as before it would show me the power in/out among a couple other options such as the power on the 12, 5 and 3.3 volt lines (this information WAS showing up on the older software) and the same goes for the Commander Pro as well (this had the voltages only). Now I'm not that concerned about the voltages persay but being able to see the power in/out is kind of nice so you can get an idea what kind of load you are putting on it. The added "Efficiency" number is rather nice but I could care less about doing the estimate in my head since if I can see what the raw number going in and out is.

How is it that you guys on the iCue team have managed to introduce NEW issues or fail to fix issues over multiple software releases? While I am going to tentatively say that the disconnect/reconnect issues *SEEMS* to be fixed (I point you to the post above from Axiste having it happen), this new "issue" is just as bad in my opinion since you managed to take away useful information and added something that doesn't seem like its figuring out the math correctly as I have seen the "Efficiency" %age is more or less about where it should be based off what I was seeing before (at idle) if I did the math in my head, when the PSU is actually providing more power (as in when I am playing a game or something) I have not only see numbers of 101% or higher up to 114% (again I understand that if it goes from providing more than needing less right away can someone from Corsair explain to me why the Efficiency % was showing me -141% a couple times so far? This is have only caught a couple of times as it doesn't happen often and when it does it happens too quickly to be able to get a screenshot of.

Now I could log the PSU information and see what I can shake out but since yall over there on the dev team seem to be ignoring us here I wont bother to unless I am asked directly since it would likely come to nothing if I did.

So what I would like to see happen is being given back the ability to view that information, as I didn't buy this PSU ONLY because I wanted to sell out completely to Corsair, I also got it because I liked the ability to see that information. I would also like to see proper communication from the dev team in regards to issues people are experiencing as opposed to the 'head in the sand' approach that seems to be the case there at this time. Lastly I would LIKE SOME OF THE REASONS I BOUGHT THE BLOODY DEVICE TO NOT BE REMOVED STEALTHILY. I am not the only one who seems to have noticed this issue (AX1600i data has gone missing in iCue).

Time to start a phone call campaign on a daily basis about this as it is getting out of hand. I am also going to see if the poster in the other thread wants to join this one even if they don't exactly have the same issues we did. At this point starting to wonder if the title of this can be changed to a catch all just to consolidate these into one area even if not everyone has a WC loop. Kinda like me.

The big culprit to the disconnect/reconnect issues appears to be the iCue software v3.12.118. An indicator is that when you start iCue, i disconnects/reconnects the H115i RGB Platinum briefly.

I set my profiles, exited iCue, removed it from startup and restarted (multiple times now). The fans seem to use the set profile normally (both RPM and RGB lighting), although I'm unsure about the pump. With iCue not running, there are no USB disconnects/reconnects, even with Steam running. It seems that iCue doesn't like software like Steam running and crashes when such software is running, which causes the disconnect/reconnect and reset to "quiet" settings. I really wish we could set default settings that apply when iCue crashes.

Also, if I disconnect the USB from both the H115i RGB Platinum and the Fans run fine. No problems, no flashing, just operating with the profile I set for the fans before. I just hope that the pump is also running on Extreme as I set, but there is no way to tell except starting iCue, which re-applies the last settings on startup so it's impossible to say (and no, my pump isn't audible even on extreme, so I can't use it as an indicator either - perhaps one of you that has a noisy pump could check, though).

All in all, it seems that it's an iCue software issue which Corsair needs to fix, possibly in conjunction with the people at Steam and whatever other software that causes conflicts.

I wonder what would happen if iCue wouldn't disconnect/reconnect Corsair USB devices when it starts. Corsair should really add some debugging options to the software so we could test things better.

Edited by Glzmo

I wonder if this will be another week of no resolution to this issue.

Mhm? Of course it will. iCUE update was just published for this month, there are never more than this 1 build every month. So next update is mid March but I doubt they will fix this until then... This will take at least til Eastern, maybe even til Summer...

I have all Corsair devices, a few months ago I had everything Razer. I am bitterly regretting this choice. In any case, how come this problem does not happen to everyone? I have a couple of friends with the same setup and do not have usb disconnects. What can you depend on?

Uninstalling iCUE did the trick for me. No more flickering, no more usb disconnects.

I cant change the colors but atleast the standard theme is beautiful too.

Eagerly waiting for a fix now.

Ive rated the product two stars on all major websites and wont change it until the product finally runs without issues.

Mine did the exact thing. Latest firmware and iCUE.

Disconnect sound then there was a disco in my case. This could happen for 10 minutes or more at a time, disconnecting and reconnecting over and over.

To add insult to injury the pump decided to become faulty. I hope the replacement doesn't have these issues.

It's not even 2 months old. Also, I don't have a spare cooler while I ship it out. I'm a bit choked.

If you want to hear the pump. I didn't record the disconnect issue.

https://support.corsair.com/ci/fattach/get/349649/1550083226/filename/New+Recording+5.m4a

Hey! sorry to wake up this post but I have the same problem on my h100i pro platinum even months after your problem, usb deconection sound and light doing weard things but only on the pump. I tried force updating the firmware but no...nothing. I think the pump tried to show 2 light programme in once and no closing Icue doesn't change any thing...

please help...

PS: The usb sound is just when y plug or unplug something (HDMI, USB)

And the light bug is not all time, It is very unstable and every time i touch something in Icue it glitch again...

Edited by noenic