Corsair Community

Bad AX860

RyanD

I used to build computers professionally for aviaton A/V systems, so I assure you this isn't operator error.

Built a brand new rig, all parts bought new from Amazon. I started it up for the first time and thought I smelt a slight burning smell which went away in under 5 seconds. The machine wouldn't recognise my secondary storage drive (WD 2TB on Sata Port1). I switched the sata and power connenctors from my primary drive (Sata Port0 and Power Cable A) to secondary (WD2 TB) drive with primary disonnected and same, no HDD recognised. Then I switched another WD 2TB, same model number, from another build onto the new rig on Sata port 0 and Power Connector A and it worked fine. Then thinking I had a bad Sata port or cable on Sata Port1, I pluged the borrowed drive into Sata Port1 with Power connector A and it worked fine. I then plugged the donor drive into Sata Port1 Power Connector B and it did not recognise it and yet again smelt what we can all agree is the smell of money burning. The brand new WD 2TB and the donor WD 2TB no longer work.

From this I can tell Corsair's brand new PSU or its supplied connector is to blame. My question is who should pay for this? The PSU I know is under full warranty. Am I stuck with $270 in dead HDDs? I can return one to amazon and say it burnt up but I feel WD shouldn't have to pay for Corsair's poor quality control. Anyone ever have to deal with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived