Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

I have a z390 MASTER and the 115 platinum cooler. I had thought the restart problem was an issue of rgb fusion and stopped using it entirely. Looks like it was actually the corsair side causing the problem. Or maybe both.
Nope, it doesn't matter if you have RGB Fusion installed or not. It's simply iCue not playing nicely with Platinum coolers.

Try the workaround in my signature if that's feasible for you.

Edited by Glzmo

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm having this exact issue that started yesterday.

I think it could be changing the lighting profile.

I will test to see if it stops the issue with using a static color but this then defeats the idea of buying a RGB AIO any way!

Cheers,

Dan

im currently in the process of replacing the same dam cooler for the 4th time . all 3 of mine have had a similar noise but mine sound more like grinding which corsair recon its air bubbles and no matter what I do the noise stays . plus have had issue where the cooler connects and reconnects randomly and ive has issues with the rgb on the fans blinking . not going to lie im very unhappy with my experience with a corsair product

im currently in the process of replacing the same dam cooler for the 4th time . all 3 of mine have had a similar noise but mine sound more like grinding which corsair recon its air bubbles and no matter what I do the noise stays . plus have had issue where the cooler connects and reconnects randomly and ive has issues with the rgb on the fans blinking . not going to lie im very unhappy with my experience with a corsair product

Do you have this grinding noise on startup? I have this sound on startup but then it goes away.

Do you have this grinding noise on startup? I have this sound on startup but then it goes away.
yes I do hear it on start up but on all my replacements it never went away . only on extreme mode it was as loud but on balanced or quiet mode its was loud

Hey guys, not sure if anyone has tried this yet but I was having the disconnect issues before and I read in one of the other threads that some of the other water coolers that didn't have a SATA power source to set the CPU power fan voltage @ 100%. So I set my fan into DC mode @ turbo mode and so far so good. I haven't had any disconnect issues since I restarted my computer and it's been about 2 hours. Will report back if it disconnects again.

I know we have a SATA power source, but I figure why not try it, what more could I lose? XD

Almost 4 hours now and still no USB disconnects O_O or reconnects.... No funky RGB LED lights getting all crazy... This may be the fix guys... and I haven't had any "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Settings: I'm on Rainbow Wave Link across devices. No issues!!! :D Let me know if it fixes it for you guys!

Edited by gingfreaccs

XEVwsJA.png

pK6SaTA.png

lLBmL8g.png

I'm really hoping that this is the fix because I am sick and tired of that USB disconnect sound.

The ICUe software is actually working properly now >.< I can actually control everything now without it getting rid of some of the devices (mainly the H115i platinum disappears).

Edited by gingfreaccs

So it's been a while since I updated to this and I FINALLY tracked down the issue though I am unsure if it is software related or hardware and specifically who is to blame. So let me get to the troubleshooting:

So uninstalled the iCue software and then manually ripped out all Corsair related entries in the registry. Reinstall and problem seemed to have gone away, if only this were the case.

What I believe is happening is the USB queue is getting flooded and trips over itself as a way to get back to normal. Unfortunately this seems to be caused by the fact that I currently have an ungodly amount of LEDs being controlled by the software. Keyboard, mouse, mousepad, headset, 6 LL120 Fans, H100i Platinum cooler, PSU, headset stand. If I have anything more than 3 LL120s and my keyboard with lights on the USB issues start occurring again.

I don't have a solid fix on this issue but what I have found works so far is to have the lights off and let it be.

*Shrug* I've pretty much given up all hope that this is able to be solved and have resigned myself to this being normal from here on out. So long as the fans and the cooler work with the profiles instead of defaulting to full speed (gets rather loud) I can deal.

Pretty much lost faith in Corsair iCue dev team and their lackluster response to this issue. Hardware is great, customer service is great, iCue team is basically nonexistent and starting to appear to be unable to figure this out and seems to be the weakest part of the company.

If this is fixed I will retract that statement but I don't see that happening without a complete overhaul of the software and how it handles things. I will give it this though, if I fire the whole thing up light wise it looks great........for the 20-30 seconds it takes to start spazzing out again.

One request though, can we get an uninstaller that will completely wipe out Corsair software registry info wiped from the system so I don't have to do this by hand every time I get the ambition to do it and update the software? That would be great, ok?

I already have the 7th replacement pump and ALL have usb disconnects. It's not a hardware issue, it's related to a big iCUE issue
It's a shame Corsair support still hasn't been informed about the issue and that replacing the hardware with the same model won't help at all.

If it is indeed a hardware issue, then it's likely faulty for all of these Platinum coolers and they would have to be recalled completely. But it's more likely to be a software and/or firmware bug that needs to be fixed. I'm just baffled that none of the reviewers seem to have caught it (which makes me think maybe going back to an older firmware might help, but where do you get it?) - I guess they just run benchmarks and not Steam or other things that trigger this in conjunction with iCue on these coolers.

Try the workaround in my signature and see if you can live with that.

Edited by Glzmo

It's a shame Corsair support has no clue about what the causes of the issue are even though they are even though they are well documented on this forum among other places.

Try the workaround in my signature and see if you can live with that.

It's a shame that they don't reply to this very important issue at all which affects every pump (or at least nearly every)...

Update: it's been almost 9 hours and still no USB Disconnect!!!!! ICUe is still working, all my devices are still there. No USB descriptor device failure.... This is the fix guys!!!

I just followed these steps:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801

No workaround! Rainbow Wave link! No problems at all!!! No restarts! No artifacts! ICUE Software working completely well!!

This all makes sense now! I just realized that whenever I had my fans on Turbo Mode I didn't have problems with ICUe software because I had the cpu fans (in which the AIO is connected to) go on turbo mode as well! This time I have it set on my bios that CPU_Fan gets 100% of the power and so far so good! I've been running it all day and no problems with USB disconnect or artifacts on the RGB. Enjoying the Rainbow Wave Link across my devices :)

What's funny is that you guys have been complaining about this since November of 2018 and I've only had my system for less than thirty days and I may have solved the issue for you guys XD jk jk let me know if this solution helps for you guys because it definitely helped with me. Maybe Corsair might compensate me for this fix :D

Edited by gingfreaccs

This all makes sense now! I just realized that whenever I had my fans on Turbo Mode I didn't have problems with ICUe software because I had the cpu fans (in which the AIO is connected to) go on turbo mode as well! This time I have it set on my bios that CPU_Fan gets 100% of the power and so far so good! I've been running it all day and no problems with USB disconnect or artifacts on the RGB. Enjoying the Rainbow Wave Link across my devices :)

What's funny is that you guys have been complaining about this since November of 2018 and I've only had my system for less than thirty days and I may have solved the issue for you guys XD jk jk let me know if this solution helps for you guys because it definitely helped with me. Maybe Corsair might compensate me for this fix :D

Don't know what the hell is funny on this... It is not our task to test different things to solve this issue. This is the task of the Corsair devs who get paid for this.

It is not, but I seem to have found the solution anyway. Enjoy ICUe to its fullest potential if this solution works for you. No more solid color, no more turning ICUe off, no more workaround. Enjoying Rainbow Wave Link and controlling my fans through the software as we speak.

It is not, but I seem to have found the solution anyway. Enjoy ICUe to its fullest potential if this solution works for you. No more solid color, no more turning ICUe off, no more workaround. Enjoying Rainbow Wave Link and controlling my fans through the software as we speak.

This is not the fix. You have found an old post for a well known power issue that literally states, "If you have an AIO Liquid CPU cooler that uses SATA connector, please ignore this post".

The H115i Platinum that this thread is predominantly about is SATA powered...it does not connect to the mobo in the way you think and therefore this setting is irrelevant.

Not trying to be picky...but don't wont this to mislead people.

Like I said earlier, I just tried it out as a last resort. ICUe hasn’t crashed, usb has not disconnected, everything is running smooth like butter. That link is the only thing I tried and for some reason it’s working for me. I know that it is powered by SATA. I don’t know how it works in the software but that cpu fan port is affecting the hardware in some form or another. I’ll go enjoy my rainbow wave link and no usb disconnect. :)

Since I changed the power setting on the cpu_fan I haven't had any problems with either software or hardware. My computer has been on for 12 hours and i'm still able to change the settings on ICUe software and it hasn't crashed. No wonky RGB lighting in the fans or pump itself. This will be my last post regarding this, you can either try it or not. It has worked for me so:sillygrin

I only shared what I tried and discovered and it worked. Up to the devs to further investigate it but so far so good and I don't have to hear that accursed usb disconnect sound and actually have a functional ICUe software.

Edited by gingfreaccs

Ok first thing is I want you to go ask your mom to beat you since you need it. Your "FIX" does not do a damn thing. If you had actually looked through this thread with anything approaching a level of intelligence beyond a gnat I would have pity on you but in this you prove to be nothing but a troll.

Secondly, they wont. They have standards. Go home.

From what I understand, this doesn't affect every Platinum cooler - it has something to do with the USB port that it's connected to. Apparently the Commander Pro and some ... I think ... z390 chipsets are problematic.

Mine is connected to a CoPro. I did have frequent disconnects. I don't any longer. What I did was I changed the lighting to have 1 base static color as then a single "Rain" effect on top of it. I have it configured for ML-RGB fans but don't have any fans actually connected to the RGB controller on the cooler. And I don't have the effects applied to the fans. If I add more effects, I get disconnects. Some other effects do more disconnects than others. Color Wave or Sequential, for example, cause disconnects pretty quickly.

It's not ideal but it's better than a static color and it works with the rest of my lighting. Corsair is working on this and I get everyone's frustration ... but I suspect that it's a problem at the firmware level.

From what I understand, this doesn't affect every Platinum cooler - it has something to do with the USB port that it's connected to. Apparently the Commander Pro and some ... I think ... z390 chipsets are problematic.

Mine is connected to a CoPro. I did have frequent disconnects. I don't any longer. What I did was I changed the lighting to have 1 base static color as then a single "Rain" effect on top of it. I have it configured for ML-RGB fans but don't have any fans actually connected to the RGB controller on the cooler. And I don't have the effects applied to the fans. If I add more effects, I get disconnects. Some other effects do more disconnects than others. Color Wave or Sequential, for example, cause disconnects pretty quickly.

It's not ideal but it's better than a static color and it works with the rest of my lighting. Corsair is working on this and I get everyone's frustration ... but I suspect that it's a problem at the firmware level.

It's not just Z390. I previously had a Z170 board and had the same issue.

And I also still get disconnects with a static color for the inner leds and Arc on top of that for the outer leds.

A d corsair is now working since 4 or 5 months on this and they don't respond in the public if they even see a chance to fix this issue. Because if they can't they HAVE TO recall their Platinum coolers.

I appreciate this, but I'm on a b450 AMD board and still have the issue. I even have the issue when set to a single static colour. It just only happens every 5-10 minutes instead of every 1-2. I've tried every workaround I can think of at this stage, from reading all of these posts and threads.

Something I've just realised is that this depends on the number of USB ports I'm using for peripherals... (?) - as soon as I use most/all of my ports, this issue happens consistently. When I take a couple things out of the ports, no more disconnecting... - anyone else able to replicate this?

Edited by Taroskin