Corsair Community

Force 3 120 GB 5.02 BSOD

droflim

so i came here after having a number of problems with my force3. seems the issue is not rare, but i thought i would make a new post because i am using the 5.02 firmware and don't see many posts relating to that version.

the drive is only a week old, came with 5.02 firmware on it.

install windows 7 professional x64. seem to be able to get as far as installing SP1, then after that, BSOD is very frequent.

mobo is asus p5q-e with intel ich10-r sata controller.

i have also tried the mobo's marvell controller and various ports.

have tried intel and ms sata drivers.

have tried various sata cables.

am fairly sure its the drive as other components test out ok.

please help? am very frustrated as i have gone through the post of suggestions for force drives and BSOD but found none of the solutions worked

also, i likely dont have time to test this hypothesis, but the system seemed ok PRE-sp1. (since it takes like an hour to download and install all the updates.. which i was able to do. but now, i will get a BSOD or a freeze after anywhere from 5-30 minutes of use)

cheers :(:

• 1 month later...

well, i zeroed the drive and tried the intel update, no dice. i did also try the marvell as i stated previously which had same problem.

so i had a dell machine kicking around and tried the drive in there. same issue :(

for fun i tried to install linux instead of windows. oddly, linux seems more stable, but on occassion the system will not boot (instead going into a loop of reboots) -- even after a fresh install :/

requested a second RMA...

yes, i used parted magic to secure erase the drive via internal secure erase command. however note that if you use parted magic to secure erase, it reads:

"Internal: Secure Erase command writes zeroes to entire data area."

ie: http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/10/03/Internal_secure_erase.png

What do you mean you say you "zeroed" the drive? Zeroing a drive is not the same as a secure erase and is terrible for an SSD.

yes, i used parted magic to secure erase the drive via internal secure erase command. however note that if you use parted magic to secure erase, it reads:

"Internal: Secure Erase command writes zeroes to entire data area."

ie: http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/10/03/Internal_secure_erase.png

That terminology is incorrect when referring to SSDs. It is correct when referring to a HDD and the secure erase command as it applies to HDDs. "Zeroing" a HDD and secure erasing an SSD are 2 different things.

SSDs internal secure erase command initiates a voltage spike which flushes ALL data from the writable area of the SSD. This means each cell is restored to a completely unwritten state.

Zeroing an SSD the same way you zero a HDD will write 0s to the entire writable area which is not an unwritten state. This will bring your drive performance to a crawl until TRIM, garbage collection, or a secure erase restores it.

Archived