Corsair Community

Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE

WhiskeyOmega

So ... it's running but the window isn't being displayed? If you display the window, do the blackscreens return?

And did anything change? Driver updates? Windows update?

I dont think anything else has changed. Ive just restarted icue to make sure.

I have been having the same issue with my computer (i7 4930k with an Asus P9X79 LE motherboard).

I'll try running some of the configurations listed above and see what changes. I will also add that I had similar issues a while back when I had the Corsair LINK software installed for my H100i. I had never fully diagnosed the issue, but it sorted itself out after a fresh install of Windows a while back. I recently installed iCUE due to a purchase of a new keyboard, mouse, and headset, and this started happening again.

I believe my issue is related to this. My computer refuses to shut down; instead, I get a black screen. If I wait long enough, eventually I'll get an error message with some hexadecimal codes and a mention of Corsair.Adapter.DisplayService.exe. I usually can't use my mouse at that point, though my keyboard still works, so I can press Enter to close the dialog. After that, nothing happens; the screen stays black. My keyboard is responsive (Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock work), but nothing I press has any effect, including Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

I've attached a log file containing a large number of exceptions from iCUE.

I went through the Windows event logs and found this for CLinkIntegrationService during shutdown: "Service has been successfully shut down." That appears to be before it stalls. The only Application-tier event after that before I held the power button to power it off was from User Profile Service: "The User Profile Service has stopped."

The issue started when I disabled all pagefiles. I wasn't encountering this issue with a pagefile enabled, but that could be a coincidence.

Service_Error.log

Edited by Zenexer

Why did you disable the pagefile in the first place?

Afaik it's a very important thing, even with enough RAM installed.

Eh... yes and no. It's a little more complicated than, "you need a pagefile no matter what." In my case, it was unnecessary. Or, at least, it should've been. It was hindering performance of certain operations.

Edited by Zenexer

Hi all,

Our devs are working on analyzing the issue but would like everyone affected to do some in-depth testing. If possible, please try all of the tests below and report back to me:

Test #1 (to check if problem is caused exactly by iCUE components)

1. Uninstall all monitoring programs like AIDA, CPU-Z, etc.

2. Uninstall all soft for lighting like AURA, MysticLight, EVGA XOC etc.

3. Uninstall CLink.

4. Install the last version of iCUE

Question: Will black screen appear after some time?

Test #2 (to check if problem is caused by iCUE UI window)

1. Install the last version of iCUE

2. Open Windows Services

3. Find "Corsair Service" and open its Properties (Double click on the service)

4. Switch Startup type of the service to "Disabled" and apply settings

5. Restart the PC

6. Open Task Manager -> Processes tab and check that iCUE.exe is working, Corsair.Service.exe and Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe are not working

Question: Will black screen appear in this mode?

Test #3 (to check if problem is caused by service part of iCUE)

2. Make sure "Corsair Service" is enabled in Windows Services

3. Open iCUE -> Settings -> Disable parameter "Start on system startup"

4. Restart the PC

5. Open Task Manager -> Processes tab and check that iCUE.exe is not working, Corsair.Service.exe and Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe are working

Test #4 (to check if problem is caused by CPUID)

2. Open iCUE -> Settings -> Disable parameter "Start on system startup"

3. Open Windows Services

4. Find "Corsair Service" and Stop it (do not disable it!)

5. Open folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software"

6. Rename or delete cpuidsdk.dll in the folder

7. Restart the PC

8. Open Task Manager -> Processes tab and check that iCUE.exe is not working, Corsair.Service.exe and Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe are working

Test #5 (to check if problem is caused by Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe)

2. Open iCUE -> Settings -> Disable parameter "Start on system startup"

3. Open Windows Services

4. Find "Corsair Service" and Stop it (do not disable it!)

5. Open Task Manager -> Processes and kill Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe

6. Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software" folder

7. Rename or delete Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe in the folder

8. Reboot the PC

9. Open Task Manager -> Processes tab and check that iCUE.exe and Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe are not working, Corsair.Service.exe is working

Thanks for helping us assist this issue.

Ok I've done all 5 tests. For tests 3, 4 and 5 a clean installation of iCUE was performed. The tests were done with about 15 consecutive hours per day of PC activity (gaming mainly) for 2 days, unless the issue occurred before. These are the results:

Test #1: Yes, black screen occurred.

Test #2: No, there was no issue, but seems that my keyboard (K95 Platinum) don't go off after the shut down.

Test #3:Yes, black screen occurred

Test #4: No, there was no issue.

Test #5: Yes, black screen occurred.

And you are or are not experiencing the issue as well?

Question: Are your chipset drivers updated?

Sorry, I typed all that and forgot to say that I was having the same issues. So, yes I was experiencing the same issue until I uninstalled. My chipset drivers are up to date

Not to be unconstructive (I already was pretty constructive in my Reddit thread —

) but, devs, when should we expect a fix? If you can't name a day, a week will do.

Cause it may come as a shock to you, but when we consumers buy hardware, we expect it (and its software) to work. Not cause PC crashes. We're not asking for too much — I don't expect M65 to make me a pro Fortnite player :) But I sure expect it to not crash my PC when I'm playing the game.

And judging by that Reddit thread - boi, oh boi, I am not alone.

Now I have the situation when I've paid money but can't actually use a mouse, and the piece of plastic is just laying around, cause without software it's sensitivity and binding functions just won't work. And I didn't buy it for double-clicking the cells in some Excel spreadsheets.

So should I sell it on ebay already (and hope that buyer won't have the same crash) or is there a chance that a fix is actually coming in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks for the prompt clarification! :3

Not to be unconstructive (I already was pretty constructive in my Reddit thread —
) but, devs, when should we expect a fix? If you can't name a day, a week will do.

Cause it may come as a shock to you, but when we consumers buy hardware, we expect it (and its software) to work. Not cause PC crashes. We're not asking for too much — I don't expect M65 to make me a pro Fortnite player :) But I sure expect it to not crash my PC when I'm playing the game.

And judging by that Reddit thread - boi, oh boi, I am not alone.

Now I have the situation when I've paid money but can't actually use a mouse, and the piece of plastic is just laying around, cause without software it's sensitivity and binding functions just won't work. And I didn't buy it for double-clicking the cells in some Excel spreadsheets.

So should I sell it on ebay already (and hope that buyer won't have the same crash) or is there a chance that a fix is actually coming in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks for the prompt clarification! :3

I get where you're coming from believe me since Ive had this problem for 1 whole year now since the same problem happened with Corsair's Link. So I suppose if anyone should be salty around here it should be me. Im glad now so many people have come forward. But There ways around not getting the issue rearing its ugly head so you dont have to keep it uninstalled and not use corsairs stuff in the mean time.

Im at the point of knowing how to go about not getting it for at least 3 days with either a reinstall of iCUE or having just learned this you can also disable/reboot then enable/reboot corsair service in services.

I find having more monitoring software such as AIDA64 or Speccy will only exacerbate things. I run MSI Afterburner to OC the 1080ti so i know that doesnt make it worse as well.

There isn't an ETA on a fix yet as they are still working on resolving the problem. All I can say is it won't be the 3.5 update coming out. This is a top priority for them and James will provide an update when he has something.

If you don't want to help troubleshoot the bug I recommend downgrading to CUE 2 in the meantime.

One thing that I've noticed ... for at least 2 users, Test #4 (where CPUIDSDK was deleted) did pass.

Now, this isn't ideal but iCue will function without CPUIDSDK. You won't have system temps (CPU, GPU, etc) but the other functions will work.

So ... another question ... if you delete/rename CPUIDSDK in the Corsair folder but run HWMonitor (not HWInfo), do you get the black screens as well?

I think the Asus x79 motherboards has a tendency for such problems.

I had the exact same issue (random black screens) more than a year ago after a major Windows 10 update came out (I think it was the creators update), only disabling VT-d in the bios solved it.

I think the Asus x79 motherboards has a tendency for such problems.

I had the exact same issue (random black screens) more than a year ago after a major Windows 10 update came out (I think it was the creators update), only disabling VT-d in the bios solved it.

Oh, now that's interesting.

For the others on the thread, do y'all have VT-d enabled in the BIOS? And is it just Asus or is it the x79 chipset that has the issue, I wonder?

One thing that I've noticed ... for at least 2 users, Test #4 (where CPUIDSDK was deleted) did pass.

Now, this isn't ideal but iCue will function without CPUIDSDK. You won't have system temps (CPU, GPU, etc) but the other functions will work.

So ... another question ... if you delete/rename CPUIDSDK in the Corsair folder but run HWMonitor (not HWInfo), do you get the black screens as well?

Disabling Corsair Service (Test 2) Put my fans in rainbow mode but kept them going at a standard pace and kept my mouse and keyboard propfiles going.

Renaming CPUIDSDK.dll (Test 4) Kept my colour profile going but stopped my 10 fans all together. Wasnt going to test that one for too long but while i did rename and used it for a day i didnt get a black screen.

Disabling Corsair Service (Test 2) Put my fans in rainbow mode but kept them going at a standard pace and kept my mouse and keyboard propfiles going.

Renaming CPUIDSDK.dll (Test 4) Kept my colour profile going but stopped my 10 fans all together. Wasnt going to test that one for too long but while i did rename and used it for a day i didnt get a black screen.

Question: What's the temperature source variable for your fan profiles? And these fans are on a CoPro, correct?

I got an Asus RIVBE and VT-d disabled, but the issue occours anyway.

Yeah, I have Sabertooth x79 with VT-d disabled, the issue still occurs too.

Disabling VT-d fixed the crashes which appeared with the previous major windows 10 update.

I haven't had a chance to run the tests, but I've saved profiles to the K95 and Scimitar, closed iCUE, and stopped the Corsair service, and I haven't had a black screen crash in the last 6 days. It's not ideal for my uses, since I have some macros that use profile changes or mouse clicks, but it is a workaround for the time being for anyone who has devices with on-board profile storage. Edited by zeriah

Question: What's the temperature source variable for your fan profiles? And these fans are on a CoPro, correct?

I read this and had a thought. As I know ive changed from the original temperature source variable. I actually cant tell which of the 12 threads on the i7 4930k its set to because it does read that far. But I did wonder if this had something to do with how often the black screeing occurs since I seem to not get it that often at the moment.

And yes I have CoPro for all the fans.

Edit: with 3.5.11 i can now tell I was actually on Package temp with the CoPro fans and H150i temp with the H150i temps. Changed them both now to Core #1

Edited by WhiskeyOmega