Corsair Community

Corsair One port summary/explanation needed pls

CNBIII

Can someone please clearly explain what each of the ports in the Corsair One do (including where there is overlap - e.g., 4 different types of USB ports), and which should be used for what purposes? I find it very confusing and although generally up and running, not 100%. For example, I have a Chord Mojo (https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo/) that I would like to output PC audio via en route to desktop speakers ... but haven't figured out where/how to connect it to the Corsair One via USB and it work/show up as an audio option. (When I click on the volume indicator, only options I get are my Dell monitor (which is silly as it doesn't have speakers) and "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition)", which I am pretty sure is the (hold on, getting all technical here ...) circular red port labeled "L out" in the middle of the top of the rear panel.)

Here is the listing of ports from the Corsair website, but I've no idea in many cases which is which on the actual PC (see attached pic of rear panel). Plus the below only lists 11 ports - and there are more than that (at least when the circular etc. ones are included).

Thanks in advance!

1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C

1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A

2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A

2x USB 2.0 Type-A

1x PS/2 Port

1x HDMI 2.0

2x DisplayPort

1x S/PDIF

89860840_36263_corsair20one20pro20review20-20rear20panel.thumb.jpg.02c4ded4289bbd19fd94cde6e2fdccfc.jpg

• Administrators

Sounds like the driver for the Mojo may not be installed. The manual says it can be found on their site. Looks like they're right below the manual on the right hand side of the link you posted.

As for the ports in that pic:

• Top 2x3 ports are audio.
  • Next two are for wi-fi antennas.
  • RJ45 (think big phone jack) is for an ethernet cable.
  • The 6 USB ports are for anything USB. The red ones (3.1) are faster than the black ones (2.0).
  • The PS/2 port is for old school keyboards and mice (and other really old things).
  • The display ports and HDMI are for video out.

The USB port you use won't matter for things like keyboards, mice, printers, etc., but if you have an external HDD that uses USB 3.x, use the 3.x ports for faster data transfer. I didn't see anything mentioning the USB speed of that device, so check with the manufacturer, but generally USB ports are color coded to mark the type. I'd guess it's USB 2.0.

Technobeard, thanks very much. Re the Mojo, driver install did it. (I'm coming from 10 years in Apple ecosystem, where most stuff is just plug and play; had largely forgotten about need for drivers.)

Re ports, coincidentally, in submitting my ticket to support (per your response to me in other thread), I found this port (and hardware) description. Not readily visually clear, or entirely complete though.

Re lack of visual clarity, you've got the info scattered across three places (Rear IO Panel, Front Panel, and then the color-coded picture and chart) - why make your reader have to work through three different places when your goal is to clearly present info?

Re completeness (or lack thereof), (1) it simply notes five separate ports as "audio" rather than explaining what each is, (2) doesn't ID whatever that is next to the wifi connectors, and (3) doesn't adequately detail the differences between ports with overlapping functionality. Further re (3), some of that is discernible (e.g., I assume USB 3.1 Gen 1 is faster than USB 2.0, and then USB 3.1 Gen 2 faster still), but also I think I've seen here on the forum that there is a difference between the two DisplayPorts. Keep in mind your user here: unlike Corsair's component parts, many of which I assume are purchased by PC builders, a meaningful part of the One customer base is probably people (like me) that want a high-end computer but who don't have the knowledge or time (or both!) to build their own.

Suggest you delete everything but the color-coded picture and chart. Change the location references from numbers (1 through 10) to letters (a, b, c, etc.). Then you can add to the chart a new column with the quantity of each port (the only info currently presented in the panel descriptions I suggest deleting that isn't already in the chart), without the quantity numbers being confusing vs the location references. Then add one more notes/info column adding additional relevant (with your end-user in mind) info re each (e.g., what the five different audio ports are for, that display port is higher speed connection than hdmi port (something I had to spend time figuring out when first hooking up my monitor), your point re "PS/2 port is for old school keyboards and mice (and other really old things)", USB speed differentials, etc.).

Lastly make that info front and center for users. Hope this is helpful - look forward to your thoughts (and at a minimum would appreciate an explanation re the five audio ports and the unlabeled port next to the wifi connections).

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a Corsair ONE. I'm trying to figure out the meaning of the (mislabeled?) five analog audio jacks on the rear panel. In particular... the five ports are labeled "L-In" (black), "L-Out" (Red), mic, "CS-Out" (black, lower left), and "RS-Out" (lower center).

What do they actually mean?

From googling aroundl, here's what most motherboards produce:

"green - front speakers - line out

black - subs and center - cs out /center/sub out/

orange - rear speakers - rs out /rear speakers out/"

SO... I'm guessing:

L-Out has LEFT and RIGHT analog output

CS-Out has CENTER and LFE/Subwoofer

RS-Out has LEFT-SURROUND and RIGHT-SURROUND

L-In is LINE-LEVEL-LEFT-RIGHT inputs

Mic is Stereo microphone-level inputs

Truth?

I called the support number and was told something completely contradictory with the above, and was specifically told that "Rs" was a new type of cable standard!

I have put in a support ticket asking for a concrete description of all the ports, including DisplayPort, HDMI, etc. I'm specifically interested in max supported frame rates, etc., but I suspect the answer is "whatever the 1080 supports," which is fine. A block diagram of the various USB ports (which ones should I use for what) would be helpful, but not essential.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For the benefit of anyone following this thread, apparently Corsair is now including a quick start guide with new Ones that (largely) answers the above questions; they've also posted a PDF thereof here, stickied at the top of the forum. (And I am moving my additional/followup questions to there.)

Well, actually I am NOT moving my followup port-related comments/questions to that thread, because it's closed. So:

1. First off, thanks to Corsair/whoever there put this together - much appreciated.

2. Is there any difference between the two DisplayPort ports? I thought I read somewhere in this forum that there is - one is more capable than the other. (If the graphics card option makes a difference re that, I have a 1080Ti.)

3. Thanks for the efforts re the audio cluster, but unfortunately still not entirely clear.

a. I don't fully understand the center/subwoofer out, rear out, line-in/side out, line-out/front out labeling. I assume center/sub is for a subwoofer OR if you have three front speakers (one of which is a center). Rear out I assume is rear (surround sound) speakers. What is "side speaker' out? Is that for 7.0 (or 7.1) systems that have side speakers in addition to front x2, center x1 and rear x2? (I'm vaguely aware of the existence of 7.1 but have never had anything more than a 5.1 system.) Most important, I assume the line-out/front speaker out is the correct one for 2 desktop computer speakers and/or headphones. What if one has both desktop computer speakers AND headphones - any way to have them both plugged into the One and switch back and forth between them (without using an additional audio switching device)?

b. What do the channel references (2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate) mean?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hi CNBIII, sorry for the late reply. The DisplayPorts will perform the same.

In regards to the audio cluster, the channel dots show that these ports would be used when your speaker system has so many channels (2,4,6,8). EX: The Line-Out Front Speaker Out would be used in pretty much all the channel setups, but the Center/Subwoofer out would only be used when you had a speaker system that could use 6 or 8 channels.

So, side speaker would be used in 8 channel, like you mentioned, 7.1 (7 speakers plus subwoofer) and the front speaker out would be the default for a 2 speaker setup.

Unfortunately, you'll have to switch back and forth when moving from speakers to headphones. You may be able to assign a port to output like the Front speaker out, but we've seen degraded volume and sound.

Archived