Corsair Community

Case fan flickering

wonderin

Hi,

i have my front case (780t) fan (af140l) flickering with its light. Not load dependant (only one fan has this behavior.

when I change the fan speed to max the flickering disappears.

is there any other solution but using them at 100% speed all the time?

Most likely there is an issue in the wire or led itself. Full blast is 12v and overcoming the limitation, but obviouly not a solution. You can check to see if the case fan wire is pinched, but otherwise you likely want replace it. If you are still in the warranty period you can contact Corsair directly through the Ticket Support System. However, you can get another AF140 LED in white or red (depending on case color) for a relatively low cost. That is likely the fastest resolution.

*You may want to swap the two fans on the 780T controller connections to rule out any problem on the splitter wire. The same fan should still flicker after swap. If it changes, then the problem is up stream.

Most likely there is an issue in the wire or led itself. Full blast is 12v and overcoming the limitation, but obviouly not a solution. You can check to see if the case fan wire is pinched, but otherwise you likely want replace it. If you are still in the warranty period you can contact Corsair directly through the Ticket Support System. However, you can get another AF140 LED in white or red (depending on case color) for a relatively low cost. That is likely the fastest resolution.

*You may want to swap the two fans on the 780T controller connections to rule out any problem on the splitter wire. The same fan should still flicker after swap. If it changes, then the problem is up stream.

they are not connected to controller, but to mobo. problem appears only when fans are at <80% (<10v?). i've set them to work between that gap

It makes me wonder if perhaps the fan controller isn't actually dropping the voltage but is turning it on and off. Does the problem happen on the other fan if it's on the same header?

I don't use case fan controller, fans are connected to mobo (chasis 1&2). looks like the problem with lights appears only on voltage below 10v (80%). it's slightly flickering, not fully blinking (like actual lights with low voltage).

Yes, we get that now. You were talking in voltages. The 780T has a 5/7/12v fan controller for the front fans. Motherboards typically display their fan controls in %. I assumed incorrectly it was on the case controller, although it doesn't make a difference for troubleshooting. Everything points to a problem on the fan, likely the LED itself. However, it seemed prudent to suggest you swap the fan to a different header to make sure the issue traveled with the fan and did not stay with the power supplied by that specific header. It would be wasteful to buy another fan if the problem was elsewhere.

I don't use case fan controller, fans are connected to mobo (chasis 1&2). looks like the problem with lights appears only on voltage below 10v (80%). it's slightly flickering, not fully blinking (like actual lights with low voltage).

I get that. The motherboard still has a fan controller built into the motherboard. It's not just "magic".

So ... let me ask again, if you switch the header for the fan that's working fine with the one that's flickering, does the flickering follow the fan or follow the header?

80% of 12v is 9.6v anyway, whether i'm talking about voltages, it corresponds. so, let me tell you again...the problem appears at both fans when the power is below 80% (=below 9.6v), one fan flickers are a bit less expressed than another. above 80% power all works perfectly fine.

it's not a big deal for me.

thanks for your input!

Archived