Corsair Community

Faulty PSU/Damaged Motherboard, Plase Advise!

Hello,

Just over a year ago I purchased a Corsair 850w HX Series PSU from Aria, and an Asus P8P67 Evo motherboard from Scan.

A few of days ago my PC shut down with no warning. It would not turn on, and I could not figure out what was wrong. After a while it turned back on, and I put it down to overheating. Over the next few days it would randomly shut off, sometimes coming back on when the power button was pushed, and other times not.

I asked on another forum, and they suggested getting a PSU tester to see if there was some kind of problem with PSU. It arrived today, and I unplugged the leads from the PSU in preparation for testing, when I noticed something rather worrying - there was scorches on the motherboard 24-pin socket, and that one of the 'pins' on the PSU plug was melted, as well as the lead going to the pin being blackened (it looks like it was originally yellow but is now brown with a bit of black!). I have some pictures and video if you would like to see the damage.

So it seems like a fault/short in the PSU has damaged not only itself, but the motherboard too!

So my question is this - who pays for the damage? The warranty on the PSU is 7 years, and the motherboard has a 3-year warranty.

This whole is situation is a total nightmare, it's taken me a year to pay off this PC, and I finally paid the last £100 off the credit card yesterday!

Please help!

PS. Please excuse any spelling/grammatical errors, I am using my mum's laptop and it's full of crumbs (not to mention disgustingly slow!)

• Corsair Employee
Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can get it replaced for you. And once you have the RMA conformation you can contact our customer service by phone and request an advanced RMA to limit your down time.

• Corsair Employee

Once you have the RMA conformation I would contact our customer service they will instruct you on what to do. Just explain the situation to them.

You can install SKYPE and then call the toll free number listed under contact on the main site for free.

Ok, I am just contacting Asus about the motherboard. A moderator on the Asus forums seems to think that the warranty should cover the damage, so I might just be able to sent the motherboard back to them and the PSU to you, regardless of which part caused the short. Does that sound right to you, or does the part have to be the cause of the damage to be replaced or repaired?

• Corsair Employee
Well yes at this point we do not know what was at fault, but the first part of this is to initiate the RMA and contact our customer service they will explain the steps to you.

• Corsair Employee
When you fill out the request it will create a case number from the first page and will email you a conformation once it is submitted please check your spam folder and let me know the case number I will get it approved for you right away.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry I don't want to sound like a broken record but you will have to take that up with our customer service. I gave you the directions on how to contact them previously.

Well... ok, but I am not happy that you've rushed me through the process.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you're RMAing the PSU, but I could have used some info before I went through the RMA process. If I had known that you wanted me to post overseas, or that I would have to pay the postage, I wouldn't have bothered to RMA through you, and instead gone to the online shop I bought it from.

Well... ok, but I am not happy that you've rushed me through the process.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you're RMAing the PSU, but I could have used some info before I went through the RMA process. If I had known that you wanted me to post overseas, or that I would have to pay the postage, I wouldn't have bothered to RMA through you, and instead gone to the online shop I bought it from.

If you have not already shipped the PSU, you still have the choice. You can RMA to your shop if you like.

If you have not already shipped the PSU, you still have the choice. You can RMA to your shop if you like.

I think I may have to, I just cannot afford the cost of shipping, especially if it turns out the PSU wasn't faulty (but is damaged), and then have to pay to have it shipped back to me.

TheAlchemist

Have you spoke to our customer service? I would strongly suggest you speak with them about this I am sure they will do what ever they can to help you.

No I didn't speak with them. They asked me for a phone number so they could call me, but I am not prepared to give my credit card details over the phone for the advanced RMA, nor am I willing to spend loads of money to ship the PSU to the Netherlands, and then probably pay a repair fee. Aria, the company I bought it from, haven't replied to a single email or forum post, so it's all come to a standstill.

I am really quite upset by all this. I am almost certainly going to be out of pocket for either a new PSU, new motherboard, or both. Even if one company (Corsair or Asus) would admit to a fault, I expect there is no chance they will a) repair/replace for free, and b) cover the expense of replacing or repairing the part which wasn't at fault, but was damaged. I have written off companies in the past because I was unhappy with their after-market support, and it's becoming harder and harder to find PC part manufacturers who don't have overly-complicated CS, or non-existent CS.

It seems nobody wants to just give a straight answer any more.

• Corsair Employee

TheAlchemist

We cannot speak to you about this on the forum for the same reasons you don't want to give out your credit information over the phone. As I have stated several times now the questions and answers may be different when you speak to someone over the phone. It is more secure than posting that information over the forum. Please just call them instead of driving your self nuts. At least then you will know what your options are.

In addition, we are a corporation not a small company and we have been doing Business as Corsair for more than 15 years and I have been here ten years we have never charged anyone for a repair.

All of this and more can be explained to you over the phone. I would suggest installing skype and calling the toll free number it will not cost you a dime. shilling or peso or what ever money you use.

Archived